Any suggestions, warnings or advise about getting my kitchen remodeled?

We are finally finishing up a kitchen remodel that started last May believe it or not. Our contractor turned into a liar and didnt finish the job so we have had to do stuff ourselves. We are currently suing him.

Thing was I checked references and this guy was a pretty good contractor till about a year ago when he just went flaky and started doing bad work.

My advice, get a loan and be prepared to spend more than you think.

Never enough countertop outlets! Install “4-plex” outlets every 2 feet, each on its own 20 amp GFCI breaker.

Like this…
http://inspectapedia.com/electric/Electrical_Receptacle_0322_DJFcs.jpg

Not to be an IKEA apologist, but… why? What’s the point in paying out of the nose for a “custom built” plywood box from a cabinet store, when you can buy a flat-pack which is functionally equivalent, for a lot less?

Do you have any personal experience with IKEA kitchens?

This for sure! It’s the biggest mistake I made when we re-did our kitchen (literally, my husband and I did it all, including removing a wall and installing a bigger window.) Not only did I have the fridge sitting where the right-hand door wouldn’t open all the way, but it fit so snugly in its space, we had a terrible time when we had to move it out so I could clean the fridge properly. And I didn’t have to put the fridge there - I had all kinds of space to arrange things. It was just a colossal brain fart.

And IMHO, you can never have too many drawers. We have 2 cabinets with deep drawers - one holds sauce pans and lids, the other holds our many plastic storage containers. So much easier to deal with than shelves!!

Another vote for IKEA, they are particularly good for smaller spaces. When we first bought our house, I put in an IKEA kitchen that lasted us for about 7 years until we finally did a big overall of the kitchen with a contractor. The IKEA kitchen was functional and attractive during those years, nothing broke, or wore out. Even if you don’t want to DIY, IKEA kitchens with professional installation are very affordable. You don’t have to buy the appliances from them if you don’t want. Also, they have a design app that is really helpful, you can play around with it even if you don’t want to get your kitchen from them.

Don’t forget proper lighting. Additional under cabinet lighting is a real plus.

Don’t take this as me arguing with you, but after you tell him to fuck off, you will get countertops for a few thousand dollars. If the OP wants serviceable and not top-of-the-line appliances, that’s another few thousand. Cabinets, $8K. Still under $20K. I agree if you want to gut your kitchen and build a new one, $20K is nothing, but you could make significant improvements for that much.

It’s going to take far longer and much more money than you anticipated.

We like it when customers self select.

Listen, many pieces of remodeling are a commodity. Countertops are pretty much there-with the transparency of the internet, the cost is what the cost is.

Additionally, when we’re the 4th guy in there, and we say it’s going to be $40k, then you bitch and whine because everyone else told you 40k, the problem is not the contractors.*

You’ve got three variables. Price, Quality, Size.

*HGTV pricing is not reality, folks.

What about if the OP sticks to laminate countertops? I’m seeing (on various websites) the cost at about $30 per square foot. And the big box stores often have prefab pieces of laminate countertop. If they will fit your space, or you can design the room so you can use these stock countertops, you can save money.

Our last house we did a minor kitchen remodel when we moved in, and planned to do a full, walls down, plumbing moved major surgery in 5 years, so we put in Ikea cabinets.

Honestly they’re durable, they have a million different options that have convenience as a primary objective and they’re about 1/4 the cost that any cabinet company quoted me.

We ended up selling that house after 7 years but we put off the kitchen remodel for a number of reasons, not the least of which was that the cabinets mitigated a lot of the issues that we thought we needed to do a major remodel to fix (small, no storage, etc)

One thing I will say is that when they say you need 4 feet for pathways they are NOT kidding. My biggest mistake was extending a counter to make room for the dishwasher making the main path through the kitchen only 40" wide. I didn’t think 8 inches would be a big deal but it was. Oh it was.

Oh also whatever timeframe they give you add 50%. If all goes well you’ll be pleasantly surprised, if things go normally you won’t be too annoyed and if things go badly well, you’ve had a few weeks less of annoyance? Make a subkitchen somewhere so you’re not eating out the entire time and if you can - precook and freeze a bunch of meals before you start.

Smartest thing I did in my kitchen was design one surface to be at exactly the perfect height for me. For chopping, mixing, kneading etc. Just a couple of inches below my hip. I put mine, in front of the only window, which makes it even more awesome.

If I’d known what a big difference it would make, in how much more enjoyable most every cooking task would be, I’d have made myself something portable, years ago, instead of waiting till I had my own home!

Prepping food is just so much more relaxing and comfortable, when the work surface is exactly the right height for you! Something to consider!

We just redid our kitchen about 2 year back… we didn’t expand the space but we did install new cabinets, counter tops, flooring and also did some electrical & plumbing work to put in a dishwasher for the very first time, which cost more than your budget currently is. YMMV, as I’m in the NYC metro area the costs could be lower for you.

I will second the comment on putting in under cabinet lighting - it is beautiful and one of the best decisions I made. I went with LED lighting from a great (and very helpful) company called Elemental LED.

My electrician had no experience installing LED lights but he said if I bought everything he’d install it, so making sure I got the right stuff was all on me. I couldn’t quite figure out what parts I needed so I emailed these folks my design plan and the next day they gave me 2 complete sets of options, very clearly listing out all the items I would need for the install. Installation plans came with it, as well as an 800# for the electrician to call in case they had questions. Could not recommend them more highly.

Well sure. The point I was making is that you can burn through $20K without much effort, depending on what you want the place to look like.

OK, it’s just when you said “counter top replacement alone runs at least $80/sqft” you didn’t seem to leave room for the cheaper option.

Thinking more about my remodel…I think my two favorite new things in the kitchen:
a) My instant-hot water system - basically an additionally small hot water tank at the sink, so I have ~200 degree water on tap.
b) I wanted a double oven, but didn’t really have enough reason to get one. Also, I didn’t have a spot for it. So I got a a Samsung oven with their flex dual oven thingy. Basically, there is a removal heat shield in the middle of the oven, creating a top and a bottom oven. I have separate temperature controls for each one. If I remove the heat shield, I have a standard, normal sized oven. The only time I do this is when I’m cooking a turkey or something like that - the rest of the time, I just use the smaller sections.

You mean except for the parenthetical phrase immediately following, which said “depending on what material you use”?

Note to newbies:

Nothing is straight, nothing is plumb, nothing is level, nothing is square. nothing is flat.

All those handy, pre-cut/prefab pieces can be simply plopped down and look and work really well.

Just as soon as your kitchen is all straight, plumb, level, square and flat.

There are some nice matte finished stone counter tops, a nice change from the high shiny granite.

Single unit ovens are much, much cheaper than separate range and oven.

Get a nice oven, they’re worth it; I paid about $1300 ten years ago and was very happy with it.

Cheap dishwashers are useless.

Do NOT install 15 or 20 light units all over the place.

Paint it a nice yellow; yellow kitchens are so cheerful in the morning.

Thanks everyone for your advice, even if it is wildly contradictory. There isn’t an Ikea in Tucson, the nearest one is 100 miles away in Phoenix, so I don’t think that’s an option. But I’ll check out their website to play with their planning tool.

I have a contractor coming on Monday, but I have little hope for being able to afford their services. I stopped by Home Depot yesterday to get an idea of prices, and I may end up going that way, as it seemed more affordable.

I plan to live in this house for another 5 years or so, then move. My idea is that an updated kitchen will add value to the house, but I want to be able to enjoy it for a while.