Amusing Signs

I can’t find it on Google Maps. What intersection is it near?

My enduring favorite is a truck I once saw in traffic that said “CAUTION! Blind Man Driving!” on the back

… And then, on the side, it said “Joe Schmo’s Windows and Blinds- We’re your blind guys!” or something like that.

In the “weird translations” offshoot category, some item I recently got came with instructions that, every few pages, had a page labeled, “WARM TIPS!”

I looked them up on Yelp for – you know – the food. 3 stars on 500+ reviews and more 1-star than anything else.

Outside of a small café (a converted railroad caboose) here: EAT HERE OR WE’LL BOTH STARVE.

Well, since we’re doing trucks now, here’s a plumber I’d hire …

The venue where the EMS conference used to be held in Fairbanks is next to a Unitarian church with a circular driveway. At this driveway’s entrance, a sign reads “One Way.” Underneath, a second sign was added that says “Of Many.”

Wish I had a picture to share.

The DFW Dopers used to have Dopefests at an El Arroyo location in Garland (I think). They were very tolerant of our shenanigans, up to and including me snapping fire from my fingers, so at least that crew had a sense of humor.

Here in Miami it gets hot and sticky in the summer. One of the larger HVAC repair companies has billboards all up and down the main freeway, I-95. Big yellow signs with their logo in black and yellow and their tagline:

YOUR WIFE IS HOT
Better get your air conditioning fixed.

Some of their billboards include pix of a semi-cute 40-ish woman who’s probably the owner’s wife striking an amatuer quality deliberately sultry pose. They’re great.

Found this while cleaning out the sub-basement…
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wcJT0w7NWzg2j9xg-KIbCbQXQBYApD3_/view?usp=share_link

Hmmm - I thought that would embed the image I just shared, instead of linking to it… hints, anyone?

There is an electrical contractor around here called Wong Brothers Electrical. I saw one of their trucks that had “Two Wongs make a light” on the back.

Sorry, no picture.

When the weather’s hot and sticky
Ain’t no time for dunkin’ dickie
When the frost is on the punkin
That’s the time for dickie dunkin’!

We have a billboard here with the same catchphrase. No cheesecake, though.

A couple of overseas signs I’ve spotted:

in Amsterdam, a Café De Pits, a clothes shop called Funny Trousers Salty Dog (me neither), and the Hanky Panky Tattoo Parlour

in Singapore a hairdresser’s called Coiffure de Pong

In Barcelona, a fashion boutique called Belly, and an Ars Restaurant.

IME there is no way to embed a Google Drive (“GD”) image so it displays inline here. Which sucks, because GD is where I keep my images too.

For the inline image to display in the thread, it needs to be a direct link to a gif, jpg, or png image file. Not to some page that in turn knows how to display some particular image file.

There are other image hosting sites that give you access to the raw image url. GD is not one of them.

A local tattoo shop has either the best or worst name:
THE TAT CAVE.

I’m going to post this for a second time, because I forgot to make an important point about quantum mechanics. The claim that quantum superposition does not apply to macroscopic objects is obviously false. In refutation of that claim, I present the Schrödinger motel. :wink:

I thought this would’ve been posted before now…

For some 200 years a town in north-central Austria had a unique name. Many people would stop at the town sign to take pictures, or worse, they’d steal it. The townspeople got fed up with this, so in November 2020 they changed the town’s name. The town is about an 80-mile drive east from Munich.

Old name of the town, for some 200 years: FUCKING.

Name of the townspeople: FUCKINGERS.

New name of the town: FUGGING.

Snopes verification: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/fucking-austria-renamed-fugging

Wiki: Fugging, Upper Austria - Wikipedia

If you search Google Maps for FUCKING, AUSTRIA, you’ll find it. But when the map loads, Google Maps changes the name.

Map of FUCKING, AUSTRIA: https://maps.app.goo.gl/LDmjLLFJLfiaL8Wb6

Map with directions from Munich: https://maps.app.goo.gl/3CUCBqgwYUSMWp7q7

Here’s a web photo of two workers changing the town sign.