Anyone been to Iceland?

That just means you have to go back and try again! I think I need too, as well.

Don’t worry, no matter how you pronounce it, they won’t understand you. From what I can tell, their entire language is based on mumbling and somehow understanding each other. When you speak a full word that you feel is pretty clear, like RANAGATA, they’re like “What?” Then you show them the map and they’re like “Ohhhhh … mumble mumble mumble

I refer you to a universally accepted and agreed upon statement.

Ask the Icelandic dude. Man, I wish WormTheRed was still around.

Very good point, and it did cross my mind. I originally included a specific example, then. I thought (a) the £ equivalent wouldn’t mean much to most people and I don’t know the $ equivalent and (b) this was 9 years ago. So I didn’t. It does sound a little less horrendous than it was.

Has anyone that’s been to Iceland seen the Divergent Boundary? Between the Eurasian and North American continental tectonic plates? Is it impressive or only noticed because you know what it is?

Anyone been to the crater of Snæfellsjökull, which the shadow of Scartaris touches before the Kalends of July?

No reason.

Great Pictures! interface2x and leahcim thanks for sharing!

It was a feature of our Golden Circle tour, which someone else above mentioned they did too. Kind of cool to know that’s where we were (if indeed they were telling us the truth) but no, no more impressive than a dozen other glorious bits of dramatic scenery in Iceland.

Rumour has it that you can go very deep indeed downwards.

That’s what this place is. It’s a very cool and interesting place to visit because of the geological aspects of it. The space in between the plates is actually a mile or two, though, so you don’t really get a feel for the separation of the plates when you’re there - it’s mostly just a really cool rocky area with cliffs and lakes. I guess this is the edge of one of the plates (at least according to my guide). Makes sense, it looks like the ground just separated and sunk down. Here is me standing near that rock face.

Glad you liked them!

I liked the pics as well. Thanks for sharing!

I remember one spot that actually is quite a narrow chasm between lowish cliffs that does give you a sense of being right in the rift between plates.

I’ve traveled to Iceland several times, and I think I stood in the exact same spot as Colophon for a photo. I should look for it.

The first trip there was about a month after the Gorbachev-Reagan summit, so about 25 years ago. I remember seeing scarves with their faces knitted into the pattern. Why did I not buy one? Kicking myself today.

I love exploring Reykjavik, but I find my “favorite” places change with each trip. The area around Akureyri in the north is fascinating, like Lake Myvatn, Reykjahlid and Godafoss waterfall. Seen once in March and once in August, the weather made a very big difference in the two experiences.

Another time, we explored a Viking movie set (can’t remember the name of the movie) just before it was to be torn down, outside the village of Grindavik on the Southern coast. Rocky terrain, crashing waves, screaming birds and a representation of early settlement life really gave us a sense of the country.

I love Iceland. Now I need to go back and see Snaefellsjokull. And Hofn. And Vik.

I spent ten days in Iceland in 1999. I was working for a video-based, distance-learning science program for middle school students. We shot video of many of the places already mentioned: Reykjavik, Gulfoss, Geysir, Pingveller, Blue Lagoon, Lake Myvatn, Akureyri, etc.
I really enjoyed the trip and would love to go back someday. It really doesn’t look like any other place you’ve probably seen. The landscape is so strange and interesting.
I always have to tell this story whenever the subject of Iceland comes up:
I’m from Alabama and the program I was working for was based at The University of Alabama. In Reykjavik we were walking past a bar and the band inside was playing “Sweet Home Alabama.”:slight_smile:

Back about 10 years ago, in my party days, flights to Iceland were cheap and frankly, those people like to party and the clubs scene was awesome. The scenery is OK. That was 10 years ago, so I don’t know if it’s changed, but the people are nice and the party scene was great. Had a blast.

Wouldn’t go again, as I’m too old for that much fun now…LOL

Just got back from Iceland two weeks ago. Can’t recommend it highly enough if you like wild, unspoiled nature and dramatic landscapes. If you’re more into cities (especially ones with old architecture), you’ll be disappointed, as that is what Iceland is lacking. I’m definitely planning on going back some time to see even more of the dramatic countryside and to get a chance to ride an Icelandic horse.