Anyone watch the Chicago Code?

Hmmm… episode two said it was directed by Clark Johnson! No wonder this show reminds me of Homicide: Life on the Street.

I’m surprised that no one was annoyed that they worked the “Chicago-ness” of the show way too hard, like the way that every movie about the 80’s has to take a swipe at all the 80’s tropes. Shows in L.A. or New York don’t feel the need to go out of their way to establish their bona fides. Hell, in Justified the Harlan County setting is important to the story, but they trust the viewers to get it with just the occasional mention.

I’m not complaining, per se. I watched it because I’m always interested to see a show or movie set in Chicago. But from my own observations, I want to suggest that the insistent hammering-in of the Chicago-ness is actually the most authentically Chicago thing about the show. They really got that right. There is a peculiar character to Chicago pride that is pathological.

I think it was Studs Terkel who noted that Chicago once promoted itself as a “world-class city.” Well, whatever “world-class” means, I don’t doubt Chicago qualifies, but his point was that most “world-class” cities don’t feel the need to tell people how “world-class” they are. It’s a town that embraced the title of “Second City” with contempt for other towns that believed that pride meant insisting that you were #1. Pride in Chicago is strengthened, it seems, rather than diminished by its strange insecurities.

One of the results of this seems to be that Chicagoans have a pavlovian response to any pandering to them, especially with stuff peculiar to the town. I hardly think I’m alone in wanting a show set in Chicago to have street scenes with cobble stones showing through broken asphalt, Old Style signs, arguments about Itallian Beef hot-dipped or dry, and somebody should get called a “jaggoff”. A Chicago show for Chicagoans does overdo the references to provincial cultural touchstones, but that’s what makes it genuine.

You got it, Johnny. They don’t call us the Windy City for nothin’!

But…jagoff is Chicago-ese? I did not know that.

I think it was in Mike Nelson’s Movie Megacheese, that Mike reviewed Sleepless in Seattle, and said that the main character moves from Chicago to Seattle “to get a fresh start, and to get away from all those Chicago-ites who can’t stop telling you how great Chicago is.”

Mike, Mike, how wrong you are. It’s Chicagoans, not Chicago-ites. Gah!

I’ve heard Jagoff outside of Chicago. Like, downstate. Can’t say that I’ve heard it out of state.

But you reminded me of a cute touch from *Chicago Code *- the made-up term “Jag-Hole.” At least, that’s what I think they were saying. So far, I’ve heard two characters use it. It reminded me of the MST3K (speaking of Mike Nelson) term, “dick-weed” which I’ve never heard elsewhere. Or R. Lee Ermy’s “Jack Wagon!!” Or BSG’s “Frak!”

From the couple of minutes I watched, I’d have to agree with you. I only watched a couple of minutes because it was boring me so badly - I’m not sure if that’s a fair trial, but it REALLY bored me.

So, jagoff and asshole will be bleeped, but jaghole will not? Oooookay. I love the logic.

I’ve actually heard dickweed elsewhere than MST3K. I think it was around in high school in the 70’s.

Did dickweed evolve into dillhole on Beavis and Butthead? I’ve always suspected that, since dickweed into dillweed would actually refer to an inoffensive spice.

This is a most interesting liguistic subject worthy of its own thread.

I like it. I think it’s one of the best new shows out. I was mildly thrown by the narrations from different POVs, but I’m not totally against it.

The part where they interrupt the one guy’s narration in order to kill him was done for surprise. It’s the idea that they make it look like the character is going to be around, then suddenly off him. It was pretty original when MI-5 (British spy show) did it. Was less so here.

I was a little thrown by how many clothing changes the Superintendent had. It seems like she swapped from dress uniform to civvies 3 or 4 times in one day that first episode.

It does have the standard TV problem of people carrying on supposedly private conversations while in crowds or otherwise surrounded by people. I mean, do you really want your detective yelling out walking through the squad room “hey if we find the shooter, we can connect him to Alderman ___, and then we can bust him”? Seems to me you’d want to keep that a little more on the lowdown till you get actual evidence, y’know?

I also thought that was a pretty crafty manipulation on the part of the Alderman to simultaneously attack the Superindendent’s reputation and set himself up to be the good guy, and make her come to him for help. Just the kind of dick move you’d expect from a power player like him.

I like it more than I thought I would. Cop shows usually don’t do much for me. I watched mostly to throw my support behind having a TV show actually film in Chicago, plus I know a few people who are in it. But I’m digging it, finding myself pulled in. I’m interested to see where it goes from here.

OK, I’ve just seen the third episode of the bear-poking adventures of Wysocki and Colvin. I’m learning to find humor in the way they help create their own misfortune.

But at least at the end of this ep they had reason to think they may be able to roll with the punches.

Ok, well, as nice as it is to see real Chicago neighborhoods (as long as they are within a block from a El track), the “{something} W. Harlem” address took me right out of the episode. No wonder the backup didn’t arrive. Also, I’ve noticed that if you are downtown, the Wrigley Building is visible behind you no matter where you are (exception: unless you are on a street with a El track).

Silverfuck by The Smashing Pumpkins coming out nowhere in the gunfight was a treat too.

Yeah, the West Harlem line threw me, too. I thought I was back in the Father Dowling Mysteries, where you had to meet up with Father Tom Bosley at the corner of Clark and Dearborn!

Other than that tiny transgression, I’m still loving the show. And I’m really appreciating Jennifer Beal’s subtle Chicago accent.

A good episode. I think they were smart to strengthen the character of Gibbons.

Can anyone explain the logic of the IMDB cast listing for this show? They have the cast as Matt Lauria, Jason Clarke, and Jennifer Beals. Clarke and Beals have larger roles than Lauria and alphabetically they’d be ahead of him. I hope they’re not planning to push Lauria into the lead.

And Delroy Lindo, who’s a major cast member, is listed in 36th place on the cast list (following characters like “Nurse” and “Chinatown Pedestrian”).

Lauria is listed third in the on-screen credits (after Clarke and Beals, in that order), and Delroy is listed dead last, with the honorific “and Delroy Lindo” to show that he’s something special. Maybe that has something to do with IMDb pushing him further down the list?

Don’t have an explanation for Matt Lauria being at the top, but the IMDB list has Delroy Lindo as appearing in 3 episodes, whereas the other stars are listed in 14 (must be what’s currently filmed). If so, we apparently have seen all of Delroy Lindo’s appearances for a while.

But that also apparently applies to Wysocki’s neice (Devin Kelley) and the undercover guy (Billy Lush), which makes no sense given their prominence in the on screen cast list.

Call me perplexed.

Also Vonda’s partner, Isaac (Todd Williams).

So it appears fourteen episodes have been filmed and three have been broadcast. For some reason, the three top stars (Beals, Clarke, and Lauria) are credited for appearing in all fourteen episodes while the second tier (Kelley, Lindo, Lush, and Williams) are only credited for appearing in the episodes that have been broadcast. And the other people are apparently guest stars who are being credited with whatever their appearances will be when the full season is broadcast.

That would explain it, and make more sense than those main credit stars are not in any of the other episodes. Still perplexing.

I wouldn’t read too much into it. IMDb is a work in progress. I noticed last week that Lauria was only credited with three episodes, and I thought, uh oh, he’s gonna get killed next week! But now he’s up to fourteen as well.

This show is getting better and better. Wysocki is just plain out of control, yet still gets the job done. And Beals is tough as nails, but still gets in the proper amount of sarcastic banter when appropriate. And Delroy Lindo’s character gets more complex and amazing with every episode.

I think this show has knocked “Crime Story” from its long-time perch as my favorite Chicago-based cop drama.

However, one quibble: they need to get a local geographic consultant (pick me! pick me!!). Along with last week’s “West Harlem Avenue” gaff, this week featured a Karaoke bar at “623 East Jackson.” By my figuring, that would put it in the middle of Grant Park!

You know that the fake addresses have got to be intentional, right?

I’m still in the “like it” stage. I’m watching it every week but there hasn’t been a moment yet when I feel it has been great. That’s not a shot - there are lots of enjoyable series that are good for years without ever rising to greatness. And this show gives me the feeling that greatness may be possible.