American Hustle - anybody see it?

It was kind of hard not to watch Amy Adams’s costumes, though. Did people really wear those kinds of super-low-cut top without a bra in the 70s?

The wife and I just watched it this afternoon (Sunday afternoon). It was pretty good. A little long, could have been tighter. Not as good as Silver Linings Playbook but still worthwhile.

I remember the Abscam scandal being in the news back then but couldn’t tell you anything about it.

Nope.

Not in West Texas. Can’t speak for NYC.

I can tell you they did - even at Calle Mayor Middle School - in Los Angeles. It’s a wonder I got anything done.

Or did I? It’s hard to remember.

I’m sure they wore them when they went out discoing. Her wearing them for business transactions could only mean that the director was relying on the age-old truism that men get stupid around boobs. But look at how much everyone is talking about it. From a business standpoint of his own it was a wise decision that if he had to cut costs somewhere, eliminating the bra budget was the place to start.

It was good, but over-rated.

Seeing the “top critics” on Rottentomatoes say it may be better than Goodfellas is vomit-worthy.

Ditto at Calle Mayor’s rival, Newton Middle School.

While I enjoyed the movie, I honestly can’t remember what happened in many of Amy Adam’s scenes. I was far too distracted.

Oooo…

Try the 6th image downhere.

Or check out the rather ordinary looking woman on the left.

70’s model Jerry Hall.

The 1970’s version ofCher.

Melissa Manchester

Yeah, quite a different Adams than we saw in Junebug, heh.

True. Different, too, from her role in The Fighter. Perhaps that’s why they call it acting?

And from Enchanted.

Speaking of Adams, I also saw Sunshine Cleaning for the first time yesterday on video and she was pretty adorable in that too. Guess I’ll have to go see her in Her just for completeness.

And Catch Me If You Can.

She was legal, right?

Legal by a decade, I just found out. That is acting!

Or maybe just braces.

It’s a textbook Ponzi Scheme. After stringing along initial investors for as long as possible, you pay them off (in full or partially) with the money invested by the latest round of investors. Stringing them along, plying their frustrations with promises and endless excuses, finding and redefining investors’ breaking points is where the con artist really shines – or so one would imagine.

Yep. Also in the theaters now, well, some theaters, is Out Of The Furnace with Casey Affleck, Woody Harrelson, Sam Shephard, Willem Dafoe, Forest Whitaker and Zoe Saldana. It’s the 2nd movie directed by Scott Cooper, who directed Jeff Bridges to a Best Actor Academy Award in 2009’s Crazy Heart. He’s fantastic with actors and Bale is amazing in it. He plays a decent, sweet, kind, hard-working man who runs into some bad luck, overcomes that, then is pushed to the breaking point by a bunch of redneck criminals. Bale is in almost every scene, and the majority of the movie is getting to know the character before all hell breaks loose at the end. It’s not a big movie, it’s not a great movie, but it’s a good, solid movie and deserves a lot more respect than it’s been getting IMO. In any case, you’d hardly find two very different characters played by the same man, in theaters at the same time. I believe this is the performance Bale should be getting Oscar talk about.

Speaking of two very different characters, but played by the same women, in theaters now…

Her is absolutely wonderful. Adams doesn’t have a big role, but she’s adorable in it, playing a very down-to-earth neighbor of Joaquin Phoenix’s character. She doesn’t show any skin at all, and the character wears not a bit of makeup (yeah, I know, a lot of makeup was used to give her that “no makeup” look, but still, she couldn’t be more different from Sydney).

Special mention is Jennifer Lawrence, currently playing two very different characters: the glamorous, ditzy but not-quite-as-dumb-as-she-seems Rosalyn in American Hustle and the reluctant revolutionary hero Katniss in Catching Fire.

There are so many good actors in this movie. Overshadowed by the big names are Michael Peña in the tiny but fun role of “Sheik Abdullah” and Louis C.K. as the long-suffering Stoddard Thorsen (thanks for mentioning him Skammer).

Did anyone else notice that Robert De Niro is not credited for playing mob boss Victor Tellegio? Even in the IMDB cast list, he’s listed in the “Rest of cast listed alphabetically” section. I thought it was a great cameo. I freaked out a bit when Tellegio started speaking Arabic!

According to IMDB, “Good Times, Bad Times” is on the soundtrack. I don’t remember it in the movie though.

I liked that too, that Lawrence and Adams had such great and distinctive characters. The characters were also different than any I think I’ve seen either actress play before, and both were played very well. It’s true the movie didn’t pass the Bechtel Test, but that’s not the only criteria for good writing for women.

Also the movie is a fictionalization of the Abscam story, but apparently neither woman was really part of the scam. The story could have easily been done with both characters as minor characters who are just on screen for 5 minutes each. But I liked that they were included in the story.

Ha, me too!

Right, her costuming made sense to me. Adams’ character wasn’t a legit businesswoman trying to prove herself in a man’s world. She was a conman trying to prevent suckers from thinking straight. I’m guessing the average woman in the 70’s didn’t dress like that to go to work and buy groceries and do other everyday things.