Anyone familar with Montana?

“I was also kind of interested in going to a reservation and working with a more diverse population.”

The reservations don’t have a diverse population - they’re Indian. If you are looking at emergency medicine they are a good place to learn.

“Butte, eh? Good grief! Halfway is 200 miles!”

200 miles is nothing in Montana. I drive 850 miles round trip just to visit my mom.

“I’m pretty much expecting rural and I had suspected that internet and cell phones may not even be available.”

We’re not that rural. Check out Verizion wireless for a map of coverage for cell phones. It’s pretty much everywhere except for some mountain valleys and the eastern part of the state where there are no people. And we have plenty of video rental places in most every town. Many towns now have wireless cafes. And I’m typing this sitting on my couch with wireless DSL.

“I could request Billings,”

Don’t. Billings is about 45 minutes from Montana.

Here’s a tip. Draw a line from Red Lodge to Browning. Find somewhere on the west side of that line and go there. Pick a smaller town if you can - it’s better living. Missoula and Bozeman are very expensive (in Montana terms).

When you get it a little narrowed down, post here or email me at the address in my profile. I grew up in Montana, have lived in Glendive, Miles City, Billings, Missoula and Helena. I’ve go everywhere in Montana - my job covers the entire state. I fish, hike, run, float rivers, sail and snowshoe. I can tell you where to drink, eat, fish and stay for just about every town in Montana.

Whistlepig

The Ruby Valley (which is where Sheridan is) doesn’t have Verizon coverage. Sometimes, once in a while, if you hop 3 times on your left foot after climbing a hill, during a full moon, with a bigass antenna, you can get a signal. Dillon is pretty good (I think they have a Cellular One tower, but Verizon works there), as is Whitehall, but for Madison County it’s 3 Rivers and 3 Rivers only, no roaming allowed. And 3 Rivers dial-up (or the DirectTV satellite ISP thingy) internet.

You grew up here. It isn’t that rural to us because we’re used to it, and we remember how different it was even 5 or 10 years ago. The OP is from Delaware. He (she?) is not going to be impressed with Cathy & Rick’s amazing selection of a couple dozen VHS movies. Or that the grocery stores in most of the tiny towns have less in stock than a big city 7-11. He is going to be very confused when he realizes that Butte is one of the bigger towns in the state – and has less than 30,000 people living here. Or that Helena and Missoula and Billing are actually considered big cities.

I absolutely loved living in Twin Bridges, but there will be culture shock for someone who is not really aware of just how very (comparatively) rural much of the Rocky Mountain west really is. It’s not like the middle of the Gobi, but it might seem so if one is used to the East coast, and is not aware of some of the little things.

You were too polite to say it outloud (I’m not), but east of line you want the OP to draw is called “West Dakota.” :smiley:

Just for the record, I like Billings. It has a Del Taco!

I suppose I was mentally preparing for the worst case situation. My mother’s family is from rural Illinois, and my cell phone has never worked down there. Of course, my cell doesn’t work in most major cities either - assuming that it won’t work in rural Montana seemed pretty reasonable. As for internet - this isn’t a paying job and the financial aid situation isn’t looking promising, so I might just go without tv/internet. It probably won’t kill me.

‘Diverse’ was probably the wrong word. hmm…I guess I’m just trying to live somewhere and meet people I wouldn’t otherwise meet where I am (large teritary medical center in a big city). The chance to work with a Native population isn’t something you can do just anywhere. I’m probably not expressing this very well. Thank you for the kind offer though. Once the program director gets back to me, I may very well take you up on that.

MadPansy64 - Thank you for the encouragement. I’m less worried about the culture shock than not knowing anyone. I’m afraid I don’t have a name for the doctor - the site description just had a little footnote. I think you’ve convinced me to stock up on dried food goods before I leave though - it honestly didn’t occur to me that this is beef country before you brought it up.

The Republican thing is okay - I’m a moderate liberal, but my best friend and a big chunk of my family isn’t. I’m used to being outnumbered. :slight_smile: Just for the record, I am a “she.” :cool:

Xema Thank you so much for the suggestions! I got bad news about financial aid, but good news about the hours. I will definately check these places out.

I grew up in West Dakota and if you call it that to my face I’ll kick your ass. :stuck_out_tongue: Seriously, eastern Montana is (culturally) what Montana used to be.

Everything else you said is true, though.

Whistlepig

"I suppose I was mentally preparing for the worst case situation. My mother’s family is from rural Illinois, and my cell phone has never worked down there. Of course, my cell doesn’t work in most major cities either - assuming that it won’t work in rural Montana seemed pretty reasonable. "

Yes, but it will. Naysayers aside, you can get cell coverage in most of Montana. And if it suck in your town, just drive up on a hill. There are worst things in life than not have 24/7 phone access.

"As for internet - this isn’t a paying job and the financial aid situation isn’t looking promising, so I might just go without tv/internet. It probably won’t kill me.

You’ll be OK. Bring a laptop. If your town doesn’t have a public wireless hotspot you can always wardrive to find one. Or you will meet people who have internet access (all the public libraries in Montana have free computers you can use.) And personally, I only watch TV in the winter.

Don’t worry about the tech stuff. It works out here.

“‘Diverse’ was probably the wrong word. hmm…I guess I’m just trying to live somewhere and meet people I wouldn’t otherwise meet where I am (large teritary medical center in a big city).”

Anywhere in Montana will probably meet that criteria, if you are from a big city.

“I’m less worried about the culture shock than not knowing anyone.”

That is always difficult. But if you are a decent human being and open to adventure you will fast find that your Montana workmates will invite you to do a whole lot of stuff. We’re a friendly people.

Let me know if I can help more.

whistlepig

Don’t worry at all about not knowing anyone. We’re very friendly. It’s extra shiny here because we aren’t pushy about it, but it is easy to make friends if you want to.We do have non-meat food – lots and lots of it. You will just pay through the nose for asparagus in December, and the selection of FRESH produce is never spectacular. Finding 47 tons of broccoli isn’t a problem, but finding a perfect strawberry is.

I’m really hoping you’ll pick Dillon or Butte. Montana is a wonderful place to live, if you are prepared for the little differences.