Annual leave: save or spend?

Where I worked, we were allowed to retire one day early for every sick day we did not use. When I retired, I had 1.2 contract years saved up.

My company has an annual leave policy, but I have no idea what it is. I end up working a lot of weekends, so when I take a day/week/couple weeks off no one complains. Wait wait, I think we aren’t allowed to carryover, and can’t sell them.

All I know is that whenever someone quits, they usually take off the last month, meaning that they cash in their vacation days, never come in, and get paid for an additional month after they’ve left.

I get a fixed number of vacation days every January and must use it or lose it. I make it a point to use every vacation day by December 31. I’ll be damned if I do any work for free.

We’re not supposed to carry over more than 160 hours of leave at the end of each year - I usually carry over somewhere around 170 or so. This last year I carried over 180 - should have been less, but the job cancelled one week of my planned Xmas vacation, d/t staffing issues. Right now I’m sitting at about 2010 hours, and will be using 140 of those by mid July. Of course, I’ll have also accrued another 63 hourse before that.

You need a NOTA answer. As a professor, I got August off every year and it was entirely up to me what I did with it. There was sick leave of course, but I used very little of that. And there was no real limit on that. A colleague would cover for me and that was that.

Actually, I continued my research during August just like I do now that I have retired.

That reminds me that in addition to vacation time, we have 10 days combined personal/sick days. We’re also salaried, and have a comp time program (both formal and informal). I can’t remember the last time I had to log personal time for personal business. It just comes out of the rolling comp time balance, which seems to be always max’d.

Screw long holidays–how does anyone have a baby or deal with a serious illness? I get two weeks sick/vacation days a year (which is not as bad as it sounds–I teach, so there is plenty of other time off) and pretty much everyone I know accumulates leave first so they can have a baby or two (and they miss the summer timing), then so that they will be okay if when they eventually have cancer/a hysterectomy/a sick parent.

I was under the impression that maternity leave (up to a certain number of days,) is a federally mandated thing (in the US, at least) that cannot count against any other vacation, sick, personal, or any other time off you normally accrue. Am I wrong?

As for serious illness, that’s something you hope doesn’t happen. Some place have ‘short term disability.’ You pay into it like health insurance, and if you need to take a sick leave longer than you have sick days, or you don’t want to use them up, you use short-term disability and you get paid from that…generally it’s never as much as your regular income, though.

I get 12 sick days, 2 personal days, 1 cultural holiday (all of which you are given at once when you first start working, but the personal and cultural days are prorated for how much time is left in the year…get hired in June and you get one personal day and half a day for cultural holiday) and 2 weeks of vacation (that start at zero when you’re hired and you have to ‘earn’ throughout the year.) The sick days can accumulate forever (though you don’t start getting any more until you’ve been here a year…those initial 12 are the first year’s worth given in advance, so you don’t accumulate more until that year is up), the personal days and cultural holiday are a “use it or lose it,” (you get them back on Jan 1), and the vacation I can accumulate up to two years worth (so for me, up to 4 weeks, but the longer you work here, the more you get…I think you get another week at 5, 10, and 20 years.)

I can also get what’s called “compensation time.” If I work overtime in a week, I can either get paid for it at time and a half, or put it into a pool of ‘comp time’, also at one and a half. I can use this time for vacation, sick days, personal days, or just for a couple hours off here and there in a day for an appointment, or to leave early for something. I can get up to one week of this at a time…if I try to bank more of that, it will get denied and I’ll also have lost the chance to get paid for that overtime.

I am currently saving more than I’m using if you look at all my time off as a whole. I’ve been here for just about a year and a half, and I have taken two weeks of vacation, so I have just under a week of that, but I’ve only taken maybe four sick days, and I have a full week of comp time saved up.

Unpaid leave is mandated–they have to hold your job for you. Payment is dependent on the organization. I think some places still have a special category of leave called “maternity leave” that only kicks in when you give birth, but most of the time it’s just a matter of taking whatever leave/sick days you have accumulated and unpaid after that–or going on short-term disability.

Exactly, and it tends to be very expensive. It also isn’t useful if it is a close family member that is sick.