are raincoats popular in India, SE Asia and other rain-season places?

Incidentally, Meghālaya means “abode of clouds” - a bit of a giveaway, really.

To answer the OP: You don’t often see raincoats in India - as others have said it is a question of temperature and humidity. Most often people will just wait indoors somewhere until it passes. If you’re in the middle of a heavy monsoon shower an umbrella or a raincoat won’t do you much good anyway since the main problem is water rising in the streets!

Miami weather appears to involve 4 seasons, but each of them 6 months long. On the two rainy summers I spent there, rain would start about 7:45 and stop about 23:45, which is jolly good fun if you like waterparks. It rained cats and dogs too, none of that gentle rain I was used to seeing in regions with Atlantic weather.

Locals didn’t bother with either umbrellas or ponchos, they just dashed from building to car and car to building as far as they could. People would keep shoes at work and bring in a change of clothes: one which stuck with me was this drenched guy entering a bank branch in sandals and loud summer clothing, walking into an office ignored by everybody, then coming out a few minutes later in a smart suit, loafers, with his still-wet hair slicked back, and being greeted “good morning, sir” by every employee.