[QUOTE=Sunspace]
Great Scott! It’s… it’s… a backwards raised comma!
Time to call in Editrix. She’ll whip them into shape.
[/QUOTE]
I see this more and more, in more and more “official,” professional publications. One more thing we can blame on Bill Gates. Him, plus a healthy dose of ignorance, since the workaround is so mindlessly easy.
[QUOTE=Spoons]
Of course, if we do have a comic, it’s important that our heroes never get dates with Noun girls. But the Verb girls will always be happy to date our heroes.
Why? Well, verbs conjugate. Nouns decline.
[/QUOTE]
I’d say you’re right justified in making that decision. Those noun girls just hate being reminded that they’re just subjects.
Indeed. If left untreated it may require medical attention and possibly partial removal. Then all you’re left with is a semicolon.
[QUOTE=Mindfield]
I’d say you’re right justified in making that decision. Those noun girls just hate being reminded that they’re just subjects.
[/QUOTE]
And you know how they object to that.
[QUOTE=Mindfield]
Indeed. If left untreated it may require medical attention and possibly partial removal. Then all you’re left with is a semicolon.
[/QUOTE]
It could be worse. It could be colon cancer.
Many years ago while visiting parents (suburban D.C.) I passed by a strip mall that was home to an establishment whose bright sign read “Physic Reading” and erupted into laughter. I agree, we can chalk it up to laziness. Occasional errors or poor typing ability are one thing; not bothering to learn about the very easy rules of punctuation is something else. Every year I notice a significant declination in my students’ abilities in the realm of basic abilities. (e.g. reading, writing, simple arithmetic) I wonder that they have the ability to develop better computer skills than I have but they can’t construct a simple sentence. Eventually they won’t be able to do anything- but damnit, none of these kids will be left behind! (They’ll all be together in the same sub-standard place…)
[QUOTE=Spoons]
We did have some fun with that, didn’t we?
“Conan, what happened to the Infinitive?”
“He had to split.”
Sunspace, I think we’ve found a new villain!
To add to the thread, I’ll mention what I once saw in a neighbourhood barber shop:
“Ladie’s Hair Cut.”
I cringed.
[/QUOTE]
Years ago I was the editor of a small-town weekly newspaper. My replacement–a journalism major–came up with the following in a headline (a headline!) a couple weeks after my departure:
There’s a commercial for the super-powered Nitro or something where the power-car gives the jalopy a jump in the stripmall parking lot and sends it rocketing skyward.
But in the background is a store sign that says
BEACHS
Now, shouldn’t that be BEACHES or BEACH’S or even BEACHS’ ?
[QUOTE=Beware of Doug]
Years ago in Des Moines I used to pass by THE JOHN ROBERT’S STUDIO.
I never did find out whether his name was John Roberts, John Robert, or possibly The John Robert.
[/QUOTE]
Theodore Johnathon Robert. Whats’ the problem?
Seriously, people, stop ragging on apostrophe abuse. It make’s you look like a cun’t.
At my daughter’s dance studio they have compartments for leaving correspondence, labeled with the family names: The Smith’s, The Johnson’s, The Brown’s, etc.
This Christmas Eve, I spotted under a friend’s tree several presents wrapped in paper emblazoned with children frollicking in the snow and the phrase “Lot’s of Snow Fun!”
I’m beginning to think that we’re losing the war against apostrophe abuse and it fills my heart with woe.