American Cash has a distinctive smell - any reason?

I use the same wallet in the US and in Canada. When in the US, the wallet and the US bills have a distinctive smell. The smell fades after a few days back in Canada with Canuck money. I will try to conduct more sophisticated experiments on my next trip south.

On top of which, there will be trace amounts of all sorts of stuff on the bills. It’s an absorbent medium, people don’t wash their hands to handle money, and jam the bills into their pockets along with whatever else is in there. Rather than this factoid, I’d be curious to hear an overall breakdown of the contaminants typically found on well-circulated bills.

The rag stock is unique, but similar enough to that used for other applications that I have to go with the ink. If it were a matter of the contaminants, something unique would have to be getting picked up on US bills as opposed to others, and that seems improbable.

BTW, saying it’s not paper is a matter of semantics - if the stock used for US bills isn’t paper, neither is a lot of high quality stationery and so on. By common dictionary definitions, “paper” doesn’t have to be made out of wood pulp - anything fibrous will do - for example:

If you insist it’s not really paper, what are you going to call “rag paper”?