Any advice to someone moving to Fairfax, Virginia?

Completely incorrect.

I’m surprised to hear you say that, I also grew up a few blocks from where Domku is now and I’ve gone there a few times with my dad who still lives in the area and I though it was great. I seem to remember the owner coming to our table to ask how everything was on the times I’ve gone there.

He’s not completely incorrect. Thankfully I don’t ride the metro anymore but I remember a bunch of times when a train would break down and they would have to single track trains in both directions in that area.

Okay so then it practically functions as if that were true. There are frequent, long delays all along the line caused by trains stuck at stations. Whatever their system for removing inoperative trains from the line is, it’s worth shit.

If you check out Yelp, there are a lot of reviews that talk about how rude the owner has been, same on the Prince of Petworth blog. Originally, there were two women owners (a couple), but I believe they split up and one owner bought out the other. It could be that you interacted with the one who wasn’t a jerk, or it could be that the owner just hates me and my friends.

I agree with Caffeine Addict that the traffic in the city proper isn’t really that bad. I never worry about traffic, parking, or whether its rush hour or not if I’m driving in the city.

The fact that they can single track when there is a malfunction or maintenance is precisely because the system is double tracked during normal operations.

A train can malfunction at a site where utilizing the cross-overs is made more difficult, but that is differnt than a malfunction shutting down the entire line.

Sorry, my deficiency in knowledge of railroading jargon shows through. What I meant was that there’s only one track going in each direction.

But it does shut down the entire line for some period of time, until, as you say, a crossover can be used. And then after that the entire line is slowed down because of sharing a single track.

The system should have redundancies so that on the event of a breakdown trains going in opposite directions shouldn’t have to share a single track. You wouldn’t have to double up the entire line – just double the tracking at each station.

Perhaps is it semantics but “shut down the entire line” is like saying an accident in Woodbridge shut down I95 in Virginia. Not wrong but certainly paints a worse picture than reality.

I have a degree in Russian studies, so I got interested in what Russian communities are in the DC area and came across this site (in English and Russian):

Update: We’re all moved in, and now live in the Fair Oaks mall area. Doperfest, anyone? ;>

Welcome to our little corner of hell. But we just call it home. :wink:

Welcome to the neighborhood! I would be up for a Doperfest.

Welcome! I would be totally up for a Doperfest too. Perhaps Dogfish Head Alehouse would be a good location? I was going to suggest Honey Pig in Centreville, but that’s not really conducive to sitting and chatting…

Dogfish head would be awesome… we’ve been to the location in Rehoboth, but not in Fairfax. So… does anyone have experience in setting these things up?

If it’s a time and date that I can make it, I would be interested in a Dopefest. (Note: That’s the typical name, not Doperfest.) You should start a separate thread titled something like “Dopefest in Fairfax, Virginia”, because most posters who would be interested won’t be reading this thread.

Duly noted! Thanks for correction.