"America was founded as a Christian nation," a guest preacher at my church claimed. Please help me dispute that

Your link does not match up with your vague and poorly chosen examples at all.

IME things like occult and satanic graffiti are used by young people to scare (some) religious people.

Maybe you have a better definition of Occult Practices.

Don’t know what IME means. Sorry.

In my experience.

FYI, here is a glossary of terms often used on these boards, though I don’t think IME was listed.

There is a strong connection between drug use and the occult in the scriptures. The word often translated as sorcery was the Greek pharmakeia. It can refer to drug use, to idolatry, or to general deception.

And maybe you should remember that the definition you were asked for was of “Sorcery”(not “occult practices”) as it pertained to your sentence “Not unlike what we see today, btw, drunkeness, sorcery, sloth, vice, and the accompanying immorality.”

My opinion is the Founding Fathers were more influenced by the 1611 King James Bible than the writings of John Locke. “Common Sense” by Thomas Paine is said to have been the tract that won over the working middle – mechanics, farmers, businessmen – to the cause of independence. For example, Paine complained about the delay caused by having to consult with the King over every decision. That was a practical matter. Paine was brilliant.

Well, for one thing, if we had followed Christian principles, we would not have revolted to begin with. Read Romans 13. A Christian is not supposed to take up arms against the government.

And there is nothing in the Bible – at least, that I know of – that supports voting for officials to rule over you. You are supposed to follow the rules of the land, as long as they don’t directly oppose scripture.

Plus, you aren’t supposed to bitch and moan and complain about paying taxes (which, from my perspective, was a huge part of the reason for the American Revolution). Just do it! Jesus paid his tax to Rome, when their government was run by heathens. (Of course, he got his tax money from a fish, but that’s a story for another day.)

I just don’t see how Jesus, as portrayed in the gospels, would support a violent revolution. His kingdom was not of this world.

If I am wrong about any of these points, please let me know.

Definition of Sorcery

This could go forever, if we allow it.

“Not unlike what we see today, btw, drunkeness, sorcery, sloth, vice, and the accompanying immorality.”
Where in today’s society do you see “sorcery” as a problem?

That’s weird because almost the entirety of the Declaration of Independence is Lockean, and almost the entirety of the U.S. Constitution written 1787-1788, was inspired by among other things John Adams’ Massachusetts Constitution, which Adams has written extensively was inspired by Locke’s Two Treatises on Government.

I’m curious if you could show how Adams and Madison who seemed to implement a number of things suggested by Locke’s Two Treatises on Government and Montesquieu’s The Spirit of the Laws, were more inspired by the “King James Bible” in laying out three branches of government with balanced power between them.

I’m a student of the Constitution and long ago was a student of the Bible, most rulers in the Bible were unelected Kings or Emperors, is there a segment on the bible about the design of legislatures, courts and a limited executive branch that I missed in 20+ years of study? The bible teaches obedience to government and obedience to God, it does not teach about division of power in government, which is the core of the U.S. Constitution.

Thomas Paine was a polemicist, and while I do agree his writings were important in drumming up support for the revolution, support for the revolution isn’t the same as “founding the country.” The country’s government was founded when the Declaration of Independence was written and ratified, and its current form of government was laid down in the U.S. Constitution.

All good points, gytalf2000. Amidst the enthusiasm for ideals, it is sometimes easy to overlook the fact that for most, the colonies attracted adventurers and businessmen. The religious idealists were vocal mainly in order to thwart, as I said in my orignal reply, a revival of the Inquisition.

USA to top 100,000 deaths by overdose this year. Over 125 cities, it is unsafe to walk the streets at night.

The country wasn’t founded by adventurers, the colonies partially were. The United States was not remotely a country until the Revolution, by which time the people making the decisions were a mixture of lawyers, other professionals, merchant traders, businessmen and farmers–most of them were farmers to some degree, even when they may have had an additional profession (e.x. John Adams maintained his ancestral farm his entire life, although his primary vocation for many years was in the law.) These were settled people with deep ties to the community, not itinerant mercenaries like John Smith–those guys were almost two hundred years dead by the time of the revolution.

You are linking this unattributed stat to sorcery?

Please provide a cite for this claim. Thanks!

Cite? There are places in any city where it’s unsafe to walk the streets. Day or night in some cases.

Well stated and unformative, Mr. Hyde.
When the Fathers assembled to write the US Constitution, they got down to the busines of drafting the charter.
When the Minutemen met the British at the bridge at Concord, they had soomething else in mind. Call it destiny.