Any WWE fans in the audience?

Usually, I scoff at the “OMG, <insert name here> is turning heel” headlines in my newsfeed, because swerves are sometimes last minute booker decisions and depend on a number of factors, such as injuries, audience interest, and ways to end angles that go nowhere. In this case however, the speculation works because of serendipity.

Watch: Samoa Joe’s Message to AJ Styles During WWE Backlash is Both Ominous and Hilarious

Post got repeated and I can’t think of anything new to say to replace it. :stuck_out_tongue:

What really sucks is that Edge apparently suffered his injury during the reshoots. If they had just had a traditional live match, it might not have happened.

I watched from time to time, but who knew there was so much drama
I’m into it

It might have happened in the match after that. Edge isn’t exactly a spring chicken anymore.

The board picked the wrong weekend to disappear for a few days, because a lot has happened in terms of sexual misconduct/assault/harassment allegations being raised against a number of wrestlers.

Among other things, Jack Gallagher has been fired from WWE, and Jordan Devlin, Travis Banks, Ligero, Velveteen Dream, and Matt Riddle are under investigation for sexual assault and grooming (though in Riddle’s case it appears he may have been a victim of cyberstalking.) Joey Ryan has been fired from Impact over multiple assault allegations and MLW has let one of its announcers go for sexting with underage individuals. A number of OVW alumni have come forward saying that, in exchange for a push, Jim Cornette would pressure them to have sex with his wife while he watched. AEW has sent Jimmy Havoc to rehab over reports that he self-harms and threatened suicide as a way of bullying women he was involved with.

More allegations are likely coming, and I’m shocked, but I can’t say I’m surprised.

Gallagher hasn’t just been fired, but completely ghosted. With the new allegations and text messages, if be surprised if VD will be around much longer. Supposedly WWE knew of Riddle’s allegations and thought the matter settled.

Lots going on, and none of it in the ring.

I remember when Ultimate Warrior ranted that Hulk Hogan offered his wife to him for sex. It sounded like another one of UW’s delusions, but in this case true.

I’m sure lots of hookups go on backstage, like when Paige videoed herself doing the nasty with Xavier Woods. Cornette talks about all the “ring rats” that Ricky Morton bumped uglies with. On the comics front, Warren Ellis has been outed as a groomer, and he’s copped to behaving badly without going into specifics. There’s more Louie CKs and Harvey Weinsteins being exposed lately.

I hate to read these accounts, and I’m sure I believe most of them, but I hope that no one is getting thrown into the world of baseless twitter accusations.

It’s weird because I hope most of the accusations are false, but them being false is bad for a whole host of other reasons than if they’re all true…which is also terrible.

Apropos of nothing: I’m watching the Shawn Michaels/Steve Austin WWF Title match at WrestleMania XIV, in which Mike Tyson fast-counted Michaels and then knocked him out. Did they ever explain why Tyson turned on Michaels?

CHIKARA is now shutting down after Mike Quackenbush has been hit with multiple allegations and much of the roster has quit in protest.

They probably won’t be the only small promotion to go under because of all this.

It was probably a way to have Austin win without Michaels looking like a chump. Plus, it would be “just desserts” for Michaels winning in a fast count over Bret Hart for the world title, even though it was Vince’s call.

Renee Young has covid, and PWInsider is reporting that at least two dozen WWE personnel, including in-ring talent and production, have tested positive.

It’s worth noting that Jon Moxley missed this week’s episode of Dynamite because of a potential covid contact - which, now that we know it was his wife, means he’ll probably be missing his title match at Fyter Fest next week.

Moxley isn’t until Fyter Fest Night 2, July 8, so if he quarantines away from Young, shows no symptoms, and passes the test, he might be available. Probably find out definitively by next episode, at the latest.

According to what I’ve read they were planning to tape both nights of Fyter Fest on Wednesday, so that could be a problem for Mox. Time will tell.

Looks like masks are back in the WWE. I wonder why. :roll_eyes:

Both WWE and AEW have flaunted social distancing and facial covering safety precautions, with WWE being much more egregious about it (probably prompted by VKM’s admiration of something that thinks the pandemic is just a tactic to keep it from being re-elected coupled with VKM’s own, numerous personality ‘quirks’). On-air talent is being told not to disclose the results of their tests publicly, though it wasn’t made clear if this was after the confirmed cases (Young, Braxton, Pearce, and Noble - all of whom are arguably not ‘talent’ from a very specific definition of the word in regards to wresting) went public with their diagnoses.

I have been a fan of wrestling for nearly 5 decades; I grew up watching WWWF TV on TV long before I knew there was anything other than WWWF. But every year, VKM makes it harder and harder to support something I have enjoyed for so long. I don’t know what proverbial straw will finally break the camel’s back, but that damn camel is carry a greater load than he should right now. I can only hope VKM (and Dunn) removes themselves before I remove myself.

This is both funny and horrifying: PAIGE SEEMINGLY CONFIRMS #SPEAKINGOUT CLAIMS OF ABUSE AGAINST HER FAMILY IN RESURFACED INTERVIEW

Paige said that Daniel Bryan was booked for her family’s wrestling company in 2003. This was a show where he was slated to wrestle three times in a night. Nobody picked Bryan up from the airport so he had to show up on his own. Then Paige admitted that a story which appeared in Daniel Bryan’s autobiography is about her famous family.

“This story is in his book and it’s definitely about my dad and brother. [Bryan] walked into the locker room and he had to find his own way there and he says ‘I just see these two guys and one guy’s holding the other behind the back like this and the other one’s punching him in the stomach like this.’ He says ‘hey guys, I’m Bryan da da da da,’ and my dad says, ‘Oh hey I’m Ricky Knight’ and then he turns and continues punching this guy in the stomach. Then [Bryan] leaves and he comes back and he sees my dad and brother dangling this guy out the window by his feet they were like four stories in the air.”

Later on, people started apologizing to Daniel Bryan and he didn’t understand why they were saying they were sorry. Bryan thought it was because he needed to wrestle three times in a row.

It was finally explained to Daniel Bryan that he witnessed something brutal, and he didn’t realize what it was at the time. The guy being roughed up apparently said something about the Knight Family, so Paige’s dad and brother were giving him a proper beating for it. Paige explained that they are very protective.

I would perversely like to see this animated in WWE Story Time style, especially the part where DBD walks in on the beatdown and absurdly maintains his composure — ‘hey guys, I’m Bryan da da da da,’ and Paige’s dad stops punching the guy long enough to properly introduce himself.

Edge is in a straight-to-VOD movie called “The Money Plane” and apparently it’s a “so bad it’s good” experience. Here’s a hilarious review from Uproxx.

Hilarious episode of Up Up Down Down — Miz gets yelled at by his wife, Samoa Joe, Cesaro and Adam Cole talk smack, Woods faints from the harsh language, and Prince Pretty gets off some epic gloating.

I’m not really in the mood to type a whole thing about yesterday’s Extreme Rules. Overall it was a perfectly fine show with generally bad endings. The women’s match ending was terrible, I’m kinda pissed I didn’t see a horrible-looking rubber eyeball (although the throwing up was a fun touch), Ziggler losing was terrible in every sense of the word and the Swamp Match ended with a meh.