Any math students ever done this?

Of course. Negative signs - How could I forget that one.

If it helps, everyone does that (well, not everyone, but a very large number of people). I know I certainly make that mistake all the time.

My TI-89 chews up TI-83’s and spits them in the faces of your ti-34 and ti 86 .

Ill take on ANY calculator dumb enough to step to this 89! Especially those reverse notation HP jalopies!! Thank god they don’t make calculators anymore. :slight_smile:

My TI-89 chews up TI-83’s and spits them in the faces of your ti-34 and ti 86 .

Ill take on ANY calculator dumb enough to step to this 89! Especially those reverse notation HP jalopies!! Thank god they don’t make calculators anymore. I got so tired of listening to the damn things beep in class because the moron using it didn’t know how to turn off the beep factor. :slight_smile:

Damn server must be running an HP calculator in the background because it decided to stack my posts. :wink:

You people use calculators? :eek: Geez, my Maple eats your TI-89 for breakfast!

It would be really funny (to anyone not taking the exam) if the professor allowed calculators, but made the test up entirely of problems that make mincemeat out of any lump of silicon, if used naively. (To Stinkpalm et al.: yes, even your TI-wossnames.)

I managed to acquire a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering using only an inexpensive Casio whose only redeeming features were a two-line editable display and a 256 byte (that’s right, a whole 1/4 kilobyte!) function memory. It did absolutely everything I needed it to do, even though I was severely jealous of my (going to school on daddy’s money) classmates’ HP 48 SX’s that could do everything including playing f*cking music!
But right after graduation, while taking a refresher class for the EIT exam, I (foolishly) took the professor’s advice and bought myself the slickest, most advanced TI calculator available at the time (TI-83a I think). I damn near failed the exam because I couldn’t use the expensive POS! I didn’t need any of it’s fancy functions and graphing capabilities and 32k memory. I would have been MUCH better off sticking with the old trusty rusty.
And the moral of the story is, your precious TI-89 is just an expensive tool. It’s knowing how to use it that makes it useful.

I think my TI-92 Plus would be up to that challenge.

TI-92+ is the same exact calculator as the 89 except it has a nice big keyboard and a bigger screen. The calculators have the same exact capabilities.

Except most instructors are weary of letting people use the 92 because of its big size.

I carry the inch thick manual around in my book bag. I learn how to do everything as soon as possible so I can use the calc to its fullest.

I can do everything by hand as well though.