An idea that is picking up momentum behind closed doors on terrorism.

• I had another idea: every time a Moslem terrorist blows something up elsewhere, how about a randomly-detonated bomb in Mecca? I for one think we’d see a lot less Moslem terrorist bombs after just a few hits on the holy city.

…-Of course, this involves dragging a lot more innocent people into the fray–but you see, there is no other solution. SUch terrorists are willing to sacrafice anyone else to further their ends; the only possible preventative solution is to hit the few things they hold dear. And for what it’s worth, strictly “producing a body count” wouldn’t necessarily be the objective. But yes, some people would end up dead there. Randomly, for no reason. Such is the receiving end of terrorism.

See ya in the pit! :smiley:
~

Hey, look, we’re still in GQ!

So, welcome to the SDMB.

Cite?

Great, and everytime a Christian hurts someone we can nuke a city in Finland.

… which makes as much fucking sense.

Just to note, I am fully expecting this to get bumped to GD.

But if it doesn’t in the next 15 minutes I imagine we should detonate a random bomb in Chicago, which will learn up the Chicago Reader something good.

I’m utterly opposed to such a concept. Nobody should be punished for the crime of someone else, whether or not it’s a reative.

I’m not saying it’s right, only that it’s a possible solution: just totally anhilate everyone in every Muslim community anywhere in the world. Well, not everyone, just the olive-skinned Muslims (we’ll leave the good white folk in Dearborn, MI alone). Then the only terrorists left that affect white people will be the North Irish (well, they’re behaving a bit recently) and the American militias.

Oh, you only want to hear good solutions? Well, I’ll move along, then…

Threats like that are exactly why we are all going to get searched before we post from now on.

I’ve another idea : since the USA is mesingup in the middle east and there’s no other solution, given this country military power, I propose to crash planes in New-York buildings and put bombs in western countries trains and buses.
Since you seem to be serious : you’re exactly at the same level as the terrorists. Actually you’re less worthy than them since you don’t have the guts to explode yourself in a mosque or in Saudi Arabia. You’re just at the level of the criminal-minded cowards who cheer for the terrorists from the safety of their home.
Besides, such an action would have exacltly the reverse effect. The number of fighters and terrorists would be multiplied times 100 in a heartbeat. And these people would hold the moral high ground.
You’re also, I suspect, overestimating the detterence of such an action. They’re followers of God, and Mecca, as holy as it can be is just a city and a building. Choosing between God’s will and a mere building would be a no-brainer.

Count me also amongst the sympathizer for terrorists’ families.
What about passing also a law to deport us ugly sympathizers, while we’re at it?

I expect it to end up in the Pit where it belongs.

This kind of statements are becoming more and more common. We’re losing ground. Western values are threatened.

Off to Great Debates.

DrMatrix - GQ Moderator

Vaporizing Mecca is a little too extreme, but how 'bout something a little more subtle? Anytime an American is killed by an Isalmic terrorist, the Muslims wake up to a nice US flag lovingly painted directly onto that Ka’bah shrine. I’m sure an elite Delta force would have no problem doing this, damn the enemy casualties.

I’d love to show them that their most highly venerated spot on the planet is as vulnerable as anything else.

Were you behind these closed doors when this high-level discussion took place? If so, what are you doing blabbing about it on the internet? If not, how do you know the discussion took place?

An idea that is picking up momentum behind closed doors on terrorism.

Sounds somewhat Lovecraftian to me.

There is a reason that those doors are closed, something behind them that wouldn’t survive the light of day…

Oh, wait, The Patriot Act seems to be doing quite nicely, thank you.

Never mind.

It’s monstrous.

Brilliant. Terrorists attack us in part because they’re threatened we have our soldiers on their land and feel it’s an insult to Islam, and you propose our soldiers on their land should threaten them and insult Islam- and you think it’ll be a deterrant?!!?

Yes, keep poking the hornet’s nest; it’s the only way to calm them down. Ummm…

Everybody should be kicked out except me.

Then I’d get some peace and quiet! Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Well Micco, last time I checked any many guilty of rape is punished, and they are locked up. Terrorists do not value law or human life like you and I. As far as I’m concerned a terrorist forfeits his human rights.

If you agree that this proposed method would save lives, then you probably agree with me whether you realize it or not. I shall explain.

Suppose this proposal was instituted, and for arguments sake deterred “ X “amount of people from becoming terrorist. Lives would most certainly be saved. It’s a shame that some people might have to be deported, but such a proposal deters terrorism and saves the law abiding citizens from loss of life and property, I think it’s a necessary trade off in these times. As you say, there’s your cost.

“The ends justify the means” has been the rallying cry for fascists and totalitarians from time immemorial. Fuck the rule of law, fuck civilization, just git 'r done.