Amazon/BBC show Fleabag (spoilers possible after OP)

the whaaaaaaaaaaat?

If you don’t know the new series avoid it. It has a great first episode and then…it gets really bad really fast.

It suffers from what I have decided to dub Mindy Kaling syndrome. She gets a great idea and then doesn’t know what to do with it so she throws in random jokes that undermine her characters reality in order to be superficially entertaining and things just fall apart. This is a hallmark of her stuff. Starts strong, goes nowhere, gets infuriating quickly.

If you love the new series, well we have very different taste and it might explain why I think Fleabag is one of the 5 best shows of the decade and you didn’t make it to episode 2. Not that there is anything wrong with that. You like what you like.

Can we take a minute to discuss how Andrew Scott needs to be a much bigger star than he is? His performance as the priest in season two was amazing. Subtle when it needed to be, not when it didn’t. I loved when he eventually started looking at the camera, and his reaction to foxes. Both things that sound good on paper but are, in reality, not easy to pull off without looking cheesey. Brilliant actor.

Um AGREED. What the hell is the ‘new series of Four Weddings’. I’ve never HEARD of such a thing. Who even makes it??

Here’s a thread for you – https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?p=21827934

Absolutely…that final goodbye too…

Every time he was on screen I was like, what the hell is Ruffalo doing here? I’m not great with faces, but something about him made me think he was Dr. Banner’s younger brother.

I know. I KNOW.

suffers another emotional breakdown as a result of this show

If any one is interested, Phoebe Waller-Bridge has brought the original Edinburgh stage show of Fleabag to the National Theatre. It’s sold out but they’re showing it live at movie theatres all over. She’s getting great reviews so might be worth checking out. I often go the national Theatre live route when things I want to see are sold out. The viewing experience is a bit different but you get used to it pretty quick.

I also absolutely loved Fleabag, and fully endorse this. He’s been incredibly good in everything he’s been in.

Can’t wait to see what Phoebe Waller-Bridge will do next.

Oh, just work on the script for James Bond 25.

ETA and be a droid in a Star Wars movie.

We just went thru this as our comedy of the night semi-binge.

The first seasons was fairly nice. Not you standard sitcom and glad of it. Some good stuff here and there. But also some random …, well not filler but still just stuff between the good bits.

The glance away thing was very well done … but was getting a bit tiresome later on.

Then season two. Wow. Now this was really well done. A pretty different thing from the first season. Esp. with her priest calling her out on her glances to the camera.

In the season (series?) finale, it pretty much ended just right except Olivia Coleman’s character needed to be dragged thru the streets with people tossing rotten food at her.

And why would she sit for a painting by that woman with her back to her? If I heard that was the plan it would be buh-bye time for me. And I’m nowhere near as direct (or whatever) as she is.

There was a bit of a thing around the Emmy’s when some guy described the show as being about a woman who had sex and got some flak. But the first season has that as a major plot point. Now, season 2 it’s a whole different thing. And that was what all the Emmy’s were for. But it is a fair point … for one season.

I agree that I would not sit for a painting like that, but I saw her compliance as consistent with her character. There were many other instances with her step-mom where I also would have also just left, but she allowed herself to be used and humiliated. I took it as the character’s acceptance that she was worthless and it was part of her penance for what she had done to her friend.

My girlfriend recommended it, so I gave it a shot. I only watched one episode before realizing that this is a relationship show–no thanks! Just not my cup of tea.

Some of the humor was pretty good, though, and after reading the posts above, I may watch it just as a character portrait.

It’s REALLY not a relationship show. The first episode is a pretty serious misdirect.

Well, I guess in a sense it is a show about character relationships, but so is everything.

I will have to catch this. Phoebe Waller-Bridge was the showrunner for the brilliant Emmy winning ‘Killing Eve’. (I mentioned this previously and met with zero comments/kicked hard in the nuts for being snotty or something.) . But I will have to catch this because based on ‘Killing Eve’, it must be good.

Andrew Scott was Moriarty in Sherlock with Benedict Cumberbatch. He was amazing in that too.

I have seen him as an evil jerk in that and some other things. It was so jarring to see him as a kind, thoughtful, priest.

To me, the most endearing aspect of the show was her relationship with her sister.

Me too! :slight_smile:

It’s a love story after all. It’s the first line of season 2.