American Dopers: Do You Shop On Black Friday?

I sure do. Maybe some people prefer to avoid the crowds and pay more later. I’m too cheap to let the good prices slip away.

You couldn’t pay me enough to endure the crowds and the lines in some of those stores. Then again, maybe I would endure it all if someone would just volunteer to pay for all of my purchases :smiley:

I’ll be in Disneyland on Black Friday. I’m still trying to decide if that’s better or worse than being at the malls…

I do when my family gets together for Thanksgiving. It’s a day we’re all off from work and all in the same city. My mother loves to shop, so it’s something we can do together. It’s not because of the sales or anything–it just works out that way.

We have a holiday tradition in our household. My husband will greatly overeat on Thanksgiving. He will lie on the couch afterwards and blame me for cooking too much good food. The next day he will, no matter WHAT his work schedule, want to go shopping on Black Friday. I will roll my eyes like a teenager, tell him that he’s nuts and that he should wait a couple of days. He will go shopping anyway. He will come home, without having bought anything, dazed, bruised, and out-of-sorts. He will turn to me for sympathy. I will sneer at him and say “I TOLD YOU SO!” Ah, the holidays…Both of us will be upset with the other for a couple of days.

I am TOTALLY in the right here, of course. Seriously, I’ve cut down on the amount of food I fix for Thanksgiving, and that seems to help.

Presents my bum!
Years ago the whole family and friends agreed it was a complete waste of time and money so since then all we do is exchange the same wrapped ** EMPTY ** parcels and all we do is change the gift tag.
If I want something or my brother or my son etc, etc then we go buy it. What’s the point of fighting your way through hordes of shoppers looking for a pair of slippers for Aunt Gladys when she can go anytime and buy them herself.
Before y’all charge in with shouts of “Humbug” let me tell you that we all have a very good Christmas holiday apart from the fact I get no bloody presents

Only if they were giving out free blow jobs with every purchase over $10.00. I wonder if buy nothing day applies to buying sex?

I plan on shopping on Black Friday. Don’t plan on buying much. I would rather go see a movie!

No… I’ll be running a bloody store.

<sigh>

Need sunglasses? Got a friend/relative/pet that does?

Come to Sporting Eyes at the Mall at Millenia!

I went once, to one store, and that was enough to cure me. No parking spaces, no shopping carts, can hardly find the merchandise, and long lines. I took Wednesday off, and we went then to reconnoiter.

Those who do go - doesn’t it take twice as long as another day?

I usually take a day off in early December to finish up.

Oh shite… just remembered the “no shilling stuff” rule.

Mods, feel free to delete the post two up.

For all practical intents, the enormous multi-level city (roughly 3000 car capacity) parking lot next to my office is full. I’m looking at the top level and down at the entrance now, and there’s more cars lined up to get in than there are spaces on top. And yes, the honking, shouting and tweets of the traffic cops’ whistles are at full volume. :rolleyes:

Between Amazon’s regular Friday sale and a couple other sites, my shopping is largely done and my blood pressure is nice and low. :cool:

I hate crowds, I hate shopping, I hate malls. Despite that, I’ve actually gone shopping on Black Friday. Twice, in the last 3 years. The strange thing is that I was done with my christmas shopping and I didn’t have anything to buy.
Three years ago, I went with Mr. Congo to help him finish his shopping. We went out around midday and got everything done. The following year, we ordered pizza and spent 3 hours on the computer shopping, ate, smoked and watched a movie. He got all his shopping done and we had a great time.
Last year, I went with Mr. Congo’s mother and sister. I helped them find stuff and did all the heavy lifting and running around for his mom (she was recovering from surgery). We got to the mall at 5:00 and were out of the mall by 6:15. We got everything they needed and actually had a great time. It wasn’t that bad. I’ll never go midday again though. That was hell.

Not even if they were giving out free blowjobs, tyvm!

We were talking about this at work Wednesday. One friend was talking about layering long underwear under a snowsuit to combat the frigid temps at 3 am, as it just wouldn’t do at all not to be the first let in the store at the 5 am opening. Another plans to use her husband as a bodygaurd, she was actually injured fighting over the last whatchamacallit last year.

My sisters have been doing it for years, it’s a sickness I say! They shower, apply makeup, get fully dressed and doze on the couch so they can roll right out the door at four in the morning. They take turns, store to store, one standing on line while the other grabs all the bargains. Walkie-talkies are a major part of the strategy.

The mind boggles.