"Another Life" in Netflix

Having most of the crew be in their late teens and early twenties is absolutely one of the stupidest ideas ever.

Having the guy who didn’t get the job on the ship = stupid

Having his girlfriend on the ship = stupid

Having the captain pilot the space craft manually past a sun (including her best guess at when to sling shot) = stupid

Having an AI to run the ship who continually cannot run the ship = stupid

None of the crew seems to have any idea at all about best practices for interacting with other planets or alien life (let’s open our helmets, let’s try to eat things, let’s deeply inhale psychotropic pollen) = oh my god, so stupid

I could handle it if the crew didn’t act like they were doing a teen series on the CW.

Something else that makes me crazy, tho it’s not exclusive to this show - it seems whenever something electrical or electronic malfunctions, it’s always “a short.” I’m guessing that’s the only electrical failure that TV writers are aware of. Maybe I’m overly sensitive about it since I was an electronics technician many years ago, but, dang, not everything is due to a short…

Glad I’m not in a minority, I made it through 1/2 of the 1st episode and threw in the towel, what a shitty show.

I watched it and hated it the whole time.

For what it is worth:

From what I have seen, Katee can barely act. She has a small but devoted following of fanboys from Battlestar but that is all. She was terrible on the Flash, and the comments I saw agreed. I first saw her on Longmire and she stood out as the worst actor in a cast that included Lou Diamond Phillips.

I had never heard of this show until all the media attention about how horrible it was. Maybe I should watch it?

Oh, Lou Diamond Phillips on Longmire. He did the old Data trick of not using contractions to make his speech sound stilted. It keeps coming back to STNG.

Go for it. It will stun and amaze you. :slight_smile:

No, seriously, interesting premise, but the execution - not so great.

Now I’m intrigued: what about the premise did you find interesting?

Can’t speak for Cat, but an enigmatic First Contact scenario, and Earth sending its first (and so far only) starship out to check out its (supposed) planet of origin, and running into the perils of real deep-space travel and exploration. Good fodder for a decent sci-fi series.

Of course most of the perils are, as have been noted upthread, crew-induced stupidity.

Like the hot-shot XO mutinying and overriding Cautious Captain’s caution by trying to “slingshot” around a completely unknown/unmapped star, using the Hyperdrive shield-bubble to protect the ship. Except that they have no solid idea of the solar flare activity patterns of said star, and a super-flare erupts right in front of them, overloading & popping the shield-bubble, and almost wrecking their shiny new starship.

Then the XO, who came up with the previous boneheaded idea, deciding that Cautious Captain has to go, and getting himself killed for it.

Then landing on a planet with MacGuffin Crystals, in an attempt to replenish supplies, only to later find a large-ish moon in an extremely low orbit causing lethally catastrophic seismic activity (to the MacGuffin Miners) that they somehow missed, because they didn’t bother to take a few laps around the planet first in order to see what might be around it that might pose any kind of hazard.

Then several crew members (who are supposed to be trained astronauts) popping their spacesuit helmets in a completely alien environment in order to breathe fresh air. In fairness, the first one checked O2 levels/atmospheric content before doing so, so they knew they had breathable atmo. But they completely overlooked any kind of biologicals screening.

Most of the crew act like petulant, spoiled, entitled assholes, not educated, trained professionals.

I can go on, but I think these few examples illustrate the Promethean levels of stupidity in this show.

It is one of those shows I want so desperately to like. The fundamentals are there. First contact. Friendly aliens or not. How to communicate with other life forms. Space exploration.

But then there’s idiocy like the ship splitting in half and needing to be manually re-docked and clicked into place with something that locked like a seat belt. Flying by hand, of course, because the AI can’t AI and humans can totally line up immense objects, blindly, to an error of margin of none.

Maybe if they fired almost the entire cast, all of the writers, and kept the sets, it would work out.

Count me in as “I can’t believe I watched the whole thing and I don’t even know why!”

The special effects were terrible right from the start. I kept hoping it would get better,… it got worse.

The advanced technology on the ship did not match the technology back on Earth.

The communication with Earth was stupid and impossible. Even if they could travel FTL, how can they send messages back and forth in real time?

William, the AI was ridiculous. It’s a program, an avatar of the interface to the computer systems running the ship. Having thoughts, emotions, free-will, etc… made him fucking useless.

I don’t want to spoiler the ending but … what did they think would happen?

What he said. :slight_smile:

I don’t know why the show is so ham-handed; is it just that this is what science fiction is like when it is done by people who have no experience with science fiction? I’ve read countless science fiction books that had alien first contact/space ship travels/faster than light travel/humans walking around on totally new planets as their premises, and very few of them were as badly done as this series. Science fiction is not a free-for-all where you can just have people doing any old shit, for any old reason; there are reasonable constraints, like if the people are just too stupid and incompetent, they all die. If you want to pull magic rabbits out of your ass, you have to WORK for them!

Samuel Anderson. :slight_smile:

I watched the first two episodes. Holy crap on a cracker it is bad. So very very bad. If I had known it was this bad going in, then I might have enjoyed the first two episodes on a laughing at the awfulness level. But as an actual show worth watching, oh boy.

My wife and I started watching it in July and it quickly turned to us hate watching it. Hate watching really wasn’t worth it either so we just kind of gave up on it and started watching New Girl reruns.

I couldn’t finish.

I’d be open to “hate watching” it if I thought there was going to be any closure on what the thing is.

Oh, there’s “closure” on what it is.

My husband at one point said, “I think this is a 2 beer show.” I think more intoxication than that is needed.

Guys, I can’t believe I’m saying this, but the producers of the show managed to turn it around.

I decided to give this show another shot once I saw it got a season 2. The ass end of season 1 does manage to get better and season 2 is actually pretty good.