Another "Remember When...?"

My sister and I were in the back of our Ford Torino station wagon when it got rear-ended by a truck in San Francisco. The door got bent inwards, in between us. Even this didn’t make my parents think the practice was a bad idea.

I do that all the time. Nice, solid waffle iron, too.

:eek:

Yes! Wow, I never even thought about how we never see that anymore.

I told that to my GF and she thought it was the oddest thing she ever heard. She thought that I must have been horribly abused.

But you misspelled “galoshes.”

Oy. Do I remember. My mom got a waffle maker in the late '60s, and I swear we had waffles for supper once a week for several months. :rolleyes:

I bought a Sony SL5000 in the fall of '84 for five hundred bucks. A BetaMax, of course.
Remember when photocopiers used a special kind of paper?

Remember when one of the messiest jobs in the world was removing a stencil from a Mimeograph machine?

Remember the Edsel? Or, for that matter, Dodge’s push-button automatic transmission controller?

Remember when hot dogs had a bright red casing?

I remember that. Sometimes it would take two of us standing in unbearably uncomfortable Twister-like positions, with a third person there to give us bathroom breaks. Then cable came along and the selling pitch was that no one would have to watch commercials anymore or attach coat hangers to the antenna. We were too poor to have it and it took years to make it available in poor neighborhoods anyway, and by the time I finished college it was already full of commercials and the cost had doubled. We didn’t have a color TV until sometime in high school and it was a huge big deal. Conventional wisdom (or at least my mother) said that you had to sit at least 6 feet away or it would ruin your eyes with some vaguely described but terrifying eyeball attacking rays. My mother had quite the imagination. When the first TV remotes came out the channel would change or the set would go on and off every time that the dog walked through the room with his metal tags bouncing around.

I remember when it was a huge annoyance to get in line behind the person who was paying with the credit card instead of cash, because it took so much longer for the transaction. Now it’s often the other way around.

Ah, cable TV.

That was the thing that cost $8 per month, right? And your TV was connected to this big yellow box with pushbuttons?

That was awesome. I remember getting about 11 channels!

Remember the credit card machines with the credit card receipts in triplicate with carbon paper between the copies that recorded your full credit card number? No one worried about identity theft for a time - I remember when my mother started asking for the carbon paper to stop thieves from looking in the trash to get her information.

Remember when poorly made, molded-plastic cake decorations were a big deal on top of a cake? No “Ace of Cakes” type decorations. I had a ballerina once - I loved that ugly pink thing.

Remember birthday corsages? Tootsie Rolls and glitter with a carnation or two pinned to my jumper. I proudly wore my birthday corsage to school despite my fear of the punches for good luck from my friends.

Remember a “wash and set” and leaving the beauty shop with the stiff curls - no comb out until the last moment.

Remember pogs? I still have over 3,000 of them under my bed. They need to be burned.

I remember the excitement when Channel 4 began in the UK. It was called that because it was literally the fourth channel you could get.

Prior to that we only had BBC1, BBC2 and ITV. And pretty much everyone watched the same things, so there was a huge element of cameraderie and you could all talk about a specific programme to anyone you met, and nobody seemed to care too much about choice or variety.

ETA: and then me and my buddies got a free satellite dish and MTV pretty much only showed Vogue by Madonna on a loop, and Sky One was full of total low-budget dross (as opposed to high-budget dross like now).

Heck, that was a priviledge! I remember getting excited when my brothers, packing the back of the station wagon, would make a little spot for me to sit back there.

Catalogs. Big huge Sears, JC Pennys, and … I can’t remember the other one. The toys were in the back. I remember sitting on the couch studying the toy section of the catalog, dreaming over all the cool stuff I’d buy if only I could.

Someone mentioned about kids being made to go outside and play. When I was in kindergarten, I walked to school with another kindergartner. Just the two of us. We had to walk through a park to get to our school (called Parkside Elementary, natch). We walked alongside a fairly busy highway on the way. We regularly passed adults and no one gave any thought to being scared or anything.

Don’t! That’s what kids 40 years ago did with their comic books and baseball cards. It is inevitable that pogs will be worth something someday. You just have to balance the likely worth versus carting 3000 of those suckers around for the next 25 years.

I remember when bread came in waxed paper packaging. Re-used bread bags were the original ziplocks. :wink:

Speaking of rotary phones (and how many young people know how to use them?), back in the day we all had party lines.

The. Sears. Christmas. Catalog.

That would be Montgomery Wards. I really missed that one when they discontinued it.

Wishbook. Be respectful.

I remember depositing my paycheck every two weeks and taking out $20 for groceries and expenses for the next two weeks. I’d like to have THAT experience back again today.

Remember playing that ski race game on the VIC-20 where the little ambulance came and carted your little skier sprite away after it crashed?

Remember wading into the spring snow melt puddles and seeing how deep you could get without the water actually slopping over the tops of your rubber boots? And just when you were moving each foot a fraction of an inch per step and the meniscus was the only thing keeping you from a soaker your buddy would throw a chunk of ice in to make a wave? And how cold that ice water was in your boots? (And, yeah, bread bags were good for keeping your socks dry, at least until they inevitably worked their way down under your heels as you ran around.)

Remember making “boats” from a small chunk of wood nailed to a bigger piece cut to a point at one end, with a big nail for a mast and two smaller ones at each end for flagstaffs, and sailing them in the snow melt running in the ditches. Remember how you’d chase after them and run quickly past the culverts to see them come shooting out of the other end? Or when they didn’t come shooting out and you had to wade out and peer into the culvert to see what was blocking them and try and poke at the blockage until you boat came free, if you could find a long enough stick?

Mmmm, maybe not. You had to be there. YMMV. (Especially if you have no idea what “snow melt” is :slight_smile: .)

Exactly right…thank you!

Football games on television would show *marching bands *during halftime instead of 6 guys yapping about the game.

Soft drinks in dangerous glass bottles that required a bottle opener.

Gas stations with 3 or more attendants that would check everything when you got gas.

Actually going *inside *a strange house on Halloween to get candy.

Test patterns on tv.

White sidewalls on cars.