Are airlines no longer allowed to discriminate on exit-row passengers?

I always try to get the over-the-wing exit row seats. Not only do I get more legroom, but being over the plane’s centre of gravity, I get a smoother ride. Of course, if there’s an accident, I’m far more likely to die, what with being over the fuel tanks and all.

Flight attendants. :smiley:

Here are cards from an American 767 and a Delta 757 showing the window-exit door being placed on the seats. On the other hand, here is one from a JetBlue A320 that shows it being thrown outside. I have noticed disagreement among US airlines on this point, and I once asked a flight attendant about it, on an airline where the card said to lay it on the seat. She told me that that airline’s concern was that the exit door might become an obstacle to evacuation if it was pitched outside.

I actually asked this once when asked this question while in an exit row seat.

The FA said that I was to go through the door as otherwise I would be partially blocking the exit route. What they wanted was for me to open the door, get rid of the door in a way that wouldn’t block traffic or be a hazard and go through. Helping people at the bottom would be fine.

Whether the FA was correct, I cannot say but it was the answer I received. :slight_smile:

Is an airline allowed to lawfully discriminate as to who may sit in an exit row?

Yes. The FAA regs posted elsewhere in this thread offer details.

Is it unlawful discrimination to prevent someone from sitting in an exit row who may be physically incapable of assisting others in an emergency aboard commercial aircraft?

No. The FAA regs posted elsewhere in this thread offer details.

That is the answer that our cabin crew would give as well.

I’m glad you clarified. It was probably gratifying for the FA to see someone actually paying attention to the brief, and if something had gone wrong you would probably have had a good idea of what to do.

Having recently had occasion to move around doors (EDIT: overwing emergency exit doors, to clarify!) from a CRJ-200 and a CL-605 (literally, move them from one spot to another in a hangar), I was actually moderately surprised to see just how heavy they were (and these were green, without the additional pound or two of internal liner on them).

I’m not all that fit, but I’m not a total weakling either, and I’m of above average height for a woman (5’6"). I can easily see someone smaller than me - or overall weaker than I am - having trouble moving and manipulating those doors. The handle positions are somewhat awkward and the door height is such that grabbing them top-and-bottom is also somewhat difficult.

I know the extra leg room is nice and all, but if you really don’t think you can do it, please leave that seat to someone who can! (not directed at you, md2000, just commenting in general :slight_smile: )