Any Backpackers In Here (Current or Past)

I’ve done the backcountry experience for 5-7 days at a time in Montana (Glacier National Park), Wyoming (Gros Ventre Range), and twice in California (Yosemite and nearby areas). I have never done backpacking as in hitch-hiking or experience a foreign country because I wasn’t brave enough, but looking back I wish that I had. Reading the experiences of those who did makes me envious.

I worked for six months after I got out of the army, saving up for my trip. I landed in Rome with a backpack and a copy of Let’s Go: Europe, made my way to London (via Florence, Venice, Nice, Bordeaux and Paris), then I went home and started college.

But thanks for playing.

Moderator Warning

This is an official warning for threadshitting and being a jerk.

Normally this would just be a mod note, but you have had a consistent problem with this type of behavior over the years and we really need you to stop doing it.

I know you are talking about something quite different, but these days, here in Europe, for the lowest transportation costs, flying the bargain-basement airlines is actually the best bang for your travel budget buck, assuming you can plan a month or two in advance, which admittedly not all backpackers have the luxury of doing.

Fopr example, a couple of weeks ago, I flew roundtrip from Krakow to Berlin for $12.00 U$D, after all taxes and fees, while the same trip on a train is well over $80, and takes 6+ hours, where the flight is less than a one hour hop.

Next month, I am flying from Krakow to Venice, then back to Krakow from Bologna roundtrip for less than $18.00, all in.

Of course the cheapskate airlines try to make up for their dirt-cheap fares by nickel & diming you to death for every possible extra (extra bag fees, a cup of water on the flight, choosing a seat in advance, early boarding, etc.) but if you can handle the cattle car atmosphere for an hour or two, flying between major cities in Europe is embarrassingly cheap.

(You do need to do a bit of research to be sure of exactly were you are going, as often these no frills airlines fly into smaller, secondary airports, not the major international ones, kind of like flying to Chicago’s Midway instead of O’Hare, but there is always affordable ground transportation to get you into the heart of the action once you land, although sometimes the 10 mile train ride to the city center costs more than the 500 mile flight does, literally)

When I was in Australia, there was a guy in my hostel who told me about a friend who would get free airplane trips all over the world by telling the airlines they could use the pictures she took for their advertising, websites, etc.

Is anyone a member of the Couchsurfing travel community? If so, has anyone used it? I have in Australia and Asia and besides the accommodations, there is a lot of great information to know, meet-ups, finding a person for an event, etc…

I hitchhiked around Japan one summer in 86. Slept in a tent behind truck stops, in parks and by rice paddies.Met some really great people as well as my exwife.

I also stayed with friends that I had known before but the best part was meeting new friends and then getting invited to stay with them.

Did that trip influence your username?

And out of curiosity, have you ever hitchhiked in Taiwan? I’ve only hitchhiked in Australia because in the US, it’s illegal.

Who told you that? It’s illegal to hitch on an interstate highway but people (including me) hitchhike all the time in the US.

I’m not sure, but I think it was something like Lonely Traveler… I remember finding it at the hostel bookshelves.

Has it been easy for you to hitch a ride? Are you in a populated area? I’m very curious, and would love to hear about the mechanics (and any cool stories!)

No.

I lived in Japan for 25 years, and was living in Tokyo when I joined here. Hence the name.

Never hitchhiked in Taiwan. The first time I visited Taiwan, I was well into my 40s and engaged to be married. Since then, we’ve gotten married and have kids so it’s doubtful if I will hitchhike now.

I typically hitch on the mountains, getting a ride back to my car after a long hike. That’s where I usually pick up hikers as well.

The mechanics are you stand on the roadside and stick your thumb out. No real cool stories, just a series of useful rides.

I will never understand this hostility towards technology on an online message board. Having a mobile phone abroad can be a wonderful thing. Although I wasn’t a backpacker and hostel type on my first trip abroad, there was nothing like texting a friend in the middle of the night when I’m jet lagged, lonely, and sick in another country and realised I knew no one within 3000 miles.

I’m glad my 5 year old nephew already has his passport and had been to two countries. You’d better believe I’m going to encourage him to travel, do a semester abroad, and do the equivalent of the Eurail/hostel trip when he’s old enough.

I wish I did it when I was younger but sadly it was never the case. Did have friends (older) who did that thing and were able to even go to places such as Afghanistan before it became even riskier.

Two questions, if I may- if you are staying in hostels now how do you secure your valuables such as passport and electronics? Is there a need to?
And in the colder climates how do you manage without a heap of warm clothing?

I’ll be wandering around Europe on trains with only a backpack later this year, staying at cheap hotels. It’s practice for an attempt to backpack the Camino from France to Campostela de Santiago in a couple of years, staying at pilgrims’ hostels.

First question, I’d say 99% of hostels have locks. However, I did once have my pills stolen by these “mates” I had met in Holland. I remember thinking about locking my stuff, and one of the guys saying, “You don’t trust us?” - well, that was the last time I trusted anyone. Also, some hostels will allow you to keep your passport with them.

As for warm clothing, I’m always visiting a much warmer place, but still always have one long-sleeved shirt, long pants. I’m usually wearing a coat anyway, since I tend to leave in the winter for another country’s summer.

When I said in hostels that were multiple beds per room, I slept with my money belt on. Contained my passport, cash and credit cards (and traveler’s checks back in the day). I always had a money belt that was worn inside of my pants. It as kind of a big, water proof wallet that fit a passport, and it hung down the back of my pants in the inside much like a wallet.

These days I would definitely have a back up credit card or ATM card in a second place like inside the backpack. Back in the 1980’s when I backpacked solo in Tibet, I had an elastic band that fit over my calf and could hold a passport. I always had enough cash to get me back to Hong Kong stashed in there just in case. Never had to use it.

Two schools of thought on securing your backpack that you leave behind in the hostel. One school is that it has locks. The other school is you deliberately don’t have locks or don’t lock it. Most folks that rip off a hostel will simply cut your backpack to get inside, so I never really thought that was much of a deterrent.

Another security tip. Never ever leave your passport as some kind of deposit. For example, for renting a bicycle. Should there ever be a dispute, walking away from a $200 deposit may be painful but not nearly the impact of trying to get your passport back or replaced. Ditto if you get hung up, back to where ever your passport is on deposit for something, and not be able to retrieve it to the next day even if you need it that night.

Any make sure you have a back up copy of your passport, photo’s of it on your phone, etc.

Cold climates use layers. Take 1-2 pairs of really good thermal underwear. These are lightweight, don’t take up much space, and really help a lot to keep you warm.

Have fun!

Thanks for the replies- we are too old and carry too much crap for backpackers and hostels these day. However we have learned if you are near one there is normally a food shop that sells hearty food and cheap booze.

Of course staying in hotels doesn’t protect you necessarily. A few years ago we stayed in Tromso and the “security” for passports etc was a sealed envelope behind the front counter. On the day of departure, when we went to retrieve it it had been accessed but we were told not to worry as it was only staff. Days of identity theft so I gave them a bake on Trip Advisor- and received a reply from one of the managers who said I should have booked a more expensive room.