An approaching vehicle has the high beams on. How do you respond?

Yeah, I was in Chicago in the early 90s when that bullshit went around on fax machines. It was BS then as much as it is BS now. I fell for a number of urban legends back before we had the internet, but that one seemed to be transparent scaremongering to me.

If it were me— and mind you, this is just me— I’d pull out one of my guns and shoot out both their headlights. After a warning shot, of course.

I used to (and very occasionally still) flick my high beams at people.

Thing is, with the combination of taller cars, highly-angled headlights, and inappropriately bright bulbs, often I can’t tell if it’s someone’s high beams or not.

So, generally, I just decide to hate humanity for a little bit, pray (in my atheistic fashion) that a deer isn’t going to decide to cross the road, and suffer through it.

In Aus it’s perfectly reasonable to flash a driver approaching you with their high-beam on (or sometimes NO lights at all, especially in built-up areas).

It’s also been a cultural more to alert drivers of a speed camera ahead via a quick flash, although this is *apparently *illegal. Which is curious, because on some of the morning radio programs, at least here in Melbourne, the announcers will publicly alert drivers as to the exact location of said cameras. It has been alleged that the cops themselves report the camera-sites on set-up. :stuck_out_tongue:

If anyone asks, shooting out the headlights is the warning shot(s).

It also helps to move partly into their lane, lean on the horn, and accelerate. Try it!

Not necessarily high beams, but I noticed right after DRLs started becoming standard on some cars, a bunch of idiots started running their lights during daylight hours. You could tell the difference by if their tail lights were on (DRLs don’t light the tails).

Just figured it was the idiot drivers that surround me saying “Ooh, people are running their lights! I guess I should too!” pack mentality bullshit. :rolleyes:

Ducati’s sock detected… Someone get Marley on the case!

I point my MAC-10 out the window and fire off a couple dozen warning rounds.

Is this a whoosh or are all pizza delivery drivers odd people?
Personally I flash once, wait a few seconds, then switch to high beams if they’re really blinding me. If not I just let it go.

If you’re delivering pizzas, you’re either

A) Young, like teens or early 20s
B) The same maturity level as A)

So, this is a perfectly natural response, given the conditions. :smiley:

I’m much past that now…I just slow down to a damn near stop if the lights are bright enough that I can’t even see.

I still hold the offending drivers in utter contempt…good thing for them my spotlight burned out years ago.

I’ve never driven a car so I must ask: what are high beams and why are they considered bad?

… other, I ride a bike so I’m usually squinting towards the side of the road trying not to crash while being blinded.

Headlights have two settings, regular and high. In regular mode they point more down so they don’t blind other drivers. When no other cars are around you are able to use your high beams, which point higher and illuminate further down the road. If you use them when other cars are on the road (which is illegal pretty much everywhere) you can make it very difficult for other drivers to see the road.

The Wikipedia article actually has reasonably good pictures that illustrate the difference from the driver’s perspective. If you’re a driver or pedestrian on the other side of the road approaching a car with its high beams on, it’s at the very least quite dazzling if not temporarily blinding. If you live in an urban area, you will never or very very rarely use your high beams. If you’re driving on a road in the sticks, they are very helpful as they allow you to see a lot more of the road.

You’ve probably ridden in a vehicle before at night and oncoming traffic had unusually bright headlights? They probably had their high beam lights on.

Vehicle headlights have two different settings, high beam and low beam. The high beams may be brighter but they most shine at a higher angle out from the front of the vehicle to better illuminate the road ahead. Low beams shine lower and only illuminate the area immediately in front of the vehicle.

However, high beams aren’t designed to be used when there is oncoming traffic, in that case it is courtesy or usually the law that you switch to low beams lest you dazzle the other driver with your bright lights.

Functionally switching between high beams and low beams usually is done with a stalk switch on the left side of the steering column. You can stretch the fingers out on your left hand from the steering wheel to flip the stalk forward or backwards. My car switch is forward for high beams, back for low beams.

High beams are typically used for backroad driving in total darkness, or in cases when you really can’t see the road. Because they are so bright, it is considered common courtesy not to blind other drivers by using them. Where I grew up, if you were driving on a backroad with your high beams on and a car came from the opposite direction, you turned them back to regular lights until the car passed, then flipped back to high beams again. Only, we didn’t call them high beams. We called them ‘‘brights.’’

Not just a courtesy. It is more dangerous for both drivers if either of you is blinded by oncoming brights.

Slow down til they pass you?

I have been known to angle mirrors to reflect their beams back at them. I had one friend in the 70’s that mounted a headlight on his trunk with a switch just for this. Seems extreme but I guess it happened to him one too many times.

Turn my headlights off and pretend to be a ghost car!