American Sit-coms NOT set in the 20th & 21st Centuries

Came in to mention that one and The Adventures of Brisco County, Junior.

Does Briscoe County, Jr. count as a sitcom?

Thanks! Thanks (TV series) - Wikipedia

And I think there was an American sitcom (animated?) taking place in ancient Rome

Little House on the Prairie?

That other one with the “woman doctor”.

Well, that’s stretching it a bit. I was a very little kid when Here Come The Brides aired (back then, remember, there were only three networks and no VCRS or DVRs, you were stuck watching what they offered. I had three older sisters who are in love with Here Come The Brides star, teen idol Bobby Sherman. So I was stuck watching it) it had the kind of comedy you’d find on The Waltons. Family fare. So by indicating it was also a comedy, well… not quite.

Again, (the woman doctor show you’re probably thinking of was Dr. Quinn Medicane Woman) these were all hour long family fare drama with "pleasant humor. Not close to half hour sit-com humor.

Are you thinking of this, perhaps? :dubious:

I think he’s thinking about an old American animated Saturday morning show called The Roman Holidays: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Roman_Holidays

Wizards and Warriors, set in a “swords and sorcery” fantasy setting. Survived for 8 episodes at the height of the initial Dungeons & Dragons craze in the early 1980s, and starred Jeff Conaway and Julia Duffy.

Aha! I remember that, vaguely. Don’t believe I ever watched it, though.

***Asterix *** shorts were being aired in Britain when I lived there in the '70s, but they definitely were not made in America.

It certainly meets the ‘com’ part, not so sure about the ‘sit’. :slight_smile:

Current clarification from the OP is we’re looking for sitcoms on the level of “F Troop”, so Brisco County, Here Come the Brides and Little House on the Prairie don’t really fit.

I know animated stuff is breaking the rules, but ***Futurama ***was one of the smartest sitcoms ever.

It’s not clear to me when Woops! (about a group of people in a post-nuclear war apocalypse) was supposed to be set. Admittedly I found it looking up some other stuff. Probably 20th or 21st century, anyhow.

Which, IIRC, lasted about one season in the stone age before they magically brought the stone age to modern times.

I came here to post about Thanks, saw that someone beat me to it, and now I’ve got the theme to Best of the West as an earworm. :frowning:

Blackadder
Red Dwarf

(Just kidding…the lack of attention in these threads cracks me up. So consistent!)

duplicate

Covington Cross - Starring Nigel Terry,* Cherie Lunghi (both from “Excalibur”) and Ione Skye. The pilot was priceless. No laugh track, though.

• Who died just last week, Godammit!

Paging through Rick Mintz’s The Great TV Sitcom Book - 400 pages long and published in 1980 - I’m finding a few really obscure ones that haven’t already been mentioned.

It’s a Business (1952) - set in Victorian times according to Mitz, turn of the century on IMDb.

Life with Father (1953-55) - 1880s

Anna and the King (1972) - 1862

Near misses include Free Country (1978), a Rob Reiner production in which he narrates his life as a young emigrant to New York in 1909, and Mama (1949), from the radio show I Remember Mama, about Norwegian immigrant life in San Francisco in the 1910s.

I was surprised to see that F-Troop was the first comedy western.

Exactly what I was thinking of - thanks.

(and I see that someone mentioned “Thanks!” before I did - oops)