Americans: do you feel any loyalty or other emotional connection to your ancestral homeland?

Other than mild curiosity, no. My “ancestral homeland” list is too long to get emotional over any of it. England, Ireland, Scotland, (supposedly) Wales, France, Germany (largest % at 25), AMERICA (Indian). I’ve never been to Western Europe but live and work in China. I probably have the strongest emotional connection to my home state Michigan.

I’m a citizen but no longer a resident: can I answer?

Somewhat. My ancestors come from the US (since the early 1600s), Canada (since the early 1800s), and 7 European nations. My reactions to the modern countries is a combination of how much I know about the history, culture, and language plus how much of my heritage comes from there and how recent it is. All nine nations supplied at least one immigrant* in the 150 years before my birth.

Because of close family in multiple countries, I have never identified exclusively as an American. The only time I ever felt “American” with no qualifiers was for a few days after 9/11; it helped that I was living abroad at the time.

I usually say “I’m ¼ American” because I think that sums up the combination of heritage, experience, and life choices, even though I was born and raised there. Neither of my parents ever seemed to feel strongly about the US, and (rather selectively) embrace their hyphens.

• Emigrant in the case of the USA—my great-grandmother left in the 1910s, but her grandchild came back.

My family comes from various parts of eastern Europe. I really don’t care anything about that. I was born in the US, I’m an American, my children are Americans.

One side of my family is pretty obviously Celtic; I’ve got the flamey ginger hair to prove it. The other side is either Cherokee or Swedish, we’re not sure :).

In any case, I do feel the irrational and silly pride in Irish heritage. I figure it’s roughly akin to what other people feel when they cheer on the home team: it’s nothing to do with them, but it’s kind of fun.

I remember having to break the news to my sister a few years back. “I’m sorry,” I said mournfully, “but most of our ancestors hailed from Scotland and England.” She gave me a look of such genuine incredulity and exclaimed “But I’ve been telling people we’re Irish for years!” I thought it was hilarious.

No, I don’t really feel any strong emotional connection to either Scotland or England. I would love to visit Scotland one of these days but the desire to see the stomping grounds of my ancestors is not a primary motivation.

I’ve got some Russian and some Lithuanian and some Romanian blood.

I keep them stored on separate shelves so they don’t get mixed. I feel no patriotism towards these countries, and hardly any for the good ol’ U.S.A.

“Let 'em all go to hell except for Cave 51!”

I feel some alliance to my Italian side but a stronger alliance to my irish side for some reason, not even sure of the heritage, Scotch, Irish and English. I think my feelings stem more from just having a strong alegiance to Britain regardless of my heritage.

I want to play too. As an Australian I think the intent of the question also applies to us, and the answer is No.

My family is a mixed bag of British. English, Irish, Scot and Welsh.

I tracked my paternal line back to my Great great grandfather who was sent to Australia as an 18 year old in chains in the 1830’s as an English convict and died here at age 84 after raising a fair size family.

I tried tracking my mothers line back, easy on her mum’s side as someone already did that and wrote a book, on her dads side I’m buggered though as it seems his “father” as in the bloke who married his mum and raised him, wasn’t his father. I got a copy of his birth certificate (which mum had never seen) and he was originally given his mothers last name, then when she married when he was around 9 months old she took that blokes last name. Since he was born in 1911 I’ve got no chance of figuring that one out.

Anyway, I have no emotional connection with England whatsoever, I’m not scared of Soap or dentists and I consider myself Australian first last and always.

Mom’s side of the family has been mucking about on these shores since before Jamestown. Scots-Irish to the core. Doesn’t mean I’m loyal to the UK, although I have a great fondness for some Scottish product.

Dad’s side came down from Canada, after leaving the Ukraine, where they were farming after having originated in Alsace. No loyalty of any land they’ve been from.

I can’t pinpoint but this whole paragraph sounds very weird to me. Like a bad dream you had, you wake up and you wonder why was the dream bad :confused:

/* not American so will skip

I’m Irish/German/Polish/English. I identify with the Irish and German most, because I like good beer.

My mother was Dutch, and I and my siblings all feel an affinity for the Netherlands; most of us have been there, and my older siblings and their families are getting Dutch passports, now that the law allows it. I was born after Mom became a US citizen, so I can’t.

Dad was of relatively recent Irish ancestry, but we’ve never felt the same way about Ireland; possibly because we’ve never felt the same way about him.

My folks were both born in Poland, I’ve visited there about eight or nine times, so yes. Hungary was also my adopted homeland, and I feel a certain connection to it, too, even though I don’t have any ancestors from there I know of.

I’m a euro-mutt with 50% coming from one country. I think of the US as a melting pot and have zero interest in my ancestry beyond any history I dig up on it. I do like history. I feel no cultural connection to it whatsoever. If anything I feel a cultural connection to the British Empire where my language and general social structure comes from.

I’ve got English/Luxembourgian/Irish/Polish ancestry and, besides a passing interest in Out of This Furnace, I ultimately give no fucks about any of it. I don’t even know any of my great grand parents’ names (I think one of them is named George - and actually, now that I think about it, I don’t know my father’s dad’s name), much less care about where they came from.

I was born in the Philippines of Filipino and Russian ancentry / blood, and when I was only 3 my family emigrated to the USA where I was raised. I have some emotional connection to the Philippines and to Russia, but as for loyalty? I’m American, through and through. Red, white and blue, these colors don’t run.

The good ‘ol US of fuckin’ - A, bubba.

My maternal ancestors came from Sweden, but I have never felt much of a connection to it. However, I can tell Swedish jokes without being accused of racism (Racist? How can I be a racist when my ancestry is Swedish? Who else can tell lutefisk jokes or jokes about Olaf’s wedding night, or make fun of national suicide rates or Volvos or Igmar Bergman?)

My paternal grandparents and maternal great-grandparents all came from Poland in the early 1900s. I think I figured out which region my father’s father came from but that’s about it. I may have some shirttail cousins living there still, but I’m not sure it’d be possible to figure it out, and anyone on this side of the ocean who might have had some clues is long dead. My best guess, based on very old photographs, is that both sides of the family were peasants - farmers and miners, perhaps.

My connection to Poland is purely one of curiosity, and it would be stronger if I knew specifics about the roots of my family tree. Still, not strong enough to make me want to be one with the country. I don’t know the language, I know few of the traditions, I doubt I’ll ever go anyway. Certainly my identity isn’t tied to the old country…

My ancestry is mostly Italian, with a subsidiary mix of English, German, and/or (possibly) Dutch; we’re not really sure because my father was estranged from his family for most of my formative years, so we never had a connection to that side of the family at all. But I’ve never really been interested. I did learn some small things about cooking from my maternal (Italian) grandmother, but other than that, ancestral heritage has never interested me.

This topic always reminds me of one of my favorite Abraham Lincoln quotes:

Despite my German last name my father grew up as Irish in an Irish neighborhood in Jersey City. I didn’t really understand what that meant until I read the book Mysteries of My Father by Thomas Flemming. Flemming was the next door neighbor of my father growing up. That depression era Irish-American culture was much different than today. That connection has faded over the decades.

My mother’s family is Italian. My grandmother was born in Naples. But that was over 100 years ago. I feel closer to that culture. But not really to Italy. I grew up going to family gatherings on Staten Island. The New York Italian American culture isn’t the same as being from Italy. I remember my grandmother complaining after a trip that they don’t know how to speak Italian properly in Italy. I do feel some affinity to the Italian-American culture but not really to Italy.

I have not been to Italy. I’ve been to Ireland and Germany. I loved going to both countries but I didn’t feel like I was going home.

I also have some Scottish ancestry. I think its cool to have a tartan and a clan. The clan chief castle was in the finale of Skyfall. But I hardly feel like I’m a Highlander.