Aqua gets raped in the pocket book. Or Aqua's adventures at her college bookstore.

Thank God I majored in English. Most of the books I’ve been required to read have been reissued so many times that there’s always a cheap used copy around. (My greatest coup was finding a gorgeous 1888 edition of John Webster’s works for $4, much less than the campus bookstore was charging for the Penguin Classics version.)

But …

You will never find the exact edition a professor ordered in a used book shop here. The campus bookstore learns which texts have been requested long before the students do, buys up every copy in town, and jacks the price up. I shall never understand why this is legal.

It’s also a great example for the kids at their first exposure to higher learning- It’s quite alright and routine to bugger students when you have them over a barrel.

Someday, when I am amazingly powerful, I shall implement the following plan: Humanities textbooks are priced by weight. Science textbooks are priced by the inch (as in the thickness of the spine). Weight and page inflation are not allowed.

This would keep me from spending $200 on the textbooks for two freaking SUMMER classes, one the continuation of the first. The bookstore even tried to rip us off by claiming that the workbook (which one can never buy used) was required, when neither of the teachers even knew it existed. Those bat rastards! I mean, come on … $40 for a used copy of a freaking PLAY! Oooh, how stunning, it’s in French … I prolly could’ve downloaded the entire text from the 'net and printed it out for pennies.

As if the housing costs around here weren’t already anally raping me.

Oooh, don’t talk to me about this. I went to buy my textbook for the phonetics class I had last year, and it was $85. $85! For like, 150 paperbound pages! I asked why’s it so expensive? Answer: “It costs a lot to print the IPA characters.” I’m so sure. :mad: Well, screw that, I thought, and I was right. We didn’t use the fucker the whole semester. In fact the only textbook we DID use was the Italian textbook (and the Hisp.Civ. coursepack, but then that’s a coursepack…)

Well, forget this. Unless I seriously can’t find it anywhere and it’s absolutely essential, I’m not buying another textbook again except for language ones.

(Of course, once in awhile you find a really good textbook. I bought my O’Grady and Dobrovolsky (structural linguistics) for $20 off of this girl and I still refer to it often, two years after the course it was for. This is a good thing. :))

On the other hand, I have never understood people that sell back books, especially books in thier major. I mean, you claim to be interested enough in Psychology to fucking major in it, but as son as the final is over you trade that $50 cognitive psych book in for $10. If you are that certain that you are never going to be interested in the subject again, why are you majoring in it? You love Biology enough that you plan to make it your life’s work, but you never thaink you might want to refer to your Organic Chem text again? It just baffles me, and I see it all the time.

I really realy love that small minority of profs who put thier own copy of the textbook on reserve at the library. Here only the Art History and the basic Biology people do so, but both those classes represent very expensive books for core classes that people take outside their major. Many a poor student has been saved a couple hundred bucks thanks to that courtesy.

As someone who is getting into the exciting world of textbook writing, I am very, very happy to see this thread. Keep it up! Buy them books!

For what it’s worth, though, I gather that it’s the college bookstores who are really making the money on the books. They have a captive audience, and they get a much larger percent of the profit than the actual author of the book.

Ah, flashback. I always made sure to consult my teachers and have all my texts purchased before the class started. I usually saved money because I bought my expensive Japanese texts direct, instead of through the bookstore. So I bought that expensive $60 textbook and brought it to class on day 1. That made me and the teacher the only people with a copy. Turns out the bookstore had trouble getting them, so the teacher just xeroxed the first chapter of her book and made a handout. Then the books were delayed, they didn’t arrive until almost midterm so she dropped the text. That book was horrible, I showed it to native speakers and even THEY couldn’t read most of it.

A few semesters ago, I foolishly took an art history course. Why foolishly? I am neither a major nor minor in that area, and I had no idea how expensive the book was going to be. Stupid of me, since I had experienced, for the past couple years, the festival of ass-reaming that is the collegiate textbook buying/buyback experience. Also 'cause I hated that fucking professor :smiley:

Paid something like $85 for the book. I went to sell it back, and they told me with a straight face that they’d give me approx. $2.00 for it. Apoplexy.

The joy of trying to get your $$$'s worth during buyback is the fact that a prof. will order a book and as he’s using it, say to him/herself, “Hmmm…I didn’t realize this book sucks. I won’t use it next semester.” Your $64 text is now obsolete. You will get NO money back.

One time, right before my second semester as a freshman, I was in the bookstore, on line to pay for my books. All of the sudden, I went into a grande mal seizure, the first in my life. I now have to take medication, which controls things, but I’ve averaged a couple per year in almost four years. Coincidence? You decide.

And this would be thanks to “Weasel” Wally the ex-governor who owes over $300 million to various and sundry people he bilked.

I bet Dave Thomas is sorry he ever loaned him any money.

My one college bookstore victory was, through an initial pricing error, returning a book at the end of the semester for more than I payed for it.

They’re only calling them “recommended”, but one of the two private bookstores here has a couple of books for one of the classes I’m TAing starting next week that I most certainly have not heard mentioned by the prof, that aren’t listed on the course web page, and that I haven’t been issued copies of. I guess I should warn my students before the return period is up…

Just be glad you’re not an studio art major, it is one of the most expensive majors I know, the cost of materials is appalling. I knew one Art History PhD candidate, she had to memorize thousands of images of obscure works. She used to buy THREE textbooks, one to read, and two to cut up to make flashcards (you need two copies because the pictures are printed on both sides of the page). And these were those expensive $80 art books too.
But really, art history books just aren’t revised very often. I’m surprised you got stung on this one.

My major was broad enough that there were distribution requirements inside the major - so while I was interested in major division a, I also had to take the intro courses in division b and c - that I hated with a grand passion. I tended to give away books rather than sell them back and got about as many for free from others.

The one way I did luck out is that all of my profs who had written the book for the class had written the book years ago. (In fact, one was notorious for having taught the same exact class for twenty something years running - the incentive not to fail was that you’d have to listen to the exact same lecture again.) So those books, at least were plentiful and easy to come by.

I’m highly, highly considering going back (already dipping my foot in) and dreading this portion of the school thing.

I used to work at the main warehouse for a large bookstore chain when I was younger, so let me tell you how bad a screwing you’re getting on these textbooks!

On any book purchased directly from the publisher (such as the latest drool from Joan Collins), the bookstore pays half the cover price (plus shipping costs, of course)! On textbooks, you’ll notice, they don’t have a cover price (hmm, seems a bit odd, doesn’t it?), but I can assure you that the profit margin’s the same for a chain book store (as we got to price them when they came in). One day a coworker of mine stumbled across a textbook he had just bought from the campus bookstore and looked at it to see how much we were charging for it. Needless to say, he was stunned. Had he bought the book from work without using his discount, he’d have saved a heafty chunk of change! (Discount 33%)

So, check around with some of the better bookstores in your area. You might be able to get them to order your books for you (it’ll take a while for them to get some of them, so order early), but I’ll bet you’ll save a chunk of change.

Currently a sales rep for a major textbook publisher, at least for another month…

Why are books so high?

First off, the bookstores have a 25-30% mark-up on the new text from the publisher. This covers their freight and overhead. The eFollett website has some more information on this from the bookstore’s perspective.

The used book market is even worse. Texts are bought from students at anywhere from 10-50% of the new book price to the bookstore depending on edition status and if that text is still going to be in use at the school. These texts are then usually put on the shelf at the same price as the bookstore is charged for a new book.

That paragraph looks confusing. In real numbers…

New book price from publisher to bookstore: $72
New book price from bookstore to student: $94

Above example sold by student at buyback: $20
Used text back on shelf in bookstore: $72

Used books are a great deal for the student and the bookstore, but horrid for a publisher. I think we make it worse because our reaction is to raise the price of the text to cover fewer sales for the life of the edition. Raising the price only betters the used book deal. I think we need to re-read our own econ and business books but I’m not in charge. But I digress…

From the publishing side of things, books are expensive to produce. Costs for creating and publishing a text can run into the millions of dollars. Not only are we publishing the text, but the professors are demanding Instructor manuals, printed test banks, computer test banks, power point, overhead transparencies, websites, videos, distance learning courses, and more. And don’t forget the student ancillaries, especially the study guides and multi-media CD-ROMs.

Each of these items must be budgeted for, authors found, and editorial and production teams created. Many of these items are very expensive to produce and we provide these free of charge to each instructor in the course. For one of our History of Art texts, the slides alone cost us, the publisher, almost $500 when we provide them to an instructor.

So the overhead involved is one factor. The second factor is the used book market. In a one semester course, say freshmen english, we might sell 3000 copies of a new text for the Fall Semester. With buybacks, that number will drop to less than 1000 copies in the same course the following fall. Essentially we have to recover our total cost of prducing the text within the first year of sales for an edition.

No insider tips on saving money, but some advice when buying used books. Always open to the preface and look for a section that describes the basic student package included with the text. Make sure that any items listed as shipping with the main text are packaged with the used book. The biggest problem is software and CD’s we package, especially with the language texts, not being returned with the text so the next student whou purchases the book is missing an essential component. When buying a used text, make sure that stuff is there because we, the publisher, usually won’t sell those items separately. And if we do, we price them so that buying them outside of the package will cost more than buying the text new.

Aqua, I’m right there with you. My first semester of nursing school just started. The main class has 9 -NINE! - required texts. When we got in to the first day, the instructors said bring book name to lectures, and other book name to lab, and use the others for at home reference. We will never use 7 books, nor discuss materials contained therein for the class, nor do instructors provide directed reading list for the texts or recommended lookup information for references. Great. Another class has 3 books, all of which we will use, and a third has only one book (halleluja). Add in the book for the math class I’m taking, and I’m looking at, lessee…
[ul]191 and change to the bookstore,
95 to BN.com,
348 to amazon.com,
and another 110 to BN.com [/ul] for a grand total of…

$744.00

Oy, I wish I hadn’t added that up. Looking at that number makes me feel ill.

My father, A radiologist, Went to a seminar/conference back in the early 80’s. The price for the whole thing was outrageous. When he got back he looked over the reciept he found much to his suprise that the price had included a $995 dollar book that was about 100 pages. Basically the arrogant prick who was giving that part of the lecture decided his notes and example pictures should be published in a book. It was a production run of only a hundred or so, and when all the production overhead gets smushed into that few edditions sold, it gets absurd.

Well, it wasn’t at college but I sure got ripped off the year Gilderoy Lockhart was our Defense Against The Dark Arts teacher!

I completely understand the ridiculous prices at college bookstores - last year I spent a total of $1550 ($700 in first semester, $850 in second) on textbooks, CD-ROMs, workbooks and coursepacks.

However, one glowing exception to this was the Nutrition 100 course that I took. It wasn’t a required course, but it was interesting and it will be useful for me in the future. A lot of other people in my big class (about 300 students) were also not taking it as a required course. The professor, a really nice lady, realized this and took action!

When she was chosing the textbook for the course, the cheapest one that she could find (that would have the required information) would have cost about $120 (Cnd). So she hired a student in her department for a month or two during the summer, and had the student put all of the information on a CD-ROM. There weren’t any copyright issues because it was all her personal notes, and all information was referenced and credited appropriately.

Total cost = $17

The actual labor costs were about $8, but since she distributed them via the bookstore, instead of herself, the bookstore added another $9 onto the cost - still a bargain.

My fiance, Jim, is telling me about his fifth year of university when he went to buy his course books at the school bookstore. The cashier needed to change the prices manually due to price changes not having made it into the computer, so she managed to charge him a grand total of $11.95 for 20 textbooks. Didn’t even bat an eye as she asked for $11.95 or gave change for a twenty - for a stack of texts as long as your arm. Jim paid his money, took the books, and ran (he claims to have felt guilty for about 4 seconds - this was his fifth year, mind you. He had been screwed by the bookstore four times already, and his ethics were kinda worn out by that time, I guess :D).