Are crows smarter than us hoo-mahns? I thought 'birdbrain' meant dumb

Bumped to show another video of a clever crow: - YouTube

“Now we’ve taken this theory one stage further. If we increase the size of the penguin until it is the same height as the man and then compare the relative brain sizes, we now find that the penguin’s brain is still smaller. But, and this is the point, it is larger than it was.”

HuffPost article background on this video.

The moment I saw this old thread pop up today I knew it was because of the BBC video.

When I was a grad student, my first project involved using mist nets to catch birds, which we banded, took a blood sample and released. We wanted to recapture them, take a repeat blood sample, and identify birds who tested negative for (a number of) viruses on the first bleed but who seroconverted on the second bleed.

I have ZERO data on crows (and very little for corvids of any type) because although I routinely caught them the first time, they were NEVER foolish enough to be caught in the net a second time.

Some other birds would fly right back into the net after being released.

Suffice to say you did not make music a second time at counting crows?

:smiley:

That video with the 8-step puzzle would have been a lot more impressive if the researcher weren’t there in the cage with the crow. As it is, we have to ask whether the crow was figuring out the puzzle on its own, or Clever Hans-ing it. Though admittedly, Clever Hans is also impressive, just in a different way.

Dolphins too. Study: Dolphins Not So Intelligent On Land

There’s no baseline for comparing intelligence between species, since it’s impossible for us to divine what actually goes on inside an animal’s mind. (Heck, even the human mind itself is practically impenetrable.) However, within the Aves clade, they are among the most intelligent of all birds – even smarter than hawks and other raptors, which are actually quite dumb by comparison.

I heard a piece on blackbirds on NPR a few years ago. I searched for it but couldn’t find it. NPR mentioned that blackbirds (crows?) have been seen to participate in a funeral of a fellow bird. I thought it very interesting.

According to this, chickens are, arguably, comparable in smarts to dolphins (although, admittedly, the main burden of the piece is that dolphins are not nearly as smart as many people like to imagine).

I get a pay wall with that link.

That BBC crow video was amazing.

Here’s a crow who enjoys sledding down a roof.

This ain’t no crow bar. THIS is a crow bar!