Anti-City Liberals

My own reason: people in cities are distrustful, and the “cultural” shit that everyone praises usually just means more bars and restaurants. And how often do people go to museums? There’s something to be said for small communities, trees, fresh air, and a contemplative, slow-paced life. Not really sure what this has to do with being “liberal” though.

Oh, and another thing: I meet so many liberals who find “diversity” a virtue in itself, but who have absolutely no friends of any different race, class, creed, religion, etc. than themselves. WTF? Are these “diverse” people just around to be gawked at? Are they only wanted so one can augment one’s own self-perception of sophistication and open-mindedness?

Why would a conservative ever live in a city? I don’t understand it, because on the maps most cities are blue!

Maybe a conservative on this board could explain why he or she would ever want to live in a city, being a conservative and all.
Seriously though, my politics have almost nothing to do with the population density in which I prefer to spend my time.

My two cents.

Lots of stuff that sounds great in theory either doesnt work so well in practice or isnt nearly as enjoyable in reality.

Its great to live in the city! Yeah!..visiting half a Saturday is enough for me, lets live somewhere else.

Lots of people like to pontificate on how others should live or how things should be done to appear smarter, more sophisticated, more sacrificing, whatever than everybody else, but when push come to shove, they do what THEY want, even when it doesnt jib with their words and calls to action.

Note, these things really arent liberal specific.

I grew up in a liberal family in a rural area and then I moved to the city. I like both. I would be very content to live in a small town if that town were Camden, Maine.

Small towns have lots of cultural events. I never lacked exposure to classical music or movies when I was growing up. We didn’t have good theater, but that didn’t keep us from giving birth to a Tony Award winning actress in a nearby town. We didn’t have much “culture,” but we had Tina Turner and Dixie Carter within a stone’s throw.

I think the idea that liberals don’t like cities is nonsense. NYC is liberal, right? Upstate New York is Conservative and more rural, right?