Are comma splices acceptable now?

The future is in ellipses … invest now … they can be both period … and comma … at the same time …

I have had letters to the editor published in the Washington Post. In each case they exchanged a few emails with me showing me the edited version to confirm that it didn’t change the intended meaning and that I didn’t object. They did take a certain amount of liberty with the original even though there was nothing that was a flat-out error.

OK, I never knew that.

You’re right, that is a terrible sentence. First, the plural ‘characteristics’ is wrong, since only one characteristic is referenced. And if a characteristic is shared, it is redundant to say it is the same one. However, the colon is defensible. A colon is a marker that indicates “Examples follow”, and indeed, the writer here followed the colon with an example. As in “There is only one God: Allah.”

I also disagree with the argument that the comma is wrong. My opening sentence (You’re right, that is a terrible sentence.) is defective by the same rule. In a technical treatise, it would require some kind of a conjunction, verbal or punctuation, but as a casual remark, anything other than a comma would rob it of impact. There are times when a point is better made with a broken rule. An argument becomes much less forceful if you have to keep distracting your listener by replacing “they” with a pedantic “he or she”.

Also many clichés and near plagiarisms.

I read somewhere that the semi colon is falling out of use on the grounds that so many people do not understand it. We also have, over here, an attempt by local councils to remove possessive apostrophes from place names.

These.

It better be, as it’s the only correct mark.

You should not disagree. It is an abomination in the eyes of Allah.

Aha! The old, “I know the rules, therefore I can break them,” gambit. It only works if the author has demonstrated that he knows the rules, and few people today know the rules. I don’t, for instance. I take what I’ve seen and incorporate it into my writing, making up BS reasons what the rule is and why it was made. I like the usage I’ve seen in 19th-Century novels, which were written to be read aloud. There I’ve found that commas, semi-colons, colons, and periods (full stops) are sometimes used as rests are in musical notation, corresponding to quarter rest, half rest, dotted half rest, and full rest. The author was orchestrating the reading. (Note: I don’t know music, either.)

I think the U.S. government banned apostrophes in place names more than a century ago, granting an exception only for Martha’s Vineyard. It had something to do with the use of apostrophe-like symbols on maps.

Is that what happened? I cringe when I see the town name Downers Grove. Not that I know any members of the Downer family. (obvious joke skipped for once)

I’d have assumed this was the case at most papers. For one thing, if the letter-writer displays ignorance of language, it might be fair to question that letter-writer’s expertise on the topic under discussion. The newspaper employee choosing letters to publish might decide to leave intact such clues to the letter-writer’s intellectual talents.

For another thing, it’s cheaper to have no actual editors-who-proof-and-correct on staff. (“Self-editing” is the rule in many modern workplaces, unfortunately.)

Elmore Leonard used them, too–to better effect, in my opinion. Leonard’s purpose was to show the inner thought processes of his characters. (Is it possible that Rowling admired that technique and sought to emulate it?)

Here is a page on using semicolons: http://http://theoatmeal.com/comics/semicolon :smiley:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookingWithGas
I have had letters to the editor published in the Washington Post. In each case they exchanged a few emails with me showing me the edited version to confirm that it didn’t change the intended meaning and that I didn’t object. They did take a certain amount of liberty with the original even though there was nothing that was a flat-out error.

That was also my experience.

Fixed your link there MsKaren.

Thanks, rsa. I was distracted by the supermoon. Yeah, the supermoon. :o :smiley:

I’m not sure that “near plagiarism” actually means anything.