Are orange/yellow male cats more likely to be friendly?

Pontier in the second article I linked to ( perhaps better read at this link ) notes in the conclusion : Such a genetic polymorphism for aggressive behaviour is known for other species of mammals (Keeler 1942; Lea 1943; van Oortmerssen & Bakker 1981; Pasitschniak-Arts & Bendell 1990; Benus et al. 1991). The association between behaviour and coat colour has also been shown in different mammal species (Keeler 1942; Lea 1943; Pasitschniak-Arts & Bendell 1990).

So it may not be so outre a possibility. Pontier notes in the introduction that increased aggression is “strongly suspected,” so it is hardly a slam dunk - as you imply there are a number of things that may trigger agonistic encounters ( which I assume is what Pontier et al. are basing their observations on ) that could confound behavioral studies. But it does also line up neatly with the FIV infection rates she and her fellow researchers turned up. There certainly seems to be a hint of something going on with the biology of orange-coated cats that is different from that of other morphs.

The big orange male we had was a mean, unfriendly bastard. My two sweetest cats were both calicoes; one mostly black, and one an equal mix of orange, black and white.

YMMV.

My orange tabby was an absolute terror to anyone except for me - he was a long hair. His nasty disposition didn’t prevent me from loving him best

I had an orange tabby who lived to 19 and was an asshole till the day he died.

I’ve had 2 male orange cats. Neither were particularly cuddly but they weren’t completely anti-social.

They were both dumb as a box of hair, though.

Making broad statements about the personality of a cat based on its fur colour? Isn’t that racist? Or something.

Hrm…she does have a touch of white, under her chin and on a paw…I think, she’s sleeping all curled up. I’d call her just orange and white, though perhaps the darker orange stripes could be the third color. The creamy guy is just two colours, no stripes. B ut to me they are just my Little Orange Cat and Creamsicle Dork. (Their nicknames, of course)
Murphy-girl

Dresden Regal-dorkboy

There was a thread about this theory a few years back.

Somebody posted a video of an orange tabby male in (probably) a shelter - solo cage in a wall of cages.
They had named him “burger” - the cage door was open and the poor thing was in full defensive mode - it looked like it had no ears (yes, they can completely flatten them) - hunched on it’s rear feet in strike mode, and you could see every tooth in its mouth.

Not what I’d call a loving cat.

Until I got my own (who promptly marked the entire yard), there was a dilute orange tabby male who would come by and let you pet and stroke all you wanted. When you stopped, it would actually attack - swat, and (in what proved last) time - tried to bite my knee - he got a swat across the face for that.
Does he count as a “nice kitty”?

I agree that trying to connect color with temperment (in cats or any other species) is a waste of time - way too many variables, and there are a whole bunch of orange tabbies out there.

Same as with Siamese - they are not neurotic, vicious creatures any more than they a sweet cuddle bugs - I’ve known one absolute bitch of a seal point female and several absolutely sweet purring machines.

Same here. My “tuxedoed” tom was the bestest cat I’ve ever seen: he’d drop a toy at my feet, look me in the eyes and meouw when he wanted to play, go for long, unleashed walks in the woods heeling me all the way, hop onto my shoulders and relax there for a purry nap, meet any dog or child with tail and neck held high etc.

I read these entries, and I am motivated to tell you about my fabulous cat, Cilantro. He was brought to me by the neighborhood children when he was 3 1/2 weeks old, and on his deathbed. He recovered from his previous living situation with someone who had taken him from his litter at 2 weeks old, born of a feral mommy.

Cilantro has Bengal ancestry. His features changed to be more tabby-like when he got older, but he started out very ambitious in his attempts to fly from high perches, and loved water. He was a passionate, fun kitty who took many showers and baths with me, and who ended up fracturing his femur indoors. He was immediately mended, no worries, just don’t put that Bengal kitty in a room with children’s theatre set pieces and high perches for him to try to fly from. He may not have Bengal in him, on the other hand. Orange kitties vary.

His mom somehow knew Cilantro was with us when I took him in. She used to hold vigil outside my home located on a very busy street, in the inner city. She would sit just close enough that she could escape if I came outside. She actually was orange too, and prolific.

Cilantro ran away from me once, when I was away on vacation. He had been an indoor kitty since he came to me, so it was his walkabout. I had left him with the wrong cat sitter who left the door open and handled Cilantro’s adopted kitty-sister so as to cause her pain. The cat-sitter didn’t tell me for a few days as she didn’t notice, in the inner city, and then was ashamed. Like his mom, he is immensely loyal and committed; he made his way home through our inner city neighborhood 10 days later. I was frantically searching for him a few times a day, and I think someone may have snagged him for herself and then let him go when I showed up at her door with flyers…or he escaped from where he was. For the first few days after his return, he was constantly checking the doors and windows as if he was afraid of someone coming for him, or as if he had been chased by someone who was trying to catch him.

He is neutered, but it’s hard to tell. He has a certain machismo to him, and likes the female kitties. Right now he is doing his meow-meow thing in the wee hours by my front door for the mating season, but won’t do it if I am not well, or trying to meet a deadline.

I just know that he has a wonderful personality with depth and complexity. He is smart, he is loving, but he is discerning about whom he cherishes. He is great with children, but he does not allow them to pick him up. He is excellent at establishing boundaries clearly and without a shameful resonance, except when an adult is not respecting him. I have never hit him, and he remembers who has hit him. He knows it is wrong. He also knows about children, and treats them differently from adults. He is great in the classroom, clear about who he is, and brave. He chooses whom he cuddles with, and develops relationships over time.

Orange kitties, like humans, have a lot going on with them. I feel fortunate to have my orange kitty with me as a partner in my community work.

[QUOTE=Which makes me sad because my boy (solid black) is the most affectionate cat you’ve ever seen.[/QUOTE]

My wife and I have shared our home with nine cats over the years and both the black cats (one gone, one sticking kickin’) have been the friendliest and gentlest.

For what it’s worth I don’t believe the color OR the breed of cat tells you anything about their personality.

I’ve also had many cats over the years, of every conceivable type and color. Every one of them has been playful and affectionate. But the three best have been a Maine Coon and two solid black ones.

Over the years we’ve had cats, the tuxedos have been the friendliest.

I wonder how they’d do a study to measure cat friendliness by color. ‘Studies’ of pet behavior ostensibly seek to eliminate subjectivity, anecdote and bias and make everything all scientific…but are measuring something which is basically defined in terms of human perception. And there’s a strong interaction between owner and pet behavior. That for example makes the Breed Specific ‘threat’ thing with dogs a complete joke, but it seems to me applies to some degree to cats also, despite their greater independence/lower degree of domestication.

Anyway my anecdotal experiences are a) a ‘red’ (orange striped) cat my mom had after I grew up. Big and tough, defined muscles and veins on his forelegs, quite a cat, converted from outdoor to indoor, never neutered. He wasn’t cuddly, but in his own rough way a friendly cat, very straight forward personality. And b) my sister had an orange male who was very sweet. Our grey and white female cat when I was a kid was very sweet too, but our original grey striped female was not human friendly, and my mom’s last cat, a calico female, a near 20 yr cat in the end, was a nut case. You’d easily get scratched or bitten by either of the last two when they’d known you for years, when they liked you, relative to other people.

I’m more of a dog person in recent decades.