Are pickup trucks with convertible cargo bed roof a thing?

That was about 35 years ago, and I don’t have any photos. But the bed area had a sort of lip around the top. I think most people drilled through the top of that to secure it permanently. My dad set the topper on it as though he were going to mount it, but used C clamps to secure it. Maybe @SmartAleq can post some pics.

Yeah, it’s pretty simple–the shell has a rim that’s rolled a little bit upward and the top of the bed is rolled a bit downward, so you get four heavy duty C clamps with screwdown closures and clamp the four corners of the shell nice and tight. The usual method of installation is to drill through the top of the bed rail and use bolts and nuts to fasten it all down. You can tell if a pickup has had a shell on it by the drill holes left behind. The C clamp method avoids permanently damaging the truck. Wouldn’t work with an actual camper unit, that would have to be properly installed with bolts but for just a plain simple shell the C clamps work great.

There’s another popular accessory that goes with pickup shells. If you have a sliding pass-through rear window on the cab and on the shell, you can get an inflatable doughnut to fit between the two to keep the wind and rain out when both are open.

I think my dad used some pieces of wood between the clamp and the topper. The idea was to spread the force of the clamp across a larger area of the topper to avoid cracking the fiberglass if he got it too tight.

Pickups are the vehicle of choice for testosterone-crazed young men. Of course they speed on the highway, they’re the most common speeder there is. Also tailgater, weaver in and out of traffic, etc.

Both the new Rivian and the Tesla Cybertruck have power tonneau covers. Just press a button and the tonneau cover slides out on tracks. It’s a hard cover.

While that’s true, I was talking about those with convertible roof / camper shell :wink:

I haven’t been able to pinpoint which Rivian model it is, but based on the Cybertruck, it seems that Tesla was trying to employ a mix-ed up approach. The roof height reaches up all the way to the cab but declines toward the tail. Add about a half of the usual volume it can cover.

I won’t why they don’t go all the way up.

Good lord, yes.

We drove from Green Bay to suburban Chicago yesterday afternoon, on Interstates 43 and 94. In the first part of that trip, the speed limit was 70; we were doing about 77, and we had a very large number of pickup trucks (among other vehicles) pass us, many of them going substantially faster than we were.

The problem with an automatic convertible is all the mechanisms required to open/close it and the storage space for it once it’s open. There’s simply nowhere to put any of it unless you want to take up rear seat or bed space. The truck that EnolaStraight posted is 100 times more practical, and you’d still have to store the canvas.

Here’s a company that makes something similar (though it looks like they are not quite as tall as the one in @EnolaStraight 's picture.

https://softopper.com/

(I googled “Canvas pickup bed cover”, and got that company, and a number of other similar sorts of covers.)

A cousin of mine once had one of those. A cop pulled her over thinking she was driving SUV with half the roof ripped off.

Um yep, I think this is the bigger part of the reason. I may have to look again how convertible coupes store their roofs. But if manufacturers really want, I guess they can always lower the sides of the bed next to the cab in their design to make space for the folded roofs.

I think their product’s height is just right. Any higher than the cab and it will not only face windy problems but will also affect mileage.

If you scroll down in the https://softopper.com/ link @kenobi_65 posted, it shows how the whole top folds down to leave most of the bed usable. I’m not selling them, I’ve never even seen one in person.

My guess it that a tonneau cover sufficiently meets most owners needs, and allows the flexibility for most loads. There are multiple options for roll-up, foldable, and/or easily removable tonneau covers. I have a roll-up cover on my pickup bed currently, and I love it. It is water tight and easy to roll out of the way for taller loads or to load items from the top (like mulch or brush). It has been rare that I need to keep something dry that is both taller than the bed and shorter than the cab (where a theoretical convertible top would come in handy), and when I have been in that situation a tarp was sufficient, or I did not expect to encounter wet weather.

Also should mention the tonneau cover holds my cargo in place very well while speeding, tailgating, and weaving in and out of traffic. :wink:

My dad put one on the back of his truck. Rather than permanently affix it, he used several C clamps so that (with some help) he could remove it if he wanted to put something taller in the bed.

That’s a standard installation. Theyre never permanently attached to the truck bed.

You convinced me. Not only with the tonneau, but your driving skills also :smiley: