Another reason to use that grocery discount card

Yesterday my kids went shopping for my mom. They decided to use the self check out rather than go to a cashier. When they got to my mom’s place the bill was much more than my mom had anticipated. They could not find the receipt anywhere. My mom was very upset. My daughter realized that she may have rang up the donuts wrong. Instead of a dozen she punched in 12 dozen instead of 12 donuts. An honest mistake but a costly one.

They returned to the store and the manager said he needed the Visa card and her Giant Eagle discount card. They returned with these and the manager was able to pull up the purchases on the computer and in fact show that there was an error and refunded $65 dollars.

If she had not used the card there was no way they would have refunded her money without the receipt. She would have lost all that money, which is a very big deal since she is on disability with a limited budget. My best guess is the kids forgot the receipt since it prints out in a different area then where you pay for your items. I know I have forgotten to grab mine a few times.

So these grocery stores may be tracking your purchases but sometimes that works in your favor.

I am proud of my kids for returning to the store on their own to try and get some help in the matter and happy that the manager was so willing to help them get the problem resolved. In these stressful holiday times when money is at it tightest it is nice to know there are people that are willing to take the time to help, especially two teenagers that are just trying to help their grandma. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure I understand how the discount card helped. If they rang up twelve dozen, wouldn’t that be the purchase the discount card showed?

Yes, but who buys 12 dozen donuts? 144 donuts, I doubt they even had that many in the donut case. It was pretty clear it was an honest mistake.

Since they used a Visa card, the discount card is irrelavant, IMO. I’ve done the same thing without a discount card, and they were able to pull up the sale from my Visa number.

I don’t know. The manager at the store said if they had not used the discount card he would not have been able to re-print the receipt showing the 12 dozen donuts.

The sale maybe but not each individual item.

This is why you don’t let kids use the self checkout! It is not a toy to keep them amused!

• The guy in line behind you rolling his eyes.

A few years ago a new grocery store opened near my home. I got one of their discount cards and used it a few times. A few months later I got a phone call, I had won a $500 store gift card because I used their discount card. Recently I received coupons worth $15.00 off future purchases from the same store, I used them all at the same time and saved some money. They are worth it in my opinion.

My 17 year old is perfectly capable of using self checkout. :rolleyes: right back atchya.

This seems like a good reason to keep a running total of what the bill should be and check before paying. But, yes, a credit card will definitely help if you have an erroneous transaction somewhere.

The “kids” are nineteen and seventeen and they both know how to use an ATM and a debit card/credit card transaction.

My mom plans on doing this in the future. My daughter did not know what the bill should have been or at least close too so it did not alert her that something was wrong.

Don’t those self-serve checkouts check the weight of the items placed in the bag? I know that’s not exact, but shouldn’t a gross (heh) error like that have been caught? Or does the system only care if the weight is more than the items scanned?

They do, and it should have. When the computer believes that something is amiss it will stop your transaction and say, “Please wait for cashier assistance.” Meanwhile, the cashier, who is overseeing four to eight U-Scan transactions at one time, is getting an annoying beep up at her station telling her that once again, the computer thinks there is a discrepancy. More often than not the computer is wrong and the cashier just over-rides the computer from her end. If she had eight U-Scans going and each one was being used, chances are good that at least four of them had a need for cashier assistance in one way or another (asking for ID for alcohol or smokes, writing a check, getting the right PLU for produce, helping the clueless figure out how to use a self-check…you get the idea.)

Generally, if a cashier over-rides the computer without carefully checking it out, the mistake goes in favour of the customer. This time it didn’t.

You know I have heard that but the one at our Giant Eagle does not do that. You simply scan the item and place it on the belt. The item then goes through an arch that also does some type of scan of the item as well. It can also detect if you try to carry the item around the arch.

It is weird because things like cat food in large bags the machine tells you to carry the item to your cart rather than place it on the belt. If you try that with other large items such as potatoes it instructs you to place the item on the belt.

Things like donuts or produce require a look up screen. When she looked up donuts it had a “dozen donut” button, she pressed that but then it asked for quantity and she entered 12, as in twelve donuts, a dozen.

So even through she passed the donuts under the arch there was nothing for it to scan to be sure that it was what she said it was.

I am sure that store gets ripped off on produce but I guess a person would have to search for the lowest priced veggie or fruit per pound and then when it came time to go through the check out it would weight the item and then on the look up menu you could cheat and put in the lowest produce.

I am not sure how many people do that. I would bet there are more errors because people can’t remember what the actual type of the tomato was they are buying then actually down right lying.

The sticker on the piece of fruit or the vegetable has a number on it. If you’re unsure what type of veg or fruit it is, you can use the keypad to punch in the item code. The one at my Giant calls out the name of the item, says ‘move your bananas to the belt’ after you’ve weighed and entered them.

I’m glad that worked out- $65 is a lot of money to lose on a fixed income! Nice kids, btw, to help out their grandmother and to try to fix the problem right away.

Kudos to Giant Eagle for working with the kids and not just blowing them off.

I did not know that. I don’t use the self check out very often as to me it is more of a pain in the ass then just waiting in line for a real person but I will remember that in the future.

I am very pleased they helped out. I was talking with my daughter about it yesterday and she said they printed out a copy of the receipt using the discount card so they could see the error. It also printed off the discount coupons to use on the next shopping trip :cool:

My kids are very helpful when it comes to helping grandma. I have been shopping for my mom for many years now and it not only helps her but myself as well. My daughter will also take her shopping now and then which can be an ordeal in its self but she does it. I am do glad I have raised such thoughtful children. I am very proud of them.

Tell your kids that I’ve made a similar mistake at Giant Eagle’s self-checkout too, but with bagels not donuts. I don’t think I put in 12 dozen dozen bagels but I do remember being utterly flummoxed on how to tell the machine I just bought 3 bagels, and I ended up doing the wrong thing and had to have a cashier bail me out.

So, it IS confusing, even for a 28-year-old college graduate who considers herself a “pro” self-checkout user :wink:

…and git yer biscuits in the oven and yer buns in the bed!

:smiley:

144 donuts?? Ewwwww… Gross!!

:smiley: