Anyone else seriously considering leaving?

Funny - as I sit here at my desk, I have my work laptop open operating Windows, with my home desktop Mac behind it. I barely perceive any difference doing the limited things I do on one or the other. I guess I have an underlying preference for Windows, as it is what I’ve been required to use for work for 30+ years. Also, I never found the supposedly “intuitive” aspects of Mac to be so for me.

Well, aren’t you special!

It’s ok. I will miss having 50 replies per page simply because my brain keeps track of approximately where someone said something. I’ll just have to get used to the scrollbar and adjust from “2 pages ago” to “half an inch ago” (or whatever sized space it ends up being).

I just noticed that mouse over previews (of thread titles) are active again. That was my only concern when the new system rolled out. Glad that it’s back in!

You can’t upload image files but it seems an image file available as a URL can be linked and will be displayed. I do not know if GIF animations will be shown.

Pros: The website is faster, has some neat tricks and aids to it.

Cons: It’s a real eyesore. On the old Dope, threads were neatly lined up top to bottom and you scrolled easily and you could navigate everything as an absolute piece of cake. Threads with new replies were instantly bolded and visible.

Everything seems all good to me.

That baby doesn’t look happy to be disturbed. :heart_eyes:

None of those work on a phone or tablet, except scrolling.

On mobile, you can click on the box that has the current post number / posts. This will give you options to move about the thread.

It’s taking me a good bit more than 10 minutes, and I still can’t figure out how to do some things (such as delete notifications.)

This is not due to an unwillingness to learn anything new. I find some of the new stuff on this board an improvement. But what is “intuitively” obvious to some people is often not obvious at all to others; and that doesn’t have anything to do with age.

Click on your avatar at the top right, then on your username. Choose “Preferences.” At the left, you should see “Notifications.” That should let you set them the way you want.

You’d think so, wouldn’t you? And in fact I got that far with no trouble at all, and on my own. But I can’t find any way to select an individual notification for deletion; and, while there is a “delete all” button, it’s greyed out, and doesn’t work.

ETA: And I could swear I’d given up and turned them off altogether; but I’m still getting them.

ETA again: I just went back there, and aha! the “dismiss all” button wasn’t greyed! but clicking it just turned it grey again – and then I realized the hover says that button just marks them as read. I don’t just want to mark them as read, I want to get rid of them, at this rate I’m going to accumulate thousands of the things every year!

It looks like maybe you skipped the “Choose Preferences” step I mentioned above. You should choose Preferences at the top of the page, and then you will see Notifications at the left. (Not Notifications at the top.) There will then be a button in the center that lets you turn them off.

@Dinsdale, I hope you remember this post where I was among the many who encouraged you to stick with it and stay with us, and I’m glad to hear that you’re getting used to the site and hopefully sticking around (and that you got your correct name back!). :slight_smile:

My comment about “whining about lack of pagination and infinite-scroll” was not directed at you at all, but was a response to someone who seems to represent the majority here who don’t like it. I was just pointing out that in my view, the continuous-scroll is actually easier, not harder, to navigate than the pagination we were used to, and that pagination is really just an arbitrary artifact of one approach to UI design.

True, and it’s my fault that my point was not well stated. I was just saying that there is a lot of flexibility in how to navigate long threads, but it’s really the first point and the last that are really important; the second and third, which apply only to keyboard-controlled devices, are much less important. The real point is that the slider on the scroll bar lets you navigate quickly to a general chronological area of a long thread, while the usual scrolling method that we used to use within a page can be used to zero in on a specific post. If you recall the VBulletin design, on a very long thread there were so many pages that not all the page numbers could be listed at any one time, and you had to do an awful lot of clicking to get to the middle of a long thread to find a particular section of a discussion. I really do think the continuous-scroll paradigm is more natural, though I seem to be in a minority.

I’m not setting myself up as a defender of this site design by any means, particularly since I still haven’t figured out even a fraction of its features, and there are some features that I don’t particularly like. But the continuous-scroll is not one of them. I just wish we didn’t have the 10,000-post limit which seems very artificial and quite contrary to the site’s stated design goal of being built for “the internet of the next 10 years”.

No I didn’t skip it, yes that’s what I did, I’ve turned them off IN PREFERENCES twice, doublechecking the second time that I clicked to save changes, and I am STILL GETTING THEM.

The button to dismiss is not in preferences, it’s in notifications, and no the button DOES NOT let you get rid of them. It says itself, if you hover, that all it does is mark them read.

I don’t want to just mark them read. I want to delete them.

And if I can’t delete them I want to stop getting them, because I’ll wind up with thousands of them. But if I could delete them then I would want to get them.

And over in this thread Possibility of turning off notifications of Awards? - #8 by thorny_locust
I’m being told that there’s no way whatsoever of getting rid of them.

wolfpup - we’re fine.

I was just getting at one thing that often bugs me. I get a new phone and say, “How do I make a phone call.” And the salesperson starts listing 20 different ways to do it. I really don’t care which of the 20 ways work for making a call. Just tell me one, and I’ll make that my default and never look for another way.

I’ve said this sort of thing often - developers seem to design things to favor infinite customization by folk who enjoy such things. In doing so, they often obscure some of the most basic functions used by the least sophisticated users.

But you and me - we’re good.

Right now I’m using the theme “minima” with the font size bumped up 1 for the old. It’s not too bad.

Deleting notifications: I started a thread yesterday with this very question. GreysonCarlisle says that as far as he knows, notifications are forever. There’s no way to delete them.

Geez, this database is going to get so overloaded just with notifications, it’s going to end up crashing just like the old board!

And I’ve now also turned them off in my browser; and I am still getting them. At least turning them off in the browser makes them silent.

I’m being told over in the other thread that they can’t be turned off. That is extremely annoying. I suppose I’ll learn to ignore them unless I’m waiting specifically for somebody to answer me.

I have at any rate figured out a rough equivalent of “new posts” complete with identifying the threads I’ve posted in: 1) set the page to “latest” posts and 2) set everything I’ve posted in to “tracking” (which can be done in preferences/notifications, so it’s not necessary to remember it every time), and don’t set anything else to “tracking”. That way a thread I’ve posted in will show up with the number of new posts (if any), and a thread I haven’t posted in won’t have the number.

Doesn’t help if I want to know at first glance whether I posted in a thread with no new posts; but that’s less likely to matter to me, anyway.