Any hope for the son of this self-absorbed jerk?

Word.

I just don’t know what the fuck some people are thinking.

I thought we all learned the lesson from Mel that it’s the Jews.

Or are “the Lawyers” and “the Rich People” are code words for the Jews?

(along with “New Yorkers”)

:smiley: ;j :smiley:

Either car would easily top 100 without much trouble.

Highway, maybe (depends on how well the Ford was rebuilt). But not quickly, which kills drag racing down Route 106*, a business/residential street with which I am very familiar. Any vehicle can be driven recklessly. However, you don’t street race in old Fords or run-of-the-mill Chevy’s. AND, while many 17 y.o. boys act as though they are invincible, families who provide such vehicles and/or boys who earn them are already showing increased signs of responsibility - the kind of signs that might point out the inherent flaws with inexperienced drivers racing in residential areas.

*Route 106, in Nassau County, NY, is not mentioned in the Time article, but that is where this accident occured.

Here are details of the crash, from Newsday:

What i don’t get is why the prosecution even needed the Electronic Data Recorder to prove excessive speed. Surely the accident investigation people could have told them, based on the damage, the skidmarks, etc., roughly how fast the cars were going? There’s a huge difference between the amount of damage caused at 50mph, and the amount at 140mph.

And surely the witnesses mentioned in D_Odds’s story would have helped. While they probably can’t say exactly how fast the cars were going, the difference between 50 and 140 is pretty obvious.

Anyhow, at least the EDR sealed the deal.

My understanding of “accident investigation professionals” is that they’re a lot like other proffessional witnesses in that it’s not a very thoroughly advanced or scientific field. Reports that I have read hav had different accident investigators, even those working for the same organization and without differing biases in what type of conclusion people might want them to produce, have had vastly different conclusions about speed, cause of the accident, etc., often by a factor of 2 x or more.

You got it, Sugar Tits.

:stuck_out_tongue:
BTW, did they also have any added charges for perjury?

There a large number of kids out there who will drag race any car they happen to be driving, so long as they are unsure about the car they are up against.

I don’t know about over where this happened but at least here in CA the CHP and just about any large city department have specialized people who do more detailed analysis of fatal accident scenes. There is actually alot of work in making this as scientific as possible, unfortunately you are dealing with a mountain of variables that could choke a bevy of well made new PC’s. Even if you plugged in every scrap of data you could get your hands on into some kind of simulation model you could probably get 15 methods to get the end result. It dosen’t make it unscientific, just lacking data for a detailed breakdown of exactly what happened. If the data they have creates ambiguous results they usually know where to look to help firm up those results one way or the other.