And of course: Songs *praising* your state, province, or city.

Well, nothin’ could be finer than to be in Carolina in the moooooooornin’! (Doesn’t quite specify which one, though, I’m afraid.)

And then we Carolina girls, best in the world - you’re so fine, girl you’re one of a kind! Sweet Carolina girl!

Okay, so all our Carolina songs kinda suck, but at least they’re complimentary.

James Taylor wrote “Carolina in my Mind,” and his brother Livingston wrote “Carolina Day.”

And of course there’s “Georgia on my Mind.”

Cause I love that Dirty Water
Ah, Boston, you’re my town.

And BC. Terrace is in BC.

I have an example of fake sincerity… there seemed to be a market in the '60s for gimmick records for radio stations to give away. That’s why I have one sponsored by CKOC in Hamilton, Ontario, called “Wonderful Town.” Some anonymous jingle singers went on for a couple of minutes about attractions around the area, and getting the call letters in where they could. Some years later, another record came out on another label, called “Wonderful Town” by the same people, and it’s about Brantford, Ontario, whose station is CKPC. There must be many others, but I’ve only heard those two. They’re probably the only songs about Hamilton and Brantford.

Wonderful town, wonderful people
Places to go, things to see
My home is ____________,
That’s my wonderful town!

Journey’s Don’t Stop Believing references a midnight train in South Detroit.

No train in South Detroit runs at midnight. Hell, there’s no train in South Detroit.

I believe it just references South Detroit as the place where the guy was born and raised. Just took a midnight train going anywhere - doesn’t mention from or to where.

“Fightin’ Texas Aggie” by Robert Earl Keen, while about the students of Texas A&M rather than the town of College Station itself, does mention lots of locations near and dear to the College Station resident and your typical Texas Aggie, such as Heldenfels Hall (Where EVERYONE ends up takign at least one 8AM class, if not more), the Dixie Chicken (a bar across the street from campus, complete with a wooden porch and western-style swinging doors, Taco Cabana (A Mexican resteraunt known for being cheap and always open), Bonfire, and parking tickets which double in number every time the chorus repeats.

You folks from Austin will be glad to note that your town gets mentioned once or twice in the song too ;D

Pretty much the only song we have that anyone’s ever heard of:

Almost Heaven, West Virginia,
Blue Ridge Mountain, Shenandoah River,
Life is old there, older than the trees,
Younger than the mountains, growing like the breeze.

O, there’s nothin’ halfway about the Iowa way we treat you
When we treat you, which we may not do at all
There’s an Iowa pride, a special chip-on-the-shoulder attitude
We’ve never been without that we recall

We can be cold as a falling thermometer in December
When you ask about our weather in July
And we’re so by gad stubborn we can stand touchin’noses
For a week at a time and never see eye to eye

BUT WE’LL GIVE YOU OUR SHIRT.
AND THE BACK TO GO WITH IT.
IF YOUR CROP SHOULD HAPPEN TO DIE.

-Meredith Willson (b. Mason City, IA), from The Music Man

Two girls for every boy…

Surf City, here we come!

(Huntington Beach, California)

I love it. My grandma taught school there in the late '20s, and it was nothing but oilfields, oilfields, oilfields. Derricks as far as the eye could see.

I’m not from Iowa, but as a fan of the Prairie Home Companion, I love Greg Brown’s Iowa Waltz.