Americans + Canadians - what were you taught about Indians?

Born & raised in southern CA; graduated from (public) high school in 2009.

Native American history - or at least the history of indigenous Californians - is relatively ubiquitous in this state, probably because of the sheer number of reservations that populate the region or the general diversity of CA in general. It’s still largely sugarcoated, though.

I was taught the bullshit fairytale version of the Pilgrims & the Indians when I was in early elementary school, & I distinctly remember spending a lot of time learning about the Mission system when I was in the fourth grade. Moreover, I also remember watching a fuckin’ cartoon about Columbus’s fifteenth century voyage that depicted him as some kind of noble saint, even though historically that SOB was one of the most vile human beings to have ever lived. By the time I hit middle school, the instruction had branched off into the pre-Columbian cultures of Central & South America, & there was some discussion of Cortés even if Pizarro’s adventures weren’t addressed until high school.

Shit got real in high school, though. My AP World History class was pretty blunt in terms of its approach to the Columbian Exchange & the subjugation of the indigenous peoples of North & South America. My AP US History class also went in depth into Native American history before the establishment of the formal US; amongst other things, the Seven Years’ War was discussed at length even as other aspects of NA history were summarily neglected. Unfortunately, twentieth century issues were mostly ignored, and AIM was basically nothing more than a footnote (all we learned about it was Nixon’s angry response to the occupation of Wounded Knee).

I’m surprised to learn that NA history is seemingly ignored in Canada, especially given that (as another poster already indicated) so many indigenous people from the US actually fled this country in order to (ostensibly) receive better treatment by the British in Canada.