Apparently North Dakota is the place to be.

That was a bizarre winter, as I recall. It was just bitterly cold all across the northern tier. The day before we left MN heading west, it was about 25F and I got the car washed. That night the temps dropped to -35F in northern MN and the doors all froze shut. I finally got the driver’s door open, then had to use my feet to simultaneously hold the passenger latch and kick the door open. When I popped the engine hood to check the oil, the latch cable froze. I can only compare it to the winters I spent in Fairbanks, where it hit -63F. Weird things happen at those extremes.

Climate Norms (1971-2000), courtesy of the National Weather Service and Environment Canada:

Bismark
December Min 4.8 Max 25.7
January Min -0.6 Max 21.1
February Min 7.8 Max 28.5
March Min 19.1 Max 40.2

Saskatoon
December Min -19.3 Max -9.2
January Min -22.3 Max -11.8
February Min -18.2 Max -7.8
March Min -10.9 Max -0.7

Holy crap, it’s practically tropical in Bismark!!! 40 degrees in March, and barely below zero in January?!?

Unit conversion? What’s that? I don’t need no stinking unit conversion!

Okay, okay.
Bismark in Celcius, eyeballing off a dual scale thermometer for conversion because I’m too lazy to do math.
December Min -15 Max -3
January Min -18 Max -6
February Min -13 Max -2
March Min -7 Max 5

Bit bigger difference than I expected, actually.

The eastern part of the state, especially the northeastern corner (up around Grand Forks) tends to trend a little colder than the central and western parts of the state, for some reason (on those color coded temperature maps, Grand Forks was always in a bullseye of extra cold blue or purple.

It still doesn’t get Canada cold, but it’s the coldest part of the continental US. It’s not just the ambient temps either, it’s the wind. The land is very flat and desolate around there, and you get Alberta Clippers coming down with nothing to break up the wind, so you routinely get wind chills of -40 or lower, I’ve experienced wind chills as low as -80 and even -100 a couple of times. The wind and blowing snow wreaks a lot of havoc that cold alone won’t do, and it plays hell with visibility too. There’s nothing scarier than trying to drive in a complete whiteout. Even pulling over to the side of the road is hard when you can’t see where the side of the road is. It’s like driving in a field of pure white. Scary as hell. Even on foot, you can become completely disoriented during a whitout. Stories about people getting lost and freezing to death in rural areas after not being able to find their way back to the house from even a few dozen yards away during a blizzard were not uncommon.

You’re gonna piss off the people from International Falls, MN with that kinda talk, eh.

well, Dave Barry sort of enjoyed a few hours in North Dakota once

So:

Low Crime = +
Extreme Right Wing Culture = +
Boring (read: quiet) = +

Meth Labs = -
Low Pay = -
I’ve still got one plus left over after some very careful calculations on my abbacus. North Dakota here I come!

Are any US states in winter comparable to, say, parts of Siberia in winter?

I’m an American from the Deep South, currently living in what, to me, is unbearably cold NYC winter, which averages about 10-30 degrees F in the winter. I’m not sure I can actually comprehend anything much colder than that; I intellectually *know *that weather gets colder, but I’ve never lived through anything more extreme than about 10 degrees F.

My dad grew up in ND. One year, the highest and lowest temps for the year were farther apart than the freezing and boiling points of water.

I vote for “South Saskatchewan” myself. A) It with make the North Dakotans feel warmer, and B) it will remind people from Regina that there’s somewhere they can go to get out of the cold. :slight_smile:

Yup. Idaho’s bad too, and Oregon and Washington are no slouch either. I don’t remember ever seeing anything meth-related in Fargo, though. Meth is more frequently a rural phenomenon.

The Arctic lattitudes and western coastal areas of Alaska can be pretty extreme.

Minot just did a major billboard ad campaign here in Regina for tourism. Yes, Minot is trying to get Reginans to go shopping there. I’m sorry, but driving 4 hours just to go to Target is even too low for us.

After reading the opinions in this thread, screw all y’all, I like my hospitable frozen tundra.

Practicing oxymorons, are we? :slight_smile:

:smiley: Just for your information, the lowest temps in all the states:http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/AO113527.html I live in the center of NYS, this winter we got around 7 feet of snow, brag brag. And I recall distinctly the day it was -19 degrees at 7 a.m. and FALLING.

This seems a bit dubious, but I checked and it is true, at least for the state as a whole. The record low in North Dakota is − 60 and the record high is 121. The temperature difference here works out to 181 degrees which is 1 more than that which separates freezing and boiling water (212 − 32 = 180). Both temperatures were recorded in 1936. But they weren’t in the same town. The low was in Parshall, and the high was in Steele, which are two towns more than 100 miles away from each other. But still, that is a huge difference.

The official state tree of North Dakota is the Telephone Pole.

I always thought Green Acres was the place to be?

How extreme right wing are we talking about here? Is it something that’d make someone from the coast of California nervous or the “I’m in a militia to protect our country from the liberal, terrorist government media” types?

The state bird is the mosquito.

Mostly the former. It’s a little more socially conservative, “keep the guvmint out of my business!”, support the troops mentality. It’s also dependent on where you are; Fargo was not tremendously right wing, while the outlying tiny farm towns were more so.

The rural areas have a lot of the anti-government militia types, and there’s a pretty good crossover with white supremacist types (my wife’s older brother was one of those types - a gun nut, anti-government, self proclaimed, “white separatist.” He died a few years ago, but if he hadn’t, Obama’s election would have killed him).

As for the religious/social conservatism - you ever see that movie, Jesus Camp? It was filmed in my wife’s home town. Devils Lake, North Dakota. Her folks live a couple miles down the road from that church.