American Gods

Lowkey had a very understated introduction in the book as well, so much so that I needed to reread earlier chapters after the reveal to confirm that Gaiman had truly played fair with us.

I saw Neil Gaiman and Bryan Fuller speak about three weeks ago. They started by screening the first episode. And Gaiman said that 98% of the blood and gore in season 1 is in that first episode.

Okay watched it. Pretty good. I didn’t hear if Low Key was referenced by name yet but obviously that spoiler is more subtle in printed text than spoken aloud, so I was wondering how they’d deal with that.

The ending was very obviously a Clockwork Orange reference. Googles: yep.

A reviewer I read, who’d seen all four of the review episodes, said that severed limbs were frequent. I suspect they’re a visual metaphor for the nature of the old gods,in America.

Didn’t like the Bilquis scene, only because the effects were just a bit too obvious - I could see the puppets’ strings, so to speak.

Not quite as insane as last week but still great. Had some intermittent network issues so there were some small interruptions. Scully was great as Lucy/Media. Surprising amount of dick shots LOL. Anansi was great but I don’t remember him being precognitive in the book. Russians well done. Lots of great imagery both cosmic and closeup. Still looking forward to the taxi genie.

Episodes pop on Amazon on Mondays so I haven’t seen the second one yet.

I have to admit I couldn’t imagine how they were going to do the Bilquis scene but it was close enough to the book that it didn’t bother me, and I liked how they portrayed the Technical Boy. McShane was excellent as expected, Mad Sweeney was…less Irish…than I expected (which I suppose is not that startling for an actor named “Pablo Schreiber”), “Low Key” was hammed up a little more than I liked, and Whittle was perfectly fine. All in all a good episode, even if mostly what I noticed is that Shadow gets punched in the face a lot.

Just watched 2 first shows. Well done for a world building scenario that is very hard to execute properly. The wiki says Gaiman has made a few tweaks to the show vs the novel with some new characters like “Vulcan” a gun god, and Jesus now gets some face time!

Rewatched the first episode last night, and I noticed again the performance by the actress playing Audrey. Small role, but she really nailed it - showed the pain, and betrayal, sorrow, rage, and despair in the character. First-rate piece of acting, I thought.

Why yes, I would like to see Lucy’s tits. :stuck_out_tongue:

Loved Gillian Anderson in that scene.

I agree entirely with this. The cemetery scene was amazing - she managed to pull off feeling simultaneously angry, betrayed, grieving, horny and drugged to the gills on Atavin brilliantly.

In fact the casting and acting in general is very good - Anderson’s Lucy/Media was spot on, Leachman was perfectly cast as Zorya Vechernyaya and I could watch Peter Stormare’s dirty, blood-stained Czernobog for hours.

Just started watching with out knowing anything about the show going in. Not so sure what’s so special about Shadow (He can’t be killed maybe?) He’s supposed to be a strong arm for Wednesday but he keeps getting his ass handed to him by these god like entities.

Anyway, I’m loving the show, and I’m hoping the enigma that is Shadow will be revealed at some point.
Also, LOL’d at the naked hard on guy in space.

You are not supposed to be so sure about what’s so special about him, or even if there is.

As I recall from the book, there is nothing special about Shadow which makes him incredible.

There is something, but the significance is not specific.

Not specifically stated, sorry.

Don’t read if you don’t want to know who Shadow Moon really is.

Shadow’s full name is Baldur Moon and he was born to an American woman in Norway. In mythology, Baldur is the son of Odin (Mr Wednesday) and Frigg. His death sets off Ragnarok.

Oh, and that third episode. Perfect. Loved every minute.

Which is why I really loved this line from ep1…

Mr. Wednesday: I offer you the worm from my beak and you look at me like I fucked your mom.

Loved the bit;

Mr. Wednesday: “You’ve got your White Jesuit Jesus, your Black African Jesus, your Mexican Jesus and your swarthy Greek Jesus.”
Shadow: “That’s a lot of Jesus.”
Wotan: “Well there’s a lot of call for Jesus, so there is a lot of Jesus.”

I really like it so far. I have a signed 1st Ed. I purchased the day it came out and I have read the book many times.

My gf has never read it and I have taken to holding the book and reading annotated passages during certain scenes.

Damn, Neil knows how to write.

Another great episode (and more Czernobog action). I will admit to being somewhat irked by the brief CGI scene, which seemed unnecessary, but otherwise the story is chugging along nicely.