"An All-America City"?

No.

The “All-America” desgination for the Bronx isn’t from the 19th century; it’s from 1997. And as a genealogist, I am curious where you get the idea that the Bronx was “mostly Anglo-Saxon” in the 19th century.

Westchester County in 1890 U.S. Census*
Total population: 146,772
Foreign-born: 38,392
Children of foreign-born: 42,440

In other words, the majority (55%) of the population of Westchester County in 1890 was either immigrants or their children. And no, we’re not talking about English immigrants (4,357 living there in 1890) and their children. If we were to limit the data to only the Bronx district of Westchester (I don’t have a data set for that), the immigrant portion would be significantly higher.

• The Bronx was in Westchester until 1898, when it became a borough of New York City.

The Know Nothing period was the 1820s to 1860. I was referring to that era.

Derleth, you’ve misinterpreted the cause of my bemusement at roger thornhill’s claim. A perusal of the quarterbacks named in the annual All-America picks for the last 30 years should disabuse anyone of that notion.

roger thornhill: adjust the colors on your television set.

If you have the evidence to support your idea that the Bronx was mostly “Anglo-Saxon” in the period 1820-1860, please present it.

Westchester County in 1860 U.S. census
Total population: 99,497
Foreign-born: 27,798
Children of foreign-born: [data not available, but let’s say it was at least 28,000]
Black: 2,270

And then explain what that would have to do with an appellation given to the Bronx in 1997.

“All America” football teams were started by sports journalists way back in the late 19th century. Each year they would select an “All America” team from the various colleges, football then being almost exclusive to schools and colleges. At that time, of course, they were indeed almost entirely Caucasian and upper class, that being the pool from which nearly college students came. The originators of the All America football teams were not trying to make a racist statement, however: the name simply reflects that the names for the eleven positions were chosen from outstanding college teams around the country. AFAIK it’s just an honorary team; they never play together, but they usually go to meet the President at the White House.

“All American” was the name of an anti-immigrant political party of the 19th century

Hmm.

I guess I’m just having a hard time buying into the argument here that there’s some dark, hidden, Illuminati-esque origin to the All-America City Award. Like I said, the organization that hands it out was created by Progressives. Their story about how it came to be named seems perfectly plausible, and frankly, I can’t imagine any incentive they might have to lie about it. It’s just a dinky award that lets community engage in a little civic chest puffing. If it does have some secret “Whitey Seal of Approval” connotation, I don’t think that the cities that apply for it (or Whitey, for that matter) are aware of it.

No-no-no.

The dark, hidden, etc. thing is the “All-American

Not “All-America”.