Arctic ice twice the area of the UK melted last week

Looks like bad news for polar bears. Yet still the corporations find scientists willing to sell their integrity and pay them to manufacture doubt where there should be none.

Well, keep in mind, they’re talking about an annual summer melt; and then ice forms again in the winter. But it appears a lot more is melting this year than in previous years, and less of it might re-freeze.

I don’t know how reliable this site is, but according to the National Snow and Ice Data Center :

I can’t reproduce it here, but this is a pretty good visual of how the sea ice has changed since 1978. I don’t pretend to know if that is a long enough trend to be meaningful (its apparently how long we’ve had satellite imagery of the area), but you can see where the sea ice was in 1978 compared to where it is as of 2005…and according to other things I’ve seen its retreated even more this year. Whats interesting to me is how the areas effected have seemed to shift. If you look at the 2004 graphic and compare it to 2005 there are large areas that were ice free in 2004 that are covered now…and vice versa. I have no idea why that would be (again, I don’t even pretend to play a climatologist on TV, let alone actually understand this stuff)…but it is interesting in light of the OP’s cited article.

The long term trend seems to be pretty clear though (even taking out the sensationalist stuff from the OP)…the sea ice is gradually melting over all, even if it tends to melt more or less in a given place. This figure shows the general trend downward, and claims that there is more than an 8% decline per decade.

-XT

Also from The Guardian: The melting is triggering earthquakes in Greenland.

You haven’t answered my question, BrainGlutton.

The IPCC’s third assessment report in 2001 predicted a sea level rise of 9 to 88 centimeters by 2100. But a lot of news we’ve seen since then, this story included (and see also here) indicates the process is happening a lot faster than previously expected.

(One thing I have seen nowhere is an estimate of the maximum possible rise – i.e., where sea level would be if all the icecaps melted completely and the world ocean’s average temperature were the highest it has been since the Paleozoic.)

So…to nail you down here BG, you think a meter rise is possible or probable within the century?

-XT

Hopefully nuclear winter will cancel out global warming.

I think it’s definitely possible. Too many unknown variables to say more. At any rate, I won’t be buying any beachfront property. (What’s the job market like in Denver?)

I have read that a maximum melt–Greenland, Antarctica, everything–would yield a 100-metre rise in sea level. But I don’t know where I read that.

Edit: here’s a USGS site that quotes data from another study as yielding a maximum 80-metre rise. Hmm. My apartment would be on the beach rather than underwater, then.

That sounds about right. Greenland alone would yield something like a 7-m rise and it is actually a realistic scenario that it could completely melt especially if the mid- to high-range scenarios for temperature rise predicted by 2100 play out. The thinking originally is that it would take millenia to actually do so although now there are indications that the process might be able to happen more quickly because ice sheet disintegration seems to be a highly nonlinear process in which a lot of it can occur by ice sliding and disintegrating rather than melting.

I am not sure how much of Antarctica could realistically melt. I believe the amount that some think might be reasonable gives a number pretty similar to the rise from Greenland’s melting.