Annoying “new speak” that you’ve managed to adopt into your vocabulary…

It’s been a minute.

It rolls off the tongue and I just can’t help myself sometimes.

I don’t really mind any of the phrases mentioned in this thread so far, except for “you do you,” but to be clear, that’s meant to be jerkish. It doesn’t just mean “be yourself.” It means, “you’re fucking your life up, you pathetic loser, but I can’t stop you, so keep at it if you want.”

This one, however:

is flat-out useful, and everyone should adopt it. It can’t be replaced with “In the future,” which is nebulous about when in the future you’ll start the new practice, whereas “going forward” indicates that you’re starting now (or even started recently.) The closest replacement is, in fact, “starting now”, but it’s really closer to “starting now (or having started recently), and continuing until we learn a better practice…” Any why use all those words when “going forward” fits the bill?

I most often hear ‘You do you’ in the context of ‘Please stop trying to impose your personal preferences on me as if they are some sort of universal law’

My spouse if fond of “It’s all good!”, which I have always interpreted as, “I wish to register my disagreement with that choice, but I’m not willing to mount an objection.” In other words, passive aggressive.

So, (hehe) I will use “It’s all good!” only in response to my spouse.

I don’t think “It is what it is” was meant to be comforting. I see it as a rebuke to people whining about how they don’t want the situation they’re in to be the situation they’re in, when whining won’t do anything.

“Oh, great, the engines of the plane are on fire, why are the engines on fire? Why do I have to fly the plane that has the engines on fire?!? Why can’t the engines just not be on fire?!?” “It is what it is, deal with it or we’re all dead!”

Even more annoying, and even more an indicator of relative youth I think, is when “so…” is used at the end of a sentence or phrase. As in:

“Let’s go out and get some lunch.”

“Well, I’m very busy and I just ate a bunch of snacks, so…”

OK, well, thanks, it feels good to be vindicated by a SD peer :slightly_smiling_face:

One annoying biz phrase I’ve heard a lot but haven’t succumbed to is “at the end of the day” used metaphorically to mean “when all is said and done”. Sometimes when people use it it’s difficult for a beat or two to tell from context whether they mean at the literal day’s end or not.

And even more so, the trailing ‘so…’ as a sort of placeholder for ‘so I think you are a fuckwit’

i.e. well, you didn’t mention [the detail that was obvious to everyone else, but I complained about] so…’

Well, I’m not the one who lit the engines on fire, so…

…so you’re still the one who’s going to die if you don’t fix it. It is what it is!

I’m really sorry, but I think I started one: I used to use “apparently” more than frequently and now I hear everyone using it.

Wait, what’s that? Is it? It IS – IT’S ACTION ITEM, PROFESSIONAL SUPERHERO!!

This is WRT “It is what it is.”

A dear close friend of mine used to say it when he was in hospice, and he meant it to offer comfort in some oblique way while still expressing anger. “There’s nothing any of us can do about it at this point. I’m going to die, and that’s that.” And then he did.

My association with that phrase is nothing but bad.

Whenever I hear “I mean” used this way I always think of Alice’s Restaurant – “I mean, I’m sitting here on the Group W bench…”

I’m old enough that I’m not entirely comfortable with the spelling “nite”, so don’t get me started on all this other stuff.

On the other hand, when people complain about the pronunciation “nucular” (for “nuclear”), I remind them that everyone pronounces “Wednesday” as if it were spelled “Wendsday”, and “iron” as if it were spelled “iorn”, so they should stop complaining about “nucular”.

Yes, I suppose I’m contradicting myself. Too bad. And get off my lawn! (which sounds pretty dumb coming from someone who rents an apartment!)

I found myself responding to a request with “Yeah – no”. And I HATE that.

I’m not even sure what it means. “Yes I heard you but the answer is no?”. “Yes, but on second thought - no?” “I’m just spewing out words here.”

(That phrase popped up often on the “Everybody Loves Raymond” show.)

I have a lot of trouble pronouncing “Wednesday”, for the reason you mention, my rule ended up being “Wednesday is Odin/Wotan/Woden’s day, so pronounce it Wodensday, but with an ‘E’ (Wedensday)”, it seems to work, and now I realize yours is even better, I’ll pronounce it “Wendsday” from now on :slight_smile:

I hope you won’t be offended if I ask: Are you a native English speaker?

Not offended in the least :slight_smile:
No, my first language is Spanish, that’s why words like “Wednesday” throw me for a loop, so I invent silly mnemotechnic rules to help me pronounce them.

I learned Spanish in high school. The pronunciation is always exactly like the spelling, so I understand why it is so difficult for you. Congratulations on a new mnemotechnic!

You should hear me butcher “miércoles” when I’m shit-faced :wink:

Thanks!, I always say that English is easy to learn but hard to pronounce, while Spanish is the other way around.