Any nice, soothing piano music recommendations?

Classical, but there’s a set of CDs called “Beethoven for Relaxation,” and ditto for Brahms, Mozart, and Bach. I find them very VERY relaxing.

Here’s a piano cover of a deadmau5 song. It might be slightly more upbeat/energetic than some of the suggestions in this thread, but I still find it soothing.

Andrew Rangell’s CD “A Recital of Intimate Works” includes this. The whole CD sounds like just what the OP is looking for.

As for Oscar Peterson, I’m not so sure – his ballads, yes, but a lot of his stuff is intricate, fast, be-bop or even swing-style jazz. Really fast, awesome, intricate fingerwork is not what I call relaxing, personally.

Chopin’s “Raindrop” Prelude is a well known classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OFHXmiZP38

Add me to the list of fans of Chopin and Satie.

Also, again absolutely not jazzy, but I love Philip Glass.

Jazz pianists to consider or to check out at YouTube:

George Shearing
Bill Evans
Ahmad Jamal
Keith Jarrett
Lyle Mays
Tommy Flanagan
Peter Nero

Whisperings, er, rocks. Or tinkles. Thank for the link!

A couple at random:

Schumann, Romance op. 28, no. 2 Schumann: Romance op. 28 #2, Stephen Ham, Piano - YouTube

Schubert, Impromptu in G-flat major Schubert: Impromptu in G flat Op. 90 No. 3 - YouTube

He sings and plays trumpet in a small group with piano but your mention of soothing standards makes me think that Chet Baker ( Misty, Someone to watch over me ) should be mentioned. Try on pandora . He perfectly fits your request.

George Winston - very soothing, nice background music

Yes. You will find him on the Wyndham Hill label I linked to near the start of this thread. :slight_smile:

Anything by John Thulin. His stuff is great.

Phillip Glass - Solo Piano Link

Also, from his Glassworks album, the song “Opening” is wonderful, but that album is not strictly piano.

I also enjoy

Music for Airports by Brian Eno, but it’s not strictly piano. Mostly, but not all. It will put you to sleep most definitely though. I absolutely love that album.
Music For Airports

A little, tinkly jazzy piano? How about some ragtime?

Suzanne Ciani, a New Age artist, has 3 non-electronic albums featuring simple piano arrangements of her songs - “Pianissimo” volumes 1-3. They’re all available on CD and to download from itunes (for some reason amazon only has volumes 1 & 2 available to download.) Lovely melodies, very soothing.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=suzanne+ciani+pianissimo&rh=n%3A5174%2Ck%3Asuzanne+ciani+pianissimo

Soothing? That’s “get up and jump around like a spastic cat” music!

Well, whatever works for you. :slight_smile:

I always enjoyed George Winston. http://www.amazon.com/Seasons-Piano-Solos-George-Winston/dp/B0009LDNCW

My roommate and I used to fall asleep to his music in college.

Carl Doy - any of his CD’s heres one example

Most of Bill Evans’ *Conversations with Myself *would fill the bill.

Raul di Blasio:

Both of these are from the album ‘Solo’ but I also highly recommend ‘Grand Exitos’. It’s the most interesting and varied mix of sad, sleepy, jazzy, fluty and modern piano I’ve heard.