Anyone else like to listen to "stardust" type music?

There’s a radio station I listen to occasianally that plays "stardust "type music. What I mean by that is this station plays a lot of Perry Como, Frank Sinatra, Ann Murrey, Dean Martin, Barry Manilow and others. They also play BigBand type stuff, folk music, and pop songs from the '50s, '60s, and '70s.

Anybody else listen to this stuff? The reason I started listening is because in my area, there are very few good radio stations. I started listening to this stuff, and at first I thought it was kind of nerdy, but soon I came to like it.

You mean easy listening.

I like the old kind of crooners, song writers and big band-think Glenn Miller, Cole Porter, Gershwin and Nat King Cole.
And Stardust is one of my favorite songs. I like Glenn Miller’s version best.

LOVE Glenn Miller.

and here I thought this was going to be ZIggy Stardust kinda music. Sorry to say I am way off base.

The classification “easy listening” too often consists of Shania Twain and BackStreet Boys, in my opinion. But I know just what you mean - jazz, pop standards, swing, and good old fashioned lounge music. I love it.

Hermann, you may want to look for CDs by Diana Krall or Harry Connick, Jr. Same sort of music (in fact, often the same songs) but a bit updated. You’ll find them filed under easy listening or jazz.

Occasionally.
I think Nat King Cole is great. He has a wonderful, velvety baritone voice.

Love it.

There are two stations in Los Angeles that play the “good” stuff, both AM, unfortunately.

One of them recently changed format by playing one week of Sinatra - commercial free - great stunt!

And, as I’ve stated in a previous post, I feel that Nat King Cole had the finest male singing voice of the 20th century, IMHO, of course.

Yep.
I’m right there with ya Rico.

I love Bing Crosby, who also recorded a earlier version of “Stardust” than Nat King Cole’s or Glen Miller’s.

Oh yeah, baby! I found an appreciation for it about 12 months ago, and I love it. Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby are my favourites.

Yes, big fan here. The level of musicianship in this type of music is far higher than any popular music since rock ‘n’ roll took over the airwaves.

I base my life on Dean Martin’s example.

Count Basie is one of my favorites.

Hell, I even listen to Tony Bennett every now and then.

There are a bunch of singers that do justice to the American songbook. You should pick up Ella Fitzgerald’s “Best of the Songbooks” and you’ll get a great representation of the series (which you could get for about $200 last time I checked).

Okay, everybody hang on.

Count Basie is NOT “easy listening.” His 1930s band exemplified the hard-swinging Kansas City blues style that cradled Charlie Parker and led directly (through '40s style R&B) to rock and roll.

You don’t believe it, listen to the landmark late-‘30s Decca recordings. Or especially Count Basie, Lester Young and the Stars of Birdland Live at the Municipal Auditorium, Topeka Kansas, February 1955 (Jass Records, J-CD-17). "Jumpin’ at the Woodside" ROCKS. And when Joe Williams steps up to the microphone and they swing into “Every Day I Have the Blues,” they rock HARDER.

Please do not conflate jazz artists with “easy listening” people…Ray Anthony. Any of that “Music for Lovers” Jackie Gleason stuff. Ray Conniff. Hugo Winterhalter.

Nat King Cole with strings is “easy listening.” Nat King Cole with his trio in the 1940s is jazz. Nat King Cole with Lester Young and Buddy Rich is jazz. Nat King Cole singing “Route 66” with Harry “Sweets” Edison backing him on trumpet is jazz.

Mel Torme with strings is “easy listening.” Mel Torme with the Marty Paitch Dek-tette is jazz.

Early Bing Crosby is jazz. Late Bing Crosby is “easy listening.”

I think it’s a matter of intent. Fred Astaire, to my mind, was one of the great popular singers…Irving Berlin said he always imagined Fred singing his tunes as he was composing. But when Fred sat down with Barney Kessel and Flip Phillips and Oscar Peterson in the early '50s and made The Fred Astaire Story, he turned his brilliant sense of timing and rhythm to something different that just making pretty records. He was making JAZZ.

I was wondering when you were going to show up…

I recently was reading the liner notes to “Lady In Satin” and it mentioned how Billie Holiday wanted to do an album with a string session and that got me thinking about how LOTS of jazz singers started adding string arrangements to their albums during the mid- to late-1950s. I wonder what the impetus was (besides increasing record sales)? Why did adding a string section all of a sudden give jazz sessions an air of respectability?

And I’ve said this before - when I think of der Bingle, I don’t think of singing (except for White Christmas). I know I’m being short-sighted, and that his crooning style really changed how popular music was presented, but he’ll always be an actor and orange juice pitchman to me.

Mmmm, this is my absolute favorite stuff! Well, not so much Barry Manilow or Anne Murray–I prefer the pre-50s stuff unless it’s a good remake like Natalie Cole or Linda Ronstadt have done. I consider my Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong CDs comfort music.

Not just the singers, either…Charlie Parker did a very good album with strings (arranged by Mitch Miller…snicker…who also sat in on oboe). So did Lee Konitz, Stan Getz, even Cannonball Adderley.

I always thought these guys had a hankerin’ to be taken seriously by the assholes in university music departments, but I was just talking to TubaDiva, who’s of the opinion that they wanted to up their sales, and figured going after a middlebrow audience was the way to go.

For a great overview of American popular song, I recommend the well-titled Smithsonian anthology American Popular Song…a 5-disc set with everyone from Teresa Brewer and Al Jolson to Barbra. And some mighty fine early Bing, including the great recording of “Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?”

I’m surprised nobody else has mentioned her yet but you might also want to give a listen to Norah Jones.

Hell, yes. I would rather listen to the Big Bands and the jazz artists of the '30’s, '40’s, and '50’s than about any other type of music. Wonderful stuff, especially the Duke, the Dorsey Bros., Glen Miller, Benny Goodman, the Count, Billie and Lester, Dizzy Gillespie, Bird, early Trane, Miles Davis, Satchmo (especially with Jack Teagarden on the trombone), Louis Jordan, Paul Desmond & Dave Brubeck, Lambert, Hendricks & Ross, Harry “Sweets” Edison.

What a wonderful era for music.

The format that the OP is referring to is called “Music of Your Life.” They play both the fluff and the actual good stuff from the past 60 years, and I loved it until the Chicago-area “music of your life” station (WAIT) went to conservative talk.

Suck. No more “April in Paris,” followed by “The Coffee Song,” follwed by “Gentle on My Mind,” followed by an instrumental million-string version of “Mull of Kintyre.”

I only say “easy listening”, is that the easy listening stations are often the only ones who will play this kind of music. Seems a shame, really.