Amazon Prime membership going up to $99

Mine doesn’t expire until November. I’ll have to think about whether it’s worth the increase. I live only 90 miles from an Amazon fulfillment center, so even with the free Super Saver™ shipping I usually get orders in two days, sometimes even next day.

If people are too stupid to comparison shop, they deserve to get ripped off. I just bought a frying pan from another website because it was $10 cheaper plus free shipping. I bought my iPad Air from a local Best Buy because it was on sale for $200 less than Amazon had it. Honestly, if a person is too lazy to do a short internet search, I have no sympathy for them.

In what sense is it a scam to charge a customer what you say you will charge them, in exchange for sending them the product you say you will send them, in the time frame you say it will arrive?

People sign up and pay $75 for Prime to get free shipping. If the shipping is actually added into the retail price then its not free.

Chefguy makes a valid point it’s smart to comparison shop. The local Walmart sometimes beats Amazon’s prices. Ebay sometimes has new stock at better prices. Consumers shouldn’t get lazy and click on Amazon without checking elsewhere.

But it’s so eeaaaasy.

I’m confused.

With Prime: $10 ( $10 price+$0 shipping) gets you a widget shipped to your door in 2 days.

Without Prime: $14 ( $10 price+$4 shipping) gets you a widget shipped to your door in 2 days.

Where’s the scam? Prime saves you the 2 day shipping charge in exchange for $100 per year.

Is the OP certain that it’s going up this year? I renew on April 1, and the email I received today said my price wouldn’t be going up until April 1, 2015.

Did I barely get it in under the wire?

It will go up when your current subscription runs out.

And the weekend deliveries are a HUGE benefit, especially for people that work during the week and end up missing delivery attempts – an order placed on Thursday or Friday the package comes on the weekend for FREE. I place a lot of orders on Thursdays and Fridays.

Personally, my favorite thing about the Amazon Prime membership is that the upgrade to 1-day shipping is usually very cheap, and for an expensive item is usually just a small fraction of the overall price. I often upgrade to 1day shipping, wheras if I didn’t have Prime, 1day shipping is a ridiculously huge expense.

Amazon is counting on that. I’m guilty too of just opening my browser and ordering. Driving to Walmart and finding a parking spot is such a hassle.

Somehow I haven’t had this problem. I order a ton of shit thru Amazon, but I can wait. If shipping is free for 4-5 day delivery, that’s peachy-keen fer me. I can’t see paying a penny more to get it a day or two sooner.

I must lead a laid-back life, eh? Y’all are rushing to an early grave!

You can (thanks to Orick at Slickdeals):

If your current Prime membership is scheduled to expire on or after April 17th, and therefore would auto-renew at the $99 price, you can effectively lock in the $79 price by taking the following steps:

(1) Look up your Prime expiration date. (Let’s say yours is June 11th.)

(2) Purchase a Prime Gift Membership here: Amazon.com: Amazon Prime

Set the delivery date as the date after your membership expires (in this case, June 12, 2014).

Enter your own e-mail address as the gift recipient. It is okay if this is the exact e-mail address already associated with your Amazon Prime account.

Place order (total will be $79).

(3) Turn off your Prime auto-renew.

(4) On the day after your membership expires, you will receive an e-mail from Amazon with the gift membership. Follow the instructions to apply it to your account.

http://slickdeals.net/f/6784580-heads-up-amazon-prime-price-increases-to-99-49-for-students-on-4-17-buy-a-gift-membership-to-lock-in-another-year-at-reduced-rate?p=66743626#post66743626

Reported.
We will continue with both Amazon Prime and Netflix, but I wish Amazon Prime would get a better streaming library.

Mine renewed 3/8 at $79, so the $99 won’t hit until next March. There was talk of a jump to $129 - had that been the jump, I probably would have cancelled. $129 has a much bigger mental impact for me than $99 - and that doesn’t just hold with this. I’m much more likely to debate a purchase over $100 than one of under $100.

But a $20 increase for Prime? That’s not going to make me drop it.

Wrong.

Much thanks PastTense!

Apparently. This is the message I received:

We are writing to provide you advance notice that the price of your Prime membership will be increasing. The annual rate will be $99 when your membership renews on May 17, 2014.

Yeah, it looks like PastTense has provided us with the cutoff date. Anyone after April 17 gets the shaft.

We’ll probably keep the membership as we do use it a lot (for shipping, anyway).

The book-borrowing thing is useless - while they made a huge deal about “Lots of books, even Harry Potter!!”, HP is about the only decent book I’ve ever seen. I’ve used that feature precisely once.

The selection of videos isn’t great, but is OK for a lot of TV series.