Anyone want to take a shot at what's wrong with my car?

SWAG:

1. Starter solenoid

2. Ignition swtich

Blunt, what happens when you turn the key? Does the engine crank but not turn over? When was the last time you had a tune up? How long has this problem been going on? Any other symptoms? (Sluggish when accelerating, noises, etc)

It might be your fuel injectors which would really suck as that isn’t a cheap fix.

I’m with Tuckerfan and Archergal – make sure your shift lever is firmly in Park (auto) or Neutral (standard) every time you start your car.

I once was completely embarrased because I called AAA with the same problem, and the tow operator hopped in the driver’s seat, pushed on the auto shift lever, and then started it up like nothing was wrong…

because nothing was.

I’ll never forget that night!

Your car requires immediate shore leave on the planet Nissa.

See, Nissans have this cycle they go through once every nine years, and they must return to their homeworld to find a mate (or, if they already have one, to, erm, mate with their mate). If they don’t, then their starting mechanisms go all wonky and become unreliable. Eventually, if the mating urge is not satified, the starter will fall apart completely and the car will die.

It isn’t something Nissans like to talk about with other cars. They like to maintain this image of being a reliable, smooth-starting vehicle, and they regard the Ponn Kharr cycle as something of an embarrassment.