America’s Booziest Cities

Or potted in Pottawatomi?

Wasted in Wauwatosa? Or in Wausau?

Knee-walking in Kneeland?

How is New York not towards the top of that list? It’s a huge city, there are bars everywhere, they are open til 4am and people go out every night of the week. And most of them don’t need to drive anywhere.

Ahh, but Wisconsin cities are the “beeriest”… I’d love to see a list by type of alcohol.

Wisconsin is also huge on brandy – I’ve read, in the past, that Wisconsin has the highest per-capita consumption of brandy of any state, due to the popularity of cocktails like the brandy Old Fashioned.

Tavern League also pushed hard to keep bars open during Covid. Took the restaurants and diners along with them. That’s why to me it seems strange reading on this site how people long for chance to dine out again. I’ve never stopped.

ETA and in reference to the above 20 booziest cities article above. 5 of the top 6 were in Wisconsin. Interesting one of those 5 does not have a state university. Not sure how Appleton made that list. Their Oktoberfest isn’t that big.

If you’re referring to the USA Today list that I posted, the article notes that Appleton does have (a) relatively high household income (and, thus, more disposable income to spend on booze), and (b) a lot of bars.

While Green Bay (the #1 city on the list) does have a UW campus, it’s not terribly big (around 7000 students); while the students undoubtedly do contribute to the drinking, Green Bay has a tavern culture, and a love of beer and brandy, that really is pervasive.

Most USA people are not dining out not because their local restaurants are closed by government order. But rather because it’s stupidly reckless to enter a crowded restaurant.

I have not been inside a crowded restaurant since Feb 2020 and it’ll probably be at least Feb 2022 before I do go into one.

I have been in nearly empty indoor restaurants several times and lightly attended outdoor restaurants many times. More than 1 in 4 indoor tables occupied? I’m going down the street or doing without. More than 1 in 3 outdoor tables occupied? I’m going down the street or doing without. It’s my rule, but it’s an easy one to eyeball.

Admittedly this is easy(er) to do successfully where I live than in, e.g, NYC.

Or Waupaca or Waupun or Waubeka or Waunakee, or Waushara or Waucousta or Waumandee or Wausaukee or Wautoma or Wauzeka

All Wisconsin towns. I’m sure I missed others.

Missed: Waubeek, Waukau, Waukechon. All very likely to be highly boozy, being in WI.

OK, obsessed now: Lake Waubesa, Little Waupon, Waupee, Waubeesee. More boozy WI spots.

Sorry, I’m done. I’ll stop

Wow. What weird whereabouts words. Whimisical? Widespread? Wonderful? Whatever. With what worldly, worthwhile wisdom were Wisconsin W wherevers wholly welcomed?

The Wisdom of the Winnebago (and the other Native American tribes of the area). :wink:

Watertown! knew I forgot one more . . .

oh wait

For a few years in my IT career I counted a WI state executive agency as one of my customers. One part of our product was a GIS system.

We all loved wuvved(Elmer Fudd) the many witty … wait … whacky W words in the roster woster of counties and cities willages(Ensign Chekov).

We were sure lots wots of them had been wiggled in by waggish Wisconsin workers wanting to screw with wex us. :wink:

Thanks for this! There is a suburb of Los Angeles called Cudahy. I alway wondered why it was pronounced Cud-a-hey, instead of Cud-a-hee or Cud-a-high. Mystery solved.

And Cudahy, WI has its own UCLA. Cudahy HS is also known as University of Cudahy on the Lake Almost (or Aina hey).

Never said the restaurants were crowded. Actually only one was anywhere near as full as they allowed but we were able to grab an outdoor table that time. Most of them, in preCovid days, would have been considered empty.

I work in Appleton and when I last worked third shift, many a time I did a brandy and breakfast on payday. I’m just surprised it is this high on the list though. For sure I’d put La Crosse or Eau Claire there from my days when I lived in that area.

I think having a professional sports franchise in such a relatively small city skews the numbers 10-12 times a year, not counting the people that visit to watch practices.

When I lived in Vegas it was fun to (occasionally) go out for the Vegas Breakfast of Champions: Prime rib and Scotch. It pretty well killed that morning, but all day long you could revel in that trademark “Only in Vegas, Baby!” feeling. :wink: