Another Weird Fact List: How many of these are true?

How would you know? Does anyone give out grants for the support of research into the statistics of personal ads?

Again, how would you know? I suppose if you see them fishing with their left paws… Still, I doubt a comprehensive survey has been done.

Here’s one with numbers! I love them… well, 18 acres of pizza is about 100 million square inches. A 16 in pie has pi (ha!) times 8 squared = 200 square inches. So we are talking 100 million sq. in. divided by 200 sq. in. per pizza = 500,000 pizzas per day. With about 300 million people in the US, that’s a pizza for every 600 people. That sounds perfectly reasonable - maybe even a bit low (at least if I’m representative!)

Balor, I would think that the rhyming word would have to actually be a word for it to county. Quick check of dictionary.com and of the poetry.com rhyming engine shows that oneth ain’t a word and there isn’t one that rhymes with month.

…which would include “gunth,” defined as a description of two firearms by a person with a lisp. :slight_smile:

…or that same person with a lisp yelling invective at an ERA rally.

Month isn’t the only word there is no rhyme for…

Try rhyming orange, purple or silver.

And I don’t want to hear that maple syrple poem either.

:slight_smile:

What, is nurple not a word?

I trided dictionary.com but got an error.

Not my Barbies.

As mentioned in my post above, 5 foot seven and a half inches. And bust, waist and hip measurements of 35, 23, 34. These numbers are rounded up slightly for tidiness (ie from 34 and three quarter inches etc), and are an average of the three nicest looking Barbies in the collection.

YBMV.

And yes, Waylon isa sort of role model. Anything wrong with that?
Redbarbieboss

I remember reading one of Isaac Asimov’s SF&F columns that confirmed this. Actually, it makes sense: the first version of an invention tends to be big and cumbersome, and then it gets refined to smaller and more compact. The original lighters were designed for cigars, actually, and came on the market around 1810-1820, if I recall correctly. They worked, but weren’t very efficient.

The problem with matches was to make them easy to light, and yet not liable to light spontaneously or inadvertently. There were also difficulties with using white phosphorous, which is quite poisonous over the long run. Eventually, matchmakers found a way to use red phosphorous, which is not as volatile or dangerous, by the invention of the friction strip.

I can think of many animals that can’t jump: crocodiles, aardvarks, hedgehogs, snakes, sloths, etc.

And I don’t think elephants would break their knees if they jumped. If you ever saw any circus shows, you’d see in some stunts where their front legs would be on a ball or another elephant’s back, then they’d jump off and onto the ground. That’s about a 4-5 ft drop and the impact would be the same as jumping.

Barbie is not a scale model, i.e. it is not sold as 1/6 scale, or 1/5th scale, so her height can be anything scaled up, 5’6", 6’0" etc. Her measurements would then be scaled according to her height.

Bumf rhymes with month.

Welby1.

You forgot to check Jewishpoetry.com:

Month schmonth,
orange schorange
purple schpurple
silver schsilver

You can find a rhyme to anything here.

Purple:

Roses are red
Violets are purple
I couldn’t get the cork out of the bottle
So Sue had her pull

I’ll think about the others

Orange does have a rhyme: citrange

Citrange is a citrus hybrid (Citrus sinensis Osbeck x Poncirus trifoliata) otherwise known as bitter orange or rootstock orange. The ‘range’ part is pronounced the same as in orange.

How about ‘doorhinge’?

Crap. Our eyes do continue to grow after birth - they just don’t grow as much as the rest of us because they start of diproportionately big. In fact, excessive eye growth due to overstimulation (from reading, prolonged exposure to light etc) is one of the main causes of short-sightedness (refer http://www.nature.com/nsu/990513/990513-1.html).

“pilfer” is a very close rhyme with “silver”. There’s also apparantly a word “chilver”, which has something to do with sheep.
“month” rhymes pretty well with “millionth”, “billionth”, etc.
“orange” rhymes with “door-hinge”, “sporange”, almost-kinda-maybe rhymes with “syringe” and “arrange” (if you say the words with certain accents), rhymes pretty well with “blancmange”, and definitely rhymes with Blorenge (a 1,833 ft. hill near Abergavenny, Wales).

I also found a few suggestions for rhymes with “purple”, but I don’t think they were true English words.

:slight_smile:

I’m pretty sure you mean a tinderbox, an ungainly device that used a flint-on-steel spark, like that used to ignite powder in a musket, to ignite shavings in a little box, creating a small fire from which to light a pipe or cigar. Hans Christian Anderson wrote a tale called The Tinder-Box, which was published in 1835 and described the device, which was referred to in the story as “old.”

Wrong. How about “Lumps,” with a lisp?

I did a long search but could not find confirmation to my idea that a rhino cannot jump. I did find out that the rhino in the game “Spiderman” can jump, but not very well. I also for some reason cannot pass up the chance to add the turtle to the list.

I have never wanted to be a civil engineer, but it seems to me obvious that adding books to the library would have nothing to do with the library sinking. What were they supposed to have built the library on? Quicksand? Permafrost? :confused:

Welby1 - note the :smiley: on my previous post.

Anyway, I have remembered another rhyme for “month”. I cannot remember all the verse but the last line went something like this

As for purple, are contractions valid as words? “Nothing’ll make you seem as rude as a burp’ll or a slurp’ll.”

“Watch what you say. I wouldn’t beat you up for a comment like that, but I bet that little twerp’ll.”

Chaim Mattis Keller