American Sit-coms that never took place in America.

I found one other sitcom with a WWII setting, Ensign O’Toole.

Far Out Space Nuts, yet another attempt by poor Bob Denver to have a career, has him accidentally launched into space, so I assume that part of the first episode is set in the U.S.

Not a sitcom.

There was also “Tomorrow is Yesterday,” which was the first time the Enterprise traveled back in time. Kirk and Sulu beamed down to the air force base to retrieve film of the Enterprise taken by Capt. Christopher’s wing cameras.

it wasn’t seoul?

I just saw this one last month. Yeah, it was in Vermont. Will tried to get in touch with Alpha Control to launch a rescue mission for his family, but couldn’t get anybody to take him seriously. He managed to get back to his beamdown point in time to return to his point of origin.

That’s what I thought. I think they only show the characters going to Seoul. In the episode, “For Want of a Boot”, the dentist wants a leave to go to Japan, but I think that’s the closest any of the characters get to Japan.

I think there’s another episode (it’s in color, so it’s either 2nd or 3rd season) where they get back to Earth, somewhere in America, but the locals form a mob to get rid of the aliens. Of course Smith joins the mob. I forgot how it ended.

That is the one I’m thinking of. It’s been a long time since I saw that.

That was the first one I thought of. I liked that show!

It did include a few scenes in London though, disqualifying it.

Still outside the United States, though. If you want to get really, really nitpicky, there was the episode in which Hawkeye and BJ (or maybe it was Trapper; I can’t remember if it was one of the earlier episodes or not) find and watch Frank’s wedding home movie.

Heck, one episode was partly set in Dallas.

Well, now that you mention it, Henry Blake and Radar O’Reilly also got movies from home, but I’d be willing to give that a pass since there were other episodes where the characters watch commercial films like The Moon is Blue and History is Made at Night but I wouldn’t consider the episodes “set” where those movies were.

Yep, Radar, Henry and BJ had shown home movies too.

Gary Burghoff was dressed as Radar’s mother.
Henry’s had some sort of back yard BBQ. Neighbor was a gynecologist.
BJ was when he was obsessing over his anniversary.

Ultimate nitpick: On his way home, Radar struck up a romance with a cute WAC while waiting for his flight somewhere in the continental US … Oklahoma? (I haven’t watched MASH*** for at least 20 years now.)

Charles Emerson Winchester was stationed in Tokyo when they first introduced him, if I’m not mistaken.

Didn’t Hawkeye’s court martial for leading a mutiny against Frank Burns also take place in Tokyo?

The first episode had scenes set in the States (NYC, IIRC).

And Vito Scotti played the Japanese sailor with the miniature submarine who didn’t know WWII was over!

He was also mayor of the tiny Italian town of Voltafiore in the final season of McHale’s Navy.

Now I’m wondering if he was ever a guest star on F Troop. :confused:

IMDB doesn’t list him for F Troop. Hard to believe there was a 60s sitcom he wasn’t in. F Troop was a real showcase of 60s stars, you’ll find Henry Gibson, J. Pat O’Malley, Julie Newmar, Jamie Farr, Lee Meriwether, Vic Tayback, Harvey Korman, and Don Rickles in that lot. I think Storch played a dual part in at least one episode and he may have looked and sounded much like Scotti doing that.

Yes … he was the Bandit of Banff-ff! :eek:

Paul Lynde was, I think, “The Singing Mountie” in one episode (maybe the same one?), but turned out to be an impostor. Who was the real “Singing Mountie” who turned up at the end of that episode? :dubious: