Any non-natural-born senators?

[quibble]He wasn’t born in Canada, he was born in Nova Scotia. Canada didn’t exist in 1812.[/quibble]

Former Arizona Senator Barry Goldwater was born in Phoenix in 1909, 3 years before Arizona became a state. Yes, it is still the USA but interesting nonetheless.

I could be wrong, but I think former New York senator Jacob Javits was born in Eastern Europe; Poland, I think.

Nope, Sen. Javits was born in New York City.

Slightly further afield, Sam Houston was Governor of Tennessee before moving to Texas and eventually becoming its governor as well - the only multistate example in that office.

Former Mass. governor Endicott “Chub” Peabody (about whom there was a joke that he was the only man to have 4 towns in the state named after him: Endicott, Peabody, Marblehead, and Athol) came very close to running for Senate from New Hampshire a couple of years ago.

Hijack for a minute. What’s a hedge school? Mentioned in the posting of the tri-state Senator from Ireland.

Were Senator Javits’s parents immigrants? For some reason there’s some connection between Javits and Poland in my mind. Perhaps I’m just crazy.

This is from the Britannica biography of George Washington:

“born Feb. 22 [Feb. 11, Old Style], 1732, Westmoreland county, Va. [U.S.]
died Dec. 14, 1799, Mt. Vernon”

And even if Washington hadn’t been born in the US he was eligible for President having been a citizen of one of the United States at the time of the adoption of the Constitution.

Dictionary.com:

Sen. Rudy Boschwitz, R-Minn, served 1978-1990 (defeated in 1990 and 1996 by Paul Wellstone). Born in Berlin. I believe he was a war refugee - but I’m not sure.

More about Irish hedge schools.

FROMENTIN, Eligius, a Senator from Louisiana (1813-1819); born in France; pursued classical studies; ordained a Catholic priest; exercised his ministry at Etampes, France; fled from France during the Reign of Terror and immigrated to the United States.

Here’s a contemporary description of a hedge school, in case anyone’s interested.

I have a Communist Representative!

UncleBill, they weren’t commies in 1952

Believe me, I know that. Batista left Havana January, 1959, and Castro took power. The Representative “emigrated” when she was seven. Her birthday is July 15th. Her seventh birthday was July 15, 1959.

I am just averse to using smileys.