Seinfeld could have gone on for at least one more season, but Jerry Seinfeld declined doing another one.
“Soap” was still a big hit show when it was canned. In fact, the producers were so sure of it being renewed, that the final episode of the fourth season ended with three major cliffhangers. In an interview, Katherine Helmond stated that a script for at least the first episode of a fifth season was written (in which her character would be rescued from the firing line). But the religious right were gaining in strength at the time and effectively pressured the network into discontinuing it.
[QUOTE=elfkin477]
The Single Guy was one of the highest rated shows to be cancelled.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but the show sucked. Paint Drying Extreme could have gotten the same ratings in that time slot.
I didn’t know Rome had gotten cancelled - rather, when Deadwood got the axe I heard that it was because they were both expensive shows and HBO decided to keep Rome.
Reba was the highest rated sitcom on the WB/CW’s entire network and was cancelled last month although there is some talk that it may still get picked up by another network. Linky
The Jamie Lee Curtis/Richard Lewis sitcom, Anything but Love, was cancelled by the studio because they believed they couldn’t sell it in syndication.
Joan of Arcadia was cancelled by CBS because of demographics–the average age of viewers was 53.
[QUOTE=Zsofia]
I didn’t know Rome had gotten cancelled - rather, when Deadwood got the axe I heard that it was because they were both expensive shows and HBO decided to keep Rome.
[/QUOTE]
Rome was also responsible for the cancelling of Carnivale, wasn’t it?
Dear og, that Rome show has done a lot of damage, and it wasn’t even very good.
[QUOTE=Dr. Rieux]
Joan of Arcadia was cancelled by CBS because of demographics–the average age of viewers was 53.
[/QUOTE]
Well, my daughter and I were trying to bring down the average. We watched every show, and I still cry a little inside.
Scoundrel Swanswater, bite your tongue. Rome is most excellent.
[QUOTE=Sampiro]
The original Battlestar Galactica was cancelled for high production costs even though it was very popular. Then it was majorly retooled and brought back due to public demand and became Galactica 1980- which kept Lorne Greene and some minor characters but ditched everyone else with almost no explanation). G1980 flopped in the ratings while still being expensive to produce.
[/QUOTE]
What parallel universe do you live in? There was never any such thing as Galactica 1980. Never existed. Nope. Never, never, ever existed.
[QUOTE=ivylass]
Well, my daughter and I were trying to bring down the average. We watched every show, and I still cry a little inside.
Scoundrel Swanswater, bite your tongue. Rome is most excellent.
[/QUOTE]
Rome can’t hold a candle next to the brilliance that was Carnivale.
I liked it enough, but I don’t think it deserved the hype it got.
It was pretty much a boring soap opera placed in Rome.
(Then I only saw the first season to be honest)