Anyone ever fly in a small plane? What should I expect?

I understand the humor of sending a sap off to find a spool of shore line, but padeyes have me confused since they’re real things that you can go out and buy.

If it were colder, I’d say it was time to put another server log on the fire.

It will fly like a regular airliner except for takeoff where you will be pressed into your seat on roll-out. Turbulence is felt more at low level cruise and you will be climbing comfortably at 3500 ft/min or better. In less then 10 minutes you will be at 35,000 ft drinking Champaign.

You’ll love it. I’m jealous. And I calculated fuel burn as follows:

1660 lbs/hr at cruise divided by 6.84 per gallon (242 gph) times $2.80 gallon for a total of $679 per hour. Climbout will have a slightly higher fuel burn.

I learned to fly in a Cessna 150. Two seats. Weighs less fully loaded than just the fuel in the Citation. So to me that isn’t a small plane. (I say that about those 50 passenger commuter jets. This isn’t a small plane!)

Anyhow, a CX will probably fly above turbulence.

and put me in jealous camp.

Brian

The Citation X has only been around a few years, and is the latest incarnation of the venerable Citation line.

The thing that sets it apart from other bizjets is the OMG! engines.

That thing is nothing but motor - huge honkin’ engines on a normal sized airframe. Think about dropping a classic GM V-8 smallblock into a honda Civic and you are on the right track. The thing is F-A-S-T.

It also has all of the newest bells and whistles up front - all-glass cockpit, GPS, FMS, TCAS, etc.

Your trip from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon shouldn’t take more than 20-30 minutes, depending on routing. The biggest delay will be getting out of the Phoenix airspace.

Unfortunately with such a short flight you won’t get to see the Citation X’s true performance. You’ll probably only get to 30,000 feet or so (if that - maybe only the mid-20s). It isn’t until you get higher that you see the CX start to run away from other aircraft as it cruises at Mach .9 (or 90% of the speed of sound). Most airliners cruise at anywhere from Mach .74 to Mach .84.

But be sure to enjoy the ride! You might encounter some turbulence, mostly due to “thermals”. In the summer in the desert it’s almost impossible to find smooth air. You’ll be lounging in luxury in the back, so sit back end enjoy the great deal that you are getting.

I have to ask, as someone else did, about your friend owning the airplane. I’m a former Air Force pilot, and I know how much we make. Your friend must have started small years ago and continually traded up while making money as a charter guy to be able to afford a CX, because there is no way he is paying for it on an Air Force retirement!

One clarification about the turbulence - it’s down low that the thermals come into play. So expect a bumpy ride during the climb and a bumpy approach into the Grand Canyon airport. Nothing to worry about. Most of the flight should be smooth.

[QUOTE=Phlosphr]
I can verify the interior is very nice. Leather et al. I’m getting excited… So turbulance is the same then?
QUOTE]

I have found turbulence to be more noticable in smaller planes than larger ones.

according to http://www.airnav.com/airport/KPHX Cutter Aviation was selling Jet-A at 4.01 / gallon on June 29.

Brian

I’m almost a 100% sure he is partnered with at least one maybe two other guys here in town. They’ve got their hands in a lot around town. You must know the investor market for real estate is astronomical.

Yes, that would explain the house rash I saw last time I was over Phoenix. I expect it’s only gotten worse since then.

Lucky duck - although put me in the “Citation is not a small airplane” camp, too.